Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

causes of weight loss??

I am currently treating a fishie for internal parasites with Jungle's clear parasite fizzies. However Im not completly sure if that's the issue.

My understanding is that if he had parasites he would have white stringy poop but his is normal. So I am wondering if there is anything else that can cause weight loss.

He is currently in about 2 gallons with the fizz tab and Epsom salt.

The only real symptom is weight loss and clamped fins. Sometimes he is lethargic, sometimes he is swimming around.

Not the greatest picture...and his gills have always looked like that. he was in bad shape a few months ago when i found him...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

anyone??
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #3 
Sakura8

90% of the time you'll see the white stringy waste but there are some parasites that can cause the loss of weight without ever showing up in the waste. I hesitate to mention this but mycobacteriosis causes wasting but since you keep your water clean, I really doubt that is the cause. Note I'm referring to it by its scientific name to avoid stirring up panic.

Another possible cause could be ichthyophoniasis, which is a fungal disease that bettas are very susceptible to. Has the skin color darkened at all? If you look closely, do you see any boil-like lesions or a strange sandpapery texture to his skin?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #4 
omgitslph

My poor lando never had a stringy poop (he never really pooped at all, really) in his life and he had worms coming out of his nose! :(

By any chance is your tank not filtered? I used jungle fizzy tabs when treating lando and they didn't seem to be working...until I bought a filter. I just ran the filter without the carbon stuff and within a day his worms were falling out. It's worth a shot to try while the rest think of anything else that could be wrong with him since I have no ideas. x_x
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Quote:
in his life and he had worms coming out of his nose! :(
hehe..I had that too but with a different fish. The worm thing went away on its own. No medication except AQ salt and daily water changes

Nope, no filter. He is in a storage container that is a little over 2 gallons.

Sakura - I dont think its TB. For one thing, he isn't dead yet and the other fish from the divided tank are fine.

Quote:
Another possible cause could be ichthyophoniasis, which is a fungal disease that bettas are very susceptible to. Has the skin color darkened at all? If you look closely, do you see any boil-like lesions or a strange sandpapery texture to his skin?
His color seems to be the same and his skin looks smooth. No raised scales or sandpaper like texture.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #6 
Sakura8

What meds do you have access to? If you're really nervous, you can stop the Jungle Labs and try a combo of Maracyn-2 and General Cure. That'll take care of both internal parasites and internal bacterial infection, but it's kind of a powerful whammy.

I didn't think it was TB either (I don't think fish catch TB half as much as people think they do) but it IS one of the diseases that causes wasting so I had to mention for that reason.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote