Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #11 
SKA123

wow poor little fishies. I only have one, and i was hoping to get a girl one, and just put her in a separate tank. O.O i wonder how the fishes are tho...
SKA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #12 
ollief9

Well if the biggest tank is one gallon, I imagine the fish are unhealthy, don't have nearly enough room to move, and are bored.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #13 
hmckin20

ohjeez, those poor bettas.. D|
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #14 
LittleBettas

:(
depressed just thinking about it, poor bettas, I really hope she is lieing about the number.... though I doubt if she even knows the number
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #15 
Rocketscissors

I think that once you pass 20, you're obsessed, and once you pass 30 you're a hoarder.
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I have close to 30 bettas (and over 50 fish) and I wouldn't class myself a hoarder. All my bettas live in a minimum of 3.5 gallon tanks that are individually heated and kept fastidiously clean.

I am hoping to consolidate the males into a large barracks system to cut down on electricity usage and costs, and I can easily see how someone could properly care for numerous fish if they had several barracks in place.

Breeders often house upwards of a hundred adult/juvenile bettas. I don't think they would be classified as hoarding.

Hoarding only becomes a problem when more and more fish are accumulated at the expense of the others. If you are not providing appropriate care for the fish you currently own, you should certainly not be in the position of purchasing any others.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #17 
Pewmew

interesting.... I was just watching "hoarders" on animal planet yesterday and my brother just starts to call me a fish hoarder! :\ currently 32 bettas w/ 2 small saltwater tanks. I'm always able to do the water changes and my fishes are all pretty healthy. blah :\ I need to try harder to resist buying them don't wanna have to end up like the people in the show
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #18 
GreenTea

I agree with what most have said. I had about 5, and now with the rescue I have...10. Along with a goldfish tank with platies and snails, and since the platies keep popping out babies I have a fry tank now too! They all get great care and I have various sized tanks. I love caring for them.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #19 
Tisia

I think how many is too many really varies by each person. some people can and do provide appropriate care for 30+ and some feel constantly overwhelmed by just a few or even only 1. if they're not providing sufficient care for the ones they have and still keep getting more that's when I think they qualify as a hoarder
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #20 
laughing

99 isn't that much if you think of it in a different aspect that 99 bettas each in individual 3 gallon tanks...

For example, you could easily have a custom built tank that is 50 gallons long divided into 2 gallon sections that is built with a custom stand to hold 2 of these tanks. That is easily 50 bettas right there. People do this all the time. Think of the barracks members make on here.

Or perhaps a 55 gallon (normal tank) sorority with 45 girls in it. Maybe someone really likes females and has 2 of these set up and then WHAM you're at 90 bettas already!

But when you said "The biggest tank is 1 gallon" I'm believing they could possibly be in a bad situation.. That's the largest? I understand if a bunch of them were in 1-1.5s and had some up to 2.5 gallons, but that being the largest is kind of... scary?

There are so many ways to make betta keeping easier... You could have drainage plugs for water changes, no substrate tanks, large barrack systems, etc. so don't judge when people on here have 30+ bettas. I can honestly say all of their "babies" are loved and have very lovely tanks and all are well-cared for. Just because some of us may be overwhelmed with that many, doesn't mean others are!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote