Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 
Talon71

Cool This Can't Be Normal...

Hi Everybody...

I came across something today that has me totally baffled. Thus far, I have not been able to find any literature, forum, etc. that can help me determine if the behavior I am observing is normal or an anomaly... So I figured I'd give a shout out to everyone else here... perhaps what I am seeing isn't as nutty as it appears

Here it goes...

Alright, I own a male Crowntail Betta and he is beautiful! (not that I am biased or anything ) His name is Vulcan (after the Roman God of Fire, I am not referencing Star Trek!) I have had him only for one week and he has appeared relatively happy & healthy... Understand, before I go any further, that there is "no female betta" within my household. Vulcan is the only fish that I own.

This morning, when I came in to check on him I noticed a large amount of bubbles in the top left hand corner of the tank where he resides... when I got a little closer to the thank & he saw me, he swam towards me and flared his gills... My thoughts at this point went all over the place: "Is he sick?... oh wait, it's a bubble nest, so he's okay... No, maybe he's not okay, as I don't think he's supposed create a bubble nest & behave in this manner without a female present." (yes, I know that male bettas are aggressive in nature...)

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is this normal behavior? I haven't been able to find anything to explain it... His swimming pattern has even become more aggressive, and this has all happened overnight... So I guess I'm worried...

I was able to snap a photo of him flaring his gills a little bit ago, so I have attached it to this thread...

It's my hope that someone can shed some light on this for me... I don't know what to think or what to do for him
Attached Images

Talon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

It's a normal behavior c: Basically he's feeling healthy and 'ready to mate' so he's presenting and preparing for it on the off chance that a ready to breed female that he likes falls from the heavens. It's a good thing that he's feeling good enough to want to reproduce and building bubblenests is something to entertain himself with.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
Talon71

Thank you so much! I was really worried & feared that I had erred in his care... In lieu of his current behavior, should I wait to change the water in his tank?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 
krelda

Lucky! I've yet to have a bubble nest surprise in Balthazars bowl, I hope he makes one eventually
krelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

To add-Bettas, fish in general have limited perception-they mostly function on instinct...it is instinct for a male Betta to build a bubble nest and wait for a passing female to spawn with...they don't know that a female may never show up or that on the other side of the tank walls that it isn't water, although, bubble nest building can be a sign that the Betta is healthy, happy etc......this isn't always true since this is instinct driven.....the urge to reproduce is strong and even in poor water quality, poor health...etc....a breeding age male Betta may still make a bubble nest......

Make your regular water changes and destroy the nest....usually they will make another one in no time and this is good exercise for them too....

Lovely fella...nice find......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 
Luimeril

my orange CT, Zidane, builds HUGE, MONSTER nests. .3. it's a very good thing! :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #7 
Talon71

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies! You all have been so helpful & I really appreciate it :)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #8 
CrowntailTwitchy57

congratulations on the bubble nest! give him an extra bloodworm for me! ^-^
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #9 
fishy friend2

it is perfectly normal, one of my newest bettas did this hen i first got him and he was fine
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 
BettasDeserveBetter

Yes, perfectly normal! Good luck!
BettasDeserveBetter is offline   Reply With Quote