Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
Amphibianite

Stocking 9 gal Biorb Sorority

So recently came into owning a 9 gal Biorb tank. I am looking into making it a temp sorority until I have enough females to get the sorority I want in a 20 gal.)mostly lack of fund to get that one set up right now) I am looking at probably 4 or 5 females int he Biorb, my question is what else besides shrimp can I put in there? I was think 4 cory cats of some sort. What that be over stocking this tank? It will have a filter and live plants in it. Along with regular water changes.
I don't want to over stock it. This will be a medium term plan being I only have the one girl right now.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 
iloveengl

Corycats prefer a long footprint, so I'm not sure the biorb would be optimal for them.

(Cool tank though!)
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

That is true, I just have always like cory cats. Hmm I will need to figure something out lol.
Yeah it is a nice tank.. I got a complete set up with decor even only missing filter cartridge for 10 bucks at a thrift store. I was so excited XD
Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I agree. Corys need a lot of bottom to scavenge on as that's their preferred area of the tank. They definitely like a long tank vs. a tall one. I think 4 corys and 4 girls is too many for a 9 gallon so I'd wait til you get the 20 and it's cycled and established as corys are also very sensitive fish.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #5 
Amphibianite

thanks for the advice, so any advice on what would work for stocking the tank? Besides shrimp if possible.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #6 
iloveengl

Mystery or nerite snails

or

2-3 otocinclus
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #7 
laughing

I think I would just focus on keeping the females nice and happy then once you upgrade stock with other species! :)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #8 
bahamut285

I personally don't recommend any sort of bottom feeder for this tank**. I own this exact one and the substrate that you are supposed to use* (large sharp ceramic pieces) can easily cause you to mis-locate bottom feeders, especially otos.

Fortunately, due to the design of the tank, it cycles quite quickly, as the ceramic pieces provide A++ housing for bacteria, along with the shape with the bubble tube will provide an optimal oxygenated environment for them.

With this in mind I second what laughing said -- concentrate on your girls.

*you CANNOT put sand in this, nor regular gravel. The way the filter works, nothing except large rocks or the ceramic media provided will work properly.

**I also don't personally recommend this tank for bettas (especially males) but females are a better choice.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #9 
Amphibianite

Thanks Bahamut for the advice. I am going to be using glass marble like substrate. I find it easiest to clean. This is only a temp tank for my sorority until I have enough funds girls to get my 20 up and going. Good to know it cycles fast though. I won't be using it to house any of my girls for several weeks yet.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #10 
bahamut285

Oh, I meant it only cycles quickly if you're using the ceramic substrate. I'm not sure about using glass marbles, just make sure they're big enough or else they will jam the filter.

It should still cycle in the pads though. The ceramic substrate just makes it much faster because it provides additional homes for bacteria.

I hope to see pictures though! I've never seen it set up with anything else :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote