Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #1 
Trienchieu

Emergency on betta food

Ok I tried to feed my betta a pellets and it won't eat it so it sunk, and I tried to pick it out and my betta attacked me so I lost the pellets somewhere in the gravel! The pellets are extremely small! Will it be ok if the pellet stay in the tank? Its only one pellet. Help please. I think I'm doing water change on Sunday. My tank is a half gallon. Yes I know it's not good but help!!!!!!!!
Trienchieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 
Amphibianite

Calm down, 1 pellet is not a big deal. We feed our fish the same aqueon pellets. While you do need to do water changes on a half gal well daily.
Have you tried soaking the pellets in garlic juice to get him to eat? Try other foods too. I find using what is known as salad shrimp (small precooked shrimp) I dice them up very small and soak the pieces in some garlic juice. They are a wonderful treat and you boy will adore them
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #3 
Trienchieu

How can I feed the pellets before they sink???? Those sink in like 30 seconds
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #4 
Amphibianite

Sometimes they do, mine actually float no problem. I have my finger just above the water then gently let the few pellets fall. This makes it so they don't break the water tension and float. Also my boys know when it is feeding time so there are there to eat them as soon as they hit.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #5 
Myates

How long have you had your fish? Either use the suggestion above and soak in garlic juice, or smash it into smaller pieces or just pre-soak in water before adding. Those will give your fish a better chance at eating it fast enough.
Feed 2 pellets 2 times a day, if you can, highly suggest also feeding a variety of foods such as frozen brine shrimp/blood worms, flakes, etc. If a pellet or two falls to the floor it's ok. Sometimes the fish will find it later and snack on it. It won't hurt the tank normally, BUT since you are using such a very small cup of water then you do need to be doing 100% water changes daily-every other day at the least with the proper additives to keep the fish alive and healthy. With such a small container, food build up isn't good.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 
brownmane

Yeah, sometimes the pellets sink expecially if you are placing them directly into the water. Dropping them from slightly above the water will let them float. Also check your food. It is betta pellets and not sinking pellets? Also, depending on how long you have had your betta, if he's new to you, he may not know that you have food. Usually after a few tries, making sure that he sees your hand, he will know that you are giving him food and will come right to wherever you are dropping the food. Bettas are quick learners and are pretty fearless, as you found when he attacked your hand
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #7 
Bresn

It attack????I put my hand in the tanks to do stuff all the time and they just move away.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #8 
Trienchieu

I only had the boy about 3 days. I can choose to feed him the nutrafin max betta flakes or aquaeon betta pellets, the pellets seem better but I don't know wat to do with the flakes. He "attacked" me by when I retrieve the pellet, he swam really fast and kinda like body slam on my hand, it didn't hurt but surprise me lol
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #9 
Bresn

It mighty be you touch it that happen to me,try feeding flakes.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

I have 2 kinds of pellets, floating pellets which float for a bit and a smaller kind that sink after like 5 seconds...I wouldnt use the flakes though. They are messy and can cause constipation or so I have heard.

I think they can still find the pellet if it falls into the gravel.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote