Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #1 
Laki

got into trouble :/

The other morning I woke up to find Lakitu had managed to waste most of his caudal fin (the tail?). I immediately assumed the makeshift leaf plant I put in there near the top as his basking leaf bc the underside turned out to be plastic (the leaf part is silk) and he loved it so much and was always rubbing it and dancing around it...
So now his tail is all messed up. I ran out of salt treatment days (from the fin rot and fungus, which seems to at least cleared.... For now-_-) bc he's been on that for 10 days and yesterday I came to the harsh realization that I don't have a penny to my name until Thursday.. Already short on my rent for this month
Lakitu is swimming fast and fine, he's eating, he's stil a scary dragon and I'm wondering if he will be okay until I get out Thursday to get stress coat?

(*ps, the second pic I posted bc I like it ^.^ Looks like a moon silhouette!!)
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

If he is acting normal, I think he will be OK. But are you sure the plant did that? To me it looks like he bit his tail but i'm not fish expert.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #3 
Silverfang

I'd have to wonder about the biting myself. He should be okay til payday as long as you keep him in clean water.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 
Laki

Water is very clean!! I make sure of that! And I turned off the bubbler to see if it was stress related. I don't know the symptoms of tail biting, like I said this damage happened literally over night! I went to bed and woke up he was like this :(

Yes, he is acting fine though! I will get stress coat as soon as I can!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Looks like tail biting to me. :/ Same exact thing happened to me a couple years back with one of my first boys......turned out to be my first biter.
Have you changed anything recently? Added/removed anything in/around his tank?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Here is a pic of my chronic tail bitter as a comparison to yours.

I did a water change, fell asleep while he was floating in his cup and when I woke up he looked like this.

If they are bored, stressed or angry the may bite their fins. I think its mostly the longer fined ones like halfmoons and veil tails since they have the longer, heavier fins but I also have a crowntail that bit off most of his tail fin overnight.

You can try moving things around in his tank if its caused by boredom.

Do you ever see him swimming in circles, kinda like a dog chasing his tail? if so, he is probably snacking on it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Laki, I have to agree with everyone. I've had my fish get caught on a plant before, even saw part of the fin hanging off the plant. It doesn't do nearly that much damage. I think Lakitu is a tailbiter. He'll be fine, just keep the water super clean. If you really feel nervous and you want to treat him, check your kitchen and see if you have any non-iodized salt. You can use that in place of aquarium salt. But it must be non-iodized. Also, if you have a decaffeinated green tea bag with no added flavors, you can soak that in his tank for maybe half an hour until the water changes color. That will release tannins that will help relax him. But it has to be decaf and no added flavors.

Good luck with Lakitu and keep us posted!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 
cjayBetta

Coco's tail is the same way... One morning I woke up and it looked like that.. finrot takes time to develop. I stopped it by moving his tank upstairs. My daughter sits there and talk to him and tells him stories for hours.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #9 
Laki

oh dear!! Thanks for the help guys! He must be doing it at night then, I have never seen him swim in circles. He always watches me when I'm at the comp and grazes up and down the glass and around the air bubbler tube (which has been turned off!)

I had him on non-iodized pure sea salt but I have to have him off for a week before I can put him back on it! (by then I'll have Stress Coat)

The only thing I can think of that changed was a new tank, he's been in it since Aug 23 (still have the receipt, might return it) and the bubbler tube. He currently has no tall or floaty plants bc I need to get some and the one he had which I held at the top of the tank with elastic is what I thought ruined his tail and I removed that too. Tonight I'm cleaning it, like after I post this, and I'll add it back with the moss ball.

So I might have a prospect for a 3 gal acrylic tank if they sell me a filter or heater or something with it for the price they're asking -_- would Lakitu mind being moved around or so you think he likes smaller tanks??
I thought the bubbles would be okay for him since he seemed to like them coming from a syringe at playtime but how would I keep him from acting bored and tail biting then?? I have tall silk plants on my list of things to get this week but they're so hard to find safe ones!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Biters can bite for the oddest reasons.....some are obvious and sometimes easily fixed by adding/removing something....and other times its completely puzzling as to why they bite. Sometimes they bite because they're stressed over something....and others its because they have just suddenly realized theirs this colorful floating thing behind them that keeps chasing them
Bettas.....such silly little creatures -.-

Anywho, its hard to say how he'll react to the new tank...it might distract him from his tail, all the space and new places to explore(as the issue with bettas and larger tanks is usually plant cover, not water volume/tank size), or he might nibble on his tail again.
Then again, he could also just keep biting regardless.....
So I, personally, would go ahead and move him once you get the new 3 gallon set up and all that. Unfortunately, you won't know what'll happen until you try...
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote