Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 
Trobar

Thanks and an update

One week since I bought Jake for my granddaughter. He is still alive and from I can tell doing just fine. I found a larger tank in our basement thinking I would be able to use it but alas, when I took it out of the base to wash it i found a crack. Thankfully I found the crack before I filled it up with water. This means Jake will have to survive about a month in the small 1g tank he is in.

I know many of you suggested I get some kind of heater for the tank. I cant seem to find one quite small enough but the thermo I put inside his tank was reading almost 90. I immediately turned off the tank light and floated a frozen water bottle to bring the temp down. Since then I have been putting in ice cubes I made out conditioned water (I dubbed these fish cubes to my family so they wouldn't use them in their drinks). Is there a better way to cool the water down?

Also, I took my granddaughter to the pet store again today (BAD MISTAKE) to look for pricing on bigger tanks for Jake. She fell in love with the cute Glofish. Anyone know if these are compatible with male bettas and would the blue light have adverse reactions to Jake.
Attached Images

Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 
caitic10

No they aren't. Goldfish may look small, but each goldfish needs 20gallons. :)
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #3 
Trobar

Glofish not Goldfish, the glofish are the ones that glow under blue or black light and are a genetically enhancement to the tetra
Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and what a wonderful thing to share with your granddaughter.......

Love your tank.....

Lots of different opinion on keeping this species of fish...

IMO/E-the 1gal tank is fine for a single Betta provided that you make the needed water changes, don't overfeed and remove uneaten food withing a reasonable time...

In a filtered 1gal-water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month...

In unfiltered 1gal-twice weekly water changes....1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality.....

For the water temp-if you have a filter-you can remove the hood, lower the water level so you have more water movement to assist with cooling the water, dechlorinated ice that you are already doing (good idea by the way) you can use those small battery operated fans that you hang on your neck and clip on the tank to blow across the water, turn off the light and remove heater (already done)

How is he tolerating the 90F water-sometimes healthy Bettas will tolerate the short term heat without any issue....mine I have outside are in over 100F water and tolerate it...point being-although 90-100F is not ideal....healthy fish can tolerate it when its short term and usually the temp will drop at night and it can even be different at different levels of the tank....watch the Betta and if he seem to be in distress-slowly lower the temp....too fast can be as stressful as the temp itself.....

To add a school of glofish- yes, they are compatible with a Betta, however, you would need at least a 10gal filtered tank to meet their swimming and social needs....also, even though they are compatible with Bettas-sometimes-due to limited space even in 10gal tanks-you can have issues in regards to fin nipping, injury, death....either from the Betta on the glofish or glofish on the Bettas.....every fish can be different in their tolerance to other fish....you also can have feeding issues in mixed species tanks-often Bettas can be pigs and overeat fish food fed to the glofish or the glowfish are so fast that the Bettas doesn't get any food.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #5 
Trobar

He seems to be doing ok with the higher than recommended temp. As for the glofish, the reason we went to the petstore was to price out 10 or 20g tank setups. leaning toward the 20 due to the slight difference in cost. Now all I have to do is make the 20g seem like my hubby's idea but if I could talk him into buying 100 butterflies to be released for my grandma's 100th birthday (measly 300 dollars hehe) I'm sure I can get him to agree on the 100 dollars for a tank set up:) Will NOT tell him Lina will probably want to spend another 50 + on decorations
Old 09-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Oh no! Thats too bad it had a crack....but at least you were able to discover it before filling it up and having it leave everywhere.
And the 1 gallon will be perfect for Temporary housing until you get him something bigger so long as you keep up with the water changes and all that :)

I its quite common in the summer time if you live in a warm place(though that light might also be contributing....maybe best to just keep it off. Don't worry, he doesn't need it.)for tanks to stay on the warmer-side even without a heater...the frozen water bottle is the most commonly-used method I know of, but iced dechlorinated water sounds like it would work just as well. Just keep trying, it'll eventually cool down.

You'll want to get a heater though any way for the colder months, which are soon approaching(depending on where you live). If don't plan on upgrading before then, You could try a 25 watt submersible, adjustable(this being very important)heater. It may be a little large, but so long as its adjustable it just might work.
Perhaps check around online as well for something smaller?

Glofish are sadly not compatible with bettas, I'm don't think....they are a genetically altered version of he Zebra Danio, which are very fast-swimming, fin-nipping, schooling fish. Not only do they need to be in groups, which would require at least a 10 gallon, but their quick movement would bother a slower-moving betta, and they would likely nibble on his long flowing fins....not to mention the bright colors of the Glo-variety might spur a betta into attack-mode and he might go after them.
Glofish are sadly quite expensive for what they are and tend to be on the unhealthy side IME, as they are altered genetically with Jellyfish DNA. As pretty as they are, I wouldn't recommend keeping them with or without a betta.

But, anyway, I'm very glad to hear that Jake is doing well, and happy to see some pictures! Hes quite a lovely boy :)

Edit: Aaaaand I was beat to it :P I need to be faster...
I'd still disagree the the Glofish compatibility...but thats just my personal opinion and experience. :/

Last edited by DragonFish; 09-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
caitic10

Gah...Im stupid. Lol I misread. :P

Sorry!
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #8 
Trobar

One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a 20g tank is the glofish Lina wants..we do soooooo much for our kids and even more for grandkids. Besides a 10g set up is 60 at petsmart (topfin brand) and the 20 is only 80 (marinesomethingorother) so for the 20 dollar difference, I don't see why I shouldn't get the bigger tank.

As for the feeding issues DragonFish mentioned, Jake KNOWS when he is to be fed and is right there at the top of the tank, swimming semi patiently for the food to be dropped thru the hole. The food never even gets to float the 1/2 inch to the side of the tank let alone drop to the bottom. My concerns are whether the glofish would get enough food or if Jake would gobble up everything in sight get bloat or worse and if the blue light that is recommended for the glofish to see the brighter colors would do anything to Jake.

The heat issue will be solved once I get a larger tank. I live in PA so this is the end of summer here hot summers, cold winters. For now I will continue to make my fishcubes with treated water to help keep the temps down.

One more question. (for now at least) I have to go out of town for my grandmother's 100th birthday. I'll be gone approx 48 hours. Will the fish be ok missing a feeding? or do I need to ask a neighbor to feed him.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #9 
DragonFish

Theres ways around the feeding issue when keeping bettas in community tanks with other fish....the best way, IMO, is to catch him in his cup or get a breeder box and float him in that, feed him in there, feed the rest of the tank, and then release him once everyone is finished eating. It may be a little more work, but this will prevent any issues of the other fish eating his food/him eating the other fishs' food and ending up bloated....and eventually he should learn that the cup/breeder box means food and be willing to swim right in for feeding time.

No, the blue light shouldn't bother him I don't think....I'm not sure what that will do as far as viewing him and his colors, but I doubt it will hurt him.

If your going to be getting the larger tank within the next month or so, then that sounds just fine to me. :)

Since you're going with a 20, you'll want to take a look into the Nitrogen Cycle and start preparing for it. I suggest doing this either fishless, or with just Jake(which will take a little longer and require some frequent partial water changes), then slowly adding a couple other fish at a time once your tank is stable.
In order to test your levels, you'll also want to get a Liquid Water Test Kit, API brand is a good one.

He'll be fine missing a feeding or two. Bettas can survive two weeks without food....a couple of days is nothing. Just be sure to do a water change before you leave, and you should be all good. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote