Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Urgent Help-Betta on the edge of death

Ok I am very sorry for the novel but there is no other way to explain this. So I had a divided 10 gallon with 1 male 1 female. My female had popeye so I treated her but she sadly passed away this morning (RIP Asparagus). I totally ditched the 10 gallon so I un-retired my 2 gallon Aquascene FULLY cleaned it to put my remaining male in. When I put him in he just sank to the bottom with his belly up breathing heavily. I went away for a few minutes and then he came back to life and swam around like he was mad at something. Then he sank down and is currently laying on a plant breathing very heavily and not moving. I dont know what to do, put him to sleep or is there other options? I just want to know if he is suffering. Please help. I am sorry but I dont have time to fill out this whole sickness thing, I have to keep checking if he is alive or not. Thank you.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I can't be sure, but it sounds like he's having a bad reaction to something in the tank. Take him out immediately and put him in dechlorinated water with tannins if you have them. Put him in a dark, quiet place to de-stress and check on him frequently. I hope he turns out ok, that's so scary!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Are you sure? Sorry I forgot to mention he was breathing heavily before I moved him over and we had a little trouble getting him out of the net too. I don't know if that helps. I just think netting him and moving him again is gonna put his stress level over the top..you know what I mean?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 
Myates

You didn't use soap to clean the old tank, correct? Poor guy, wish I knew how to help =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

No I didn't. Oh my gosh this is so hard to watch him just lay there after you have seen him so happy and active. You dont know the feeling until it really happens....
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

Oh ok sorry I thought that he didn't start breathing heavily until you put him in!! That's true, it might stress him more to move him, but it might help him get to the surface easier if he's in a shallower container. It's your choice, but I would definitely dim the lights either way, and maybe add some tannins to soothe him a little.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Myates

Lower the water to only about 4 inches or so, keep the temp at about 80-82 and dim the lights. Add in the tannis or stress coat. I'm sorry I don't know what else to do =(
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

I dont know what to do the temp. in the tank is going up and I turned off the heater to try to control it (dont worry I am keeping an eye on it). Would it be bad to just leave him in that tank? Maybe add some aquarium salt? Geez I really dont know what to do because he isnt eating either. Ugh this is a rough day for my bettas...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Ok stress coat instead? I've got that.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 
Myates

Did you put him in a different container with new water?