Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 
JAB91

First Spawn Log, Questions.

So im new to this site, i recently came up on it after researching Bettas. I have a few questions, i recently attempted to breed my CT Male and HM female. they have been conditioning for about 3 weeks now. Ive been feeding them live bloodworms, frozen BBS and frozen Daphnia. The female is HUGE and has the white spot under her belly.
She isnt displaying any vertical bars but has just recently been flaring back at the male when he flares at her. does that mean she is ready?
Before she would just go pale with stress bars. Can someone help?
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

The white spot between the ventral fins is called the ovipositor-this is where the eggs are dropped...

What spawning method are you planning to use and how is your spawning tank setup...size, live plants, additives....etc.....

How old are the breeders and is this their first time to be spawned, how is the male acting toward the female when you let them see each other, besides the food-what else did you do to condition them and what type of containers do you have them in for the pre-spawn conditioning, water temps...etc....

What kind of culture are you going to use for fry food

Can you post pic of the spawning tank...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 
JAB91

Thank you..

well im planning on using a hobbyist method, my tank is a 5 gal with lots of fake plants on one side, heater, 2/3 full .

not sure what age, there both pest store bettas, first time mating, the male is crazy about her. he keeps flaring at her and dancing for her but the female was not into him before . she would run from him and get stress marks but i just recently noticed that she has been flaring back at him when he flares at her. there both in 1/2 gal tanks and can see each other. i do water changes every other day, water temp is 74 .

i have bbs for the fry and bloodworms and daphnia culture.

my camera is currently broken but i will try to get something up asap.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What are you going to use for the fry grow out.....5gal is okay for spawning, personally I would fill it to the top-more volume never hurts...can you get any live plants? what about tannins...got any IAL or Oak leaf......

Good that you are not using the spawning tank to condition....this can make spawning easier for your first attempt....and using bare bottom....this is good.....

If they are both dancing for each other......I would introduce them...as long as you have plenty of places for the female to get away from the male to rest...leave them together.....she should go to him in a head down position and don't be surprised if he attacks her a couple of times...she will return....it is normal to have a few nipped fins and missing scales.....try not to disturb them, keep you hands out of the tank and sit back and watch....the spawning act can sometimes be a bit violent.....as long as you have the spawning tank setup right...all should be fine....it can take an hour to days....have patience.....good luck and keep us up dated.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 
JAB91

I had live plants but they just died on me :'/
and i have a larger 20 gal for growout..and i will have to get some oak leafs.
Thanks for your help and advice OFL!!!