Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #21 
BlackberryBetta

Ahhhh, as soon as I go over to check on him, he go nuts and starts swimming around like crazy. Like it doesn't look normal at all. It looks like he is going mental or something. I am going to lower the water level and cover the tank up with a cloth. I dont think he actually has a swollen belly.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #22 
Indyfishy

I know it's hard, but I really think you need to QT him. With the way he's acting, he's likely to hurt himself by flailing around like that in a tank with decor and gravel. He is sick, and since he's sick he's going to need 100% water changes everyday until he gets better, and it's much easier to do that in QT. Once you move him, you won't have to move him anymore for tonight and most of tomorrow, and you'll be able to observe him better. I know it's not fun to move a fish that's freaking out, especially a sick one, but it's for his good. Get some dechlorinated water ready, with Stresscoat and epsom, and pour it into a small container that can be floated in the tank to maintain warmth. If it won't float, clip it to the side or tape it. He'll be alright, and it might help him to relax a little by being in a more confined space.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #23 
BlackberryBetta

Are you sure the salt isnt going to hurt him? I don't have epsom salt, I only have aquarium salt.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #24 
Indyfishy

AQ salt only helps with external problems, so unless you can see something that's abnormal on his outsides then no i wouldn't add that. AQ salt can be irritating, and will probably make him stress more. Also, I wanted to ask if his gills look alright. Are they normal looking or are they inflamed???
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #25 
BlackberryBetta

Definately inflames. Guys I am freaking out, could it be Tuberculosis? I am really scared that I will get it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #26 
BlackberryBetta

And could my other fish have had it? that passed from what looked like popeye?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #27 
Indyfishy

Definitely not TB, if it was TB he would have open lesions all over him, a curved spine, and lots of other icky symptoms that he doesn't have. Inflamed gills makes me think ammonia burns, how often do you change the water????
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #28 
BlackberryBetta

Oooooh, um I think that may be the guiltly cause. I did 25% changes like every 2 weeks. I know that is horrible. I am so sorry, please dont think I am a horrible fish keeper.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #29 
BlackberryBetta

My other fish had a kind of curved spine, she would curve into an L shape but when food was present she would instantly get out of it. This was about a day before she died. What are the syptoms of TB in people?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #30 
BlackberryBetta

I'm really scared of getting it guys.