Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #11 
Pataflafla

It's alright. I can't reach the light switch on my fan without standing on my computer chair. I know your pain in shortness, especially when it's a point of pride of being 5'1". Your house is old for sure.

Maybe the breeder is adding extra chemicals to the water for shipping? I know Stress coat has directions on the back for shipping, so that might be it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #12 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... Stress Coat has instructions for shipping? *grabs her bottle* I get bored and read the back, why have I not seen this.

But seriously, thanks for the help. I thought I was doing her good, but I'm usually pretty good at second guessing myself. So the help and reinforcement was a heart-lifter.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

It's alright. Thankfully your learning experience wasn't nearly as stressful as mine. I learned the hard way about bettas shedding their slime coat after I rescued one of my sister's bettas from our mother's cat before too much damage was done. I unfortunately couldn't save the second one, but she was much worse and her abdomen was punctured.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #14 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... From the cat? Yikes.... I can't imagine how that went.... I feel the pain, though. A cat is how I lost Revenant.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #15 
Pataflafla

Yeah, my sister lost the alpha to her sorority a few days ago because we weren't home and my mother's cat knocked the lid off. So far, since the sorority is a chill group, there haven't been problems, but Tokyo was the one that enforced the no biting rule. Elm was the first one my mother's cat got, but I got to her in time and she's discovered that she would rather live out of the water since taking on jumping out of the tank.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Update on Ember:

Had to add this cute face of hers just for fun.

She's acting better overall, but a few times I saw her... randomly spazzing over nothing. I thought it might be her trying to flash onto something (there's no decor in her QT), so I put a little army guy in there to see if she'd start flashing on him.

Only thing she's done is stare intently at him, try to bite off the tip of his gun, stared at his shoes... and that's about it. No flashing yet. Maybe she just got bored or saw her reflection on the glass.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

It's possible. Or maybe she's enjoying the room to swim. My guys will dart all over their tanks sometimes and I know for sure they're healthy.

She's looking better than the first set of pictures. She's probably just an extra sensitive betta so the tiniest bit of dirty water to her is like living in a dump.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #18 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Responding late, but if a drop of dirty water in her pristine(sp?) water makes it a dump, I can tell she's going to be quite the princess.
She's already demanding attention from me like I've never seen in any but one other betta of mine. xD

An update on her:
Last night I noticed her floating on her side a bit... wondered why, but I found out fast. She'd been eating the bubbles on the side of her tank.
I gave her some small pieces of a cooked pea after swiping away all the bubbles I could find. She's fine now. I'm interested in knowing how the bubbles still got out of her... fishy farts?

Anyway,
She's definitely showing more spunk. Anytime I move (she sits next to my computer for now) she spazzes at me. I look at her, she stares at me. If anything... she's likely happy I came to her rescue.

A question...

About how long do I treat her for fin rot? I mean... how do I tell it's gone? When her fins don't look rusty anymore? They are healing, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

If the edges of her fins aren't dark anymore, then I'd say treat for 1 more day (unless it's already been 10 days) and then keep an eye on them.

I do wonder how she expelled the bubbles though. fishy farts or burps?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #20 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I'd like to think burps more than the other way around, but I went to bed after giving her the pea. So I couldn't watch... (as horribly odd as that sounds...)

The edges are still dark, though now that I look at her more closely, they're getting lighter and more to her color. (Which I'm still not sure what color she is....) I've only had her since Saturday, so three days? I didn't think it'd cure this fast, anyway. But I also didn't know how long I should treat her 'til now, so thanks.