Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #1 
Osiris355

my first betta Nova!

Hello everyone. Today i just got my 1st betta half moon fish. i have everything i need for it but i have a question. My betta Nova does not have his top fin/tail up. i know i just got him and he is stressed but will it ever go up? Just wondering. the only thing i need now is a heater but it is still warm where i live and water is 78 degrees f. i will be getting one soon. Thank You.
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #2 
Amphibianite

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

He is probably stressed and getting used to his new home. They will be clamped a bit at first till they figure out this big new world is theirs now.
What size tank do you have him in? Decor?
Did you acclimate him both to temp and to chemistry?

Once against congrats and welcome.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #3 
Osiris355

i have him in a 2.5 gallon tank. i did get him used to the temp but i think it is a little warm. the water as of now 4 hours after getting him is like 82. where i live it is warm so trying to cool it down. as far as chemistry not really. i put water conditiner in it and let sit for 1-2 hours. i also had water sitting out. i also put in the salt to help. Thanks For the warm welcome. for decorations i had 3 plants in there but the one was to pointy so i took it out asap. i have a cave rock that have atleast 1 inch holes so he dosent get stuck. the other plants are nice and he loves to swim through them.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #4 
iloveengl

If you have the ability/opportunity to post pictures, I'd love to see your new friend.

Congrats on your new betta and for making such a nice home for him.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
Osiris355

ill try to get some pics soon. also two more things i forgot to mention. The filter i have seem to be a bit strong for him as far as sucking in water. it pulls him twords it and it seem as he is having trouble getting away. should i get a smaller filter? Also one more thing as far as food what should i feed him. i have flakes and peblets but peblets are too big for him and i know dryed blood worms are for teats what should i feed him because he tryed to eat the peblets but spit in back out because it is to big. the flakes he does not touch.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #6 
Osiris355

Another thing is ick easy to spot same with fin rot of not? just wondering cuz i think nova has ick but not sure.all i see is really small dots white but then somtimes i dont. its weird. is there anything else i should do to help him? i did buy ick treament though.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7 
iloveengl

You could cut the peblets in half with a pill cutter, or crush them a bit with needle nose pliers to make them smaller. Otherwise, you may just need to invest in smaller pellets. Bettas can be really picky eaters. It's part of their charm.

Ich will look like sprinkles of salt. A heavy infestation will look like your fish was just sprinkled everywhere, so much that it can look like blankets of salt crystals.

There are a few ways to treat it. The simplest way, especially for a light infestation, is to keep the water heated to 86 degrees Fahrenheit for two weeks. (Even if the spots seem to disappear, continue to heat at 86 degrees for the entire two weeks to ensure all of the cycles of the parasite have been killed.) With this method, you do not need to use medication.

If you use medication, follow the directions on the bottle. I prefer to try to treat illness/disease without medication when possible, but that's a personal choice.

Another sign of ich is "flashing." The fish will dart around and rub against the substrate, plants, and decor.

The best way to prevent ich is to maintain clean, warm water and feed a healthy diet.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 
Osiris355

Thanks. He does not seem to have ich as he does not throw himself around or have a infestation but i will try to keep the temp warmer. I just wanted to make sure as i know they can get it when in those tiny bowls when you get them.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Just to note, since no one has yet (if they have, pardon the repeat, I sort of just skimmed) but 82'F is fine as constant temperature for a betta fish. I had my 10g at a constant 84'F for my bettas.

Also, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new halfmoon! Hopefully Nova can thrive happily. :)

Edit: If he does have ick, I'm sorry he has it. It's not that hard to fix, though, but going untreated it can be deadly. +1 to Iloveengl for helping you out on that; pics help diagnose a Thai fish's ailment, for future reference. I'm also interested in seeing him. He sounds like he's a tiny little guy right now.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #10 
Osiris355

Nova right now is or laying in one of the plants i got. since im in my room he woke up o just started to move because my light is on. should i leave his light on tonight to hep he get more comftorable or not also should i turn filter off so he does not get sucked in? i can tell he is getting better though because his top fin ever now and then goes up. Yay Nova he also loves the cave i got. tomorrow ill try to get some pics with my sisters camera and post them.