Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

10 Gallon w/ Filter Water Change Question

I will soon be setting up a divided 10 gallon tank with a Tetra 5-15 Power Filter. This will be the first time I have ever used a filter. I know I need to baffle the filter, so I will use the tutorial for that, but how often and how much water do I need to change weekly?

I am leaving soon for USAF Basic Military Training, so I bought the larger tank and filter to make it easier for my family to care for the 2 Bettas I own. Also, I do not have enough time left to Cycle the tank, and I don't trust my family to do it themselves
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 10gal filtered/divided and no live plants- with 2 Bettas-newly setup....without water testing products on hand...for the first 4 weeks....twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include vacuum

In week 5-reduce the water changes to 50% weekly with vacuum

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month starting in week 4/5...

If you have water test kit-base the second weekly water only change on ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater....

Your family member that will be taking over the tank care...have they cared for aquariums before....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #3 
Vaughan06

She use to have huge aquariums 20+ years ago, but it is the Betta needs and necessities that she isn't familiar with.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The reason I was asking is due to the little things we know and do...lol.....like the importance of dechlorinator, feeding, proper temp...etc.....but if she has kept aquariums even 20 years ago....I am sure she will know most of that and you will make a list to help too.....have her join here so we can help her out if needed or have her PM me and that it is your Bettas and I will be happy to help her out while your away....
Be safe.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #5 
Vaughan06

Thanks for the info. I will definitely make a list of things to do.