Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Anywhere from 78 to 82 degrees is fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #12 
BlakbirdxGyarados

What kind of filter do you have? He shouldn't get sucked in, but there's a thread about baffling the filter, so he can still have it and not get knocked around in the flow so much. I'll go find the thread now and post it here as soon as I do... He'll be fine with the light on, but since he's new to your home, I reccommend it be off. Having the light off will help his stress level stay down and he can slowly get more accustomed to you and his new surroundings.

Edit: Here we are... the diy baffle for your filter: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-03-2011 at 09:09 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #13 
Osiris355

its a 2.5 gallon filter by aqueon the mini bow filter. and i guess ill leave the light off. i had an idea for the filter putting a pice of little messing around the sucker thing fine enough that he would not get sucked in and have a torn fin. for the water fall part a piece of plastic with a clip i can put infront of the fall to make the water flow slower. just ideas but ill be sure to look at the link you posted. Thanks
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #14 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I've never had any problems with the suction and my bettas tails before, but worrying about it isn't wrong either. Maybe use a mesh fabric or a tube of tank-safe foam?

I'm glad to help out any way I can.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #15 
Osiris355

yep i worry because he is my first betta and he likes to hang out by it but then his tail gets sucked up and he freaks out and trys to swim really fast and hard but i have to unplug the filter and then he can swim away. so as of now i have it unplugged but will every so often turn it on and off when im in the room. since it is a holiday weekend i cant do much as i have other stuff to do but as soon as i can i will make it so it doesnt happen. another reason is he is very pretty. i have never had a fish as nice looking as him!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Wow, quite a powerful filter. I think I'd agree with you then, that you'll have to put something on it to keep his fins from getting swallowed up and torn.

If you don't have anything right now to control the suction on your filter, he'll be alright without it for a while.

Out of curiosity, how often will you do water changes? Most users on the site reccommend something like this:

Su --
Mo 100% wc
Tu --
We 50% wc
Th --
Fr 100% wc
Sa --
Su 50%
Mo --
et cetera.

It alternates as shown. Maybe that's for 1g tanks, but someone else can help with that, too. In any case, that wouldn't be too many water changes.

Can't wait to see what he looks like. It sounds like you absolutely adore him. :)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #17 
Osiris355

I love him! I plane on doing 2-3 water changes a week. First time like u posted 100% second time 50 and the another 50% and another 100%. as for the filter umm I'm not likeing it. Would you recommend getting a 1 gallon one or just modifying the one I have. I just don't want to walk in my room one of these days and see that he was drowned to death because he can't get away.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #18 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Well, a 2.5 is better than 1g as far as room to grow and thrive goes. Those amount of water changes sounds good, though.

A filter I reccommend is Whisper filter 3i. It works for tanks up to 3 gallons and the suction from it isn't as bad as it sounds from the Aqueon one. I had one, but I'm not currently using a 2.5g or anything that small anymore, so it's in storage... I might be putting my new opal halfmoon in it, though. (Random, sorry.)

I also doubt he'd drown from getting caught... I see more of a horror story including a tail-less betta fish. (The filter would keep the water aerated(sp?)) Still, it sounds pretty bad.

If you don't want to get a whole new filter, he can live without one. The water changes you plan on doing is filter enough, though yes, a real filter helps out in harboring good bacteria.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #19 
Osiris355

thats what i though. ill try to making something up or wait till he gets a little bigger and stronger and mabey go back to it. i have been looking a statistics (sp) and people say afterr a few days of the filter running the suction decreases and is good for your betta to live in. What i dont under stand is that they have a betta version of this tank made by the same people and it has all the same stuff as the one i got all thats different is the name. Its called the Betta Mini Bow 2.5. I though of getting that but relized that the regular one is the same as the betta one and was cheaper. Regular one 29.99 on sale it was. the betta one was 34.99. rip off. so i guess ill test it tomorrow and see as he may be stressed and not a strong. if all else fails ill try the filter you sugested. Oh yeah almost forgot does a betta need a air pump? just wonder if that would make them stronger as they would not hae to go to the top so much.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #20 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Prices differ from store to store (a lot of people here have Betta Bows). Though considering it's the same manufacturer, yeah, it does sound weird for the prices to be different.... Bettas are popular fish, though, so that might be why the "Betta Bow" is more expensive: to get more money out of people.

An air filter helps them breathe, yes, but they'll still go to the top out of habit. You don't have to buy one, though I don't have anything against it, either. If anything, you might find him swimming through the bubbles just to have fun. (I had a few bettas do that before, pacing back and forth through the bubbles and trying to eat them. :D )