Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
Jaclyn

Fin rot? or tail biting?

"Pontus" One of my betta's is suffering from fin rot right now, but is being treated with AQ and is improving.

This is my SD DT Valentino. I have noticed some missing edges on him for a while now, but he hasn't shown any signs of fin rot. However this is what he looked like 2 days ago and the 2nd picture is him today. opinions and help please!
Attached Images

Jaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 
Jaclyn

I forgot to mention he is also refusing to eat and has for about 4 days. He looks a little bloated but not bad.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #3 
Sakura8

I'm not sure why he'd refuse to eat but I can say that chunk out of his tail looks suspiciously like he's becoming a tailbiter. As for the eating, have you tried different foods like frozen bloodworms?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
Jaclyn

I alternate between bloodworms and crisp pellet like food. Also he's in my avatar pic and the way he looks now compared to that pic that was taken about 3 weeks ago he looks pitiful.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

Looks like hes biting his tail, try fasting him for a day, dont offer any food, then, clean his tank out 100% (or 50% if its a larger tank) re-arrange the decorations, and after re-acclimating him to the tank, try feeding him
(this worked for me after Herc started tail biting and then refused to eat)
also, if possible, try throwing in an occasional mosquito larva if you can find them
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote