Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Swollen/inflammed gills??? URGENT!

Alpine Ice has been having some trouble swimming, I thought he was having a recurrence of SBD since I only treated him for one day
He started havng trouble this morning, classic slight SBD, so I started treating him, 1 tsp of espom salt in a 1gallon QT (he was in a 3 gallon)
Well, he has gone completelly down hill, his gills are swollen/inflammed and he can barelly swim, I put him in a cup so he can get to the surface easier, but I have NO clue what to do now!!!

:(
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Bump
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Best pics I can get with a sucky camera

can anyone please help, last time I asked for help no one answered and my rescue passed away
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Sorry, I just checked the Emergencies thread. Usually it's one of the first places I go. :( How is Alpine doing, is he still with us? Can you describe his breathing for me? And how his gills move?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #5 
omgitslph

I had a betta have this issue not too long ago. Clean water (dechlorinated of course) and aquarium salt did the trick. Make sure to change his water every day as well. Since he seems to be going down hill make sure to keep his water at about 80 degrees.
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sorry, I just checked the Emergencies thread. Usually it's one of the first places I go. :( How is Alpine doing, is he still with us? Can you describe his breathing for me? And how his gills move?

Alpine is no longer ith us :( he passed away sometime this mornin, I last checked on him at 2am
His breathing was slow and steady, he was completely unable to swim, and when he tried it was as if his whole body was stiff

Alpine was EXTREMELLY under weight when I got him, prior to switching him to the 3 gallon, he was in a 1 gallon with 1 tsp of espom salt, 100% water changes every day, he LOVED he 3 gal though and thats were he first started flaring, he went down hill fast, I have another under weight boy, unnamed, and I really dont want anything like this to happen again
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitslph View Post
I had a betta have this issue not too long ago. Clean water (dechlorinated of course) and aquarium salt did the trick. Make sure to change his water every day as well. Since he seems to be going down hill make sure to keep his water at about 80 degrees.
Thats what I switched him over to and that was his temp (he was in my warmer room which keeps the tanks at 80)
He did pass away this morning, I last checked on him at 2am
I am treating my other skinny boy with this though just in case...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #8 
Sakura8

:( I am soo sorry, LittleBettas. Gosh, I wish I had gotten to the site sooner. :/ Do you think it might be internal parasites for the other underweight guy? If so, AQ salt won't help but epsom salt will.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

Im going to start him on parasite treatment tomorrow night, just in case (pray it works and he doesnt go down hill :/)
The parasite treatmnt has worked wonders for my CT, Hurricane, who I got at the same time as Shoebox
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Okay. Good luck and keep us posted.