Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #1 
Citrusy

custom aquarium stand

ok i want to know what the best wood would be to use. its going to hold a 40g tank and also a 10-20g tank. maybe a few little 2.5g tank later.

originally i was going to go with pine, but it dents easily and may or may not be able to hold that much pounds.
also was told oak would do very well.

so what would be a good wood to go with? i would like a cheap kind of wood. but not be so brittle to buckle.
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm going to bump this so you can get some answers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #3 
laughing

The guy at my hardware store helped me a lot with this..

He says any sturdy type of wood for the "frame" and legs will do. He suggested a nice one that is easy to sand down and stains well so it can be whatever color you want with your decor but an easy-to-do task.

The major thing was that he suggested you use these brackets to hold the legs (you put two woods together on the edges to form a 90 degree angle and the bracket inside) that have this "extra support" on them? I forget what they're called but they aren't flat brackets, they have this large bump in the middle of them.

Also, use the nice wood to build a "frame" and then keep where the tank will fit in hollow but have a rim around the inside of it. Place a thick piece of plywood on this rim. He said that plywood is much more weight resistant compared to most other woods and won't buckle or crack easily. Especially for something like a 10 gallon it will hold it up very easily and nicely.

I hope it makes sense??
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote