Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Fin rot??

Oh my goodness. First I get the ich in my big tank cured, and now Stitch seems to have fin rot -.- I'm not sure it is though, can you guys confirm?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color enhancing betta bits, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 2-3 pellets or worms at a time or a corner of the shrimp cube, fast on Sundays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Alternate 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe plus water conditioner, FloraPride

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins have become extremely ragged, no sign of biting evident. There is a clear line about 1/2 to 1 centimeter into his caudal fin. The edges do not
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has become very lethergic, will only eat about 1 or 2 pellets at a feeding (down from his usual 3)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night, became much more evident this afternoon when I got off work and checked on him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 1/2 tsp aquarium salt (pre-dissolved) in the tank, no stress coat yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's from a pet store, so I have no clue.

I can't get a decent picture right now, I'll try later.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are the fin tips discolored, crusty, ragged looking....a pic would really help.....

Since you are adding florapride....I assume you have live plants.....how many and what species.....

If you are going to do a salt treatment-I would QT and use a therapeutic dose....depending on the plants you have some are not tolerant of salt and by using salt in non-therapeutic dosage you risk resistant issues....

QT in a small container- float the QT in the heated tank...your goal temp for treatment is 76-77F and Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this premixed Tx water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days while in QT.......

How are you catching him for all the water changes you are doing......how are the plants doing with all the water changes.....Are you sure he is not fin/tail biting or injuring himself on something in the tank.....what kind of substrate are you using.....how long have you had him...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

I have one amazon sword plant in his usual tank. I don't have him in there right now because I've started treatment with the salt (I don't use it regularly), but the hospital tank I have him in is the same size, albiet a different shape. I don't have any IAL, and I don't trust the oak leaves from my backyard, but would black tea work for tannins, or is it not recommended? For water changes, I use a small net to catch him, as he won't get anywhere near me if I try to use a cup. It's very soft with an extremely close weave (think pantyhose tight), and it has never harmed his fins before. The amazon sword is perfectly healthy through the water changes, not a brown leaf on it, and it's growing well. There is nothing in the tank he can injure himself on, I made 1000% sure of that, and the way his fins are, it doesn't look anything like when Magico started fin biting. Then it was definite mouth-shaped chunks in the caudal fin, and Stitch's fins look like someone grabbed at one end and ripped a piece off, like tearing paper. He has smooth gravel in his normal tank, sand in his hospital tank. I've had him for about a month, and he's been perfectly healthy until now. I'm trying to get the picture to send, but my phone is old and doesn't like to send pictures all the time. I'll post one asap.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

Finally got the picture to send. I circled the clear line on the caudal fin in red so you can see it better. It is present on both lobes.

*edit* After a look at his fins in better light, they are indeed black. I'm about to add an extra 1/2 tsp of the salt to the tank (yes, pre-dissolved :D)

Last edited by Bloeduwedd; 09-03-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added details