Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 
neldridge

first betta - few questions

I haven't had fish since I was pretty young and recently setup a 10g for my gf to have a betta.

1) I have a 10-20 filter, it provides a lot of flow. I'm wondering if it may be too much for the betta. It doesn't have any form of regulation, I've considered finding a way to slow the flow some, but nothing has came to mind yet.

2) is it normal that he's constantly swimming on the edges, swimming into them? I figure its possible that he's not fully adjusted yet ( only had him for 20ish hours )

3) temperature in the tank seems to be sitting close to 75-76f. Is this suitable? I came in today to find him sitting by the heater, which leads me to believe its probably a little cold for him. The heater I purchased is not adjustable, and claims to keep the water at 78f, I purchased 2 thermometers, one for each side of the tank, they're both showing about the same.

I hope to keep him for many years and not torture him with cold water and too much water flow.

Thanks in advance!
neldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 
dragonflie

As for the filter; you can baffle that, maybe try using a filter sponge stuffed in it to slow the flow; and depending on how heavy finned he is, consider taking a similar sponge and cutting an "X" or a hole in it to cover the intake.

All my fish (including non-bettas) spent a day or two learning the boundries of their home. Once he figures that out though, he will likely spend alot of time doing the "feed me" dance on the glass when he sees a friendly human. ;)

78 -80 would be better; and since you have a 10g I highly recommend purchasing an adjustable heater. There should be more than enough room for one in there if you don't plan on dividing the tank. Not only do I find them more reliable; but in certain cases where you might want to increase the temperature (such as more natural treatment of ich) you will have the ability to do that.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Also you could get a filter made for a 5 gallon tank thats what i did, and my 5 gallons have filters for 1-3 gallon tank size. And as far as swimming into the tank wall he may be able to see himself, I know my boys chase their reflection around the tank.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 
neldridge

I had considered taking the filter back, or keeping it for another tank and buying a new one but I'm tight on cash.. So I'll take your advice on the sponge and see what I can work up.

I was in a hurry to buy the equipment for my gf (for a surprise) and didn't really have much choice on the heater, but I'll see if I can't find a new one. I'd like to have a 5 gallon upstairs at my desk with a betta, so it may work well for that. (I want a black crown)

Thanks for the quick info, I'm pretty nervous and worried about keeping the fish healthy and not abusing him.

Pretty typical colors for a LFS, but it doesn't take away from his beauty.

I plan on adding a black background- removing the fake plants and getting some easy to take care of live plants.

thanks again!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
dragonflie

Aw, he's a cutie!

Try not to be too nervous; bettas are hardy little creatures, and the important thing is that you are asking the questions now instead of later.

Your tank looks beautiful. Only other thing I would recommend is some sort of cave for him to hide in. Bettas really appreciate them, and the more for them to explore the happier they are, in my opinion.

If money is tight you don't even need to spend alot; there is alot you can do yourself, with a little imagination and possibly silicone aquarium sealant. :) Some people use terracotta pots (usually 1 dollar or less), or glass cups, candle holders, etc.; and you can glue gravel or other something else aquarium safe to it. There is a DIY thread in the forum somewhere with lots of great ideas, it's worth checking out.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #6 
neldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
Aw, he's a cutie!

Try not to be too nervous; bettas are hardy little creatures, and the important thing is that you are asking the questions now instead of later.

Your tank looks beautiful. Only other thing I would recommend is some sort of cave for him to hide in. Bettas really appreciate them, and the more for them to explore the happier they are, in my opinion.

If money is tight you don't even need to spend alot; there is alot you can do yourself, with a little imagination and possibly silicone aquarium sealant. :) Some people use terracotta pots (usually 1 dollar or less), or glass cups, candle holders, etc.; and you can glue gravel or other something else aquarium safe to it. There is a DIY thread in the forum somewhere with lots of great ideas, it's worth checking out.

Yeah, I'm trying not to be..

Thanks. i think the plants could be arranged a little better.. moving the big red one to the left so the smaller one is in the middle.

Sponge worked like a charm, I just stuck a small piece on the inlet slotted part, I can move it down or up to regulate flow. I had turned off the filter earlier, I'm hoping with it back on now and the water flowing that the heater will be able to keep up. I'll invest in an adjustable regardless, just might be a bit.

Yeah, I might be able to find an old cup or something-- or even a piece of PVC.. I definitely wouldn't worry about the water flowing too much if he had somewhere to get out of it.

I'm going to try and find some aquarium safe paint, I have some thoughts about what I'd like to do, but I'd like things to be black to match. (not sure if this is possible, but I'll do my research before hand)

Thanks again, great info.