Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 
roubidoux

new tank for older fish

Hello everyone! I very recently adopted Leo, a sweet little guy who was very sick. Thanks to reading this forum and the great advice I found here, he is doing much better now and is pretty much back to his old self. He has been living in a little 1 gallon tank for over a year, but I would like to give him a bigger home, one that I can heat more effectively. Is this a good idea to do for an older fishie?

Also, would it be too stressful to move him given that he has been ill even tho he's better now? I am doing frequent 100% water changes now (2-3 times per week) and I don't mind continuing to do that, but I would like for him to have more room to enjoy. A related question, if it IS ok to move him to a bigger tank, should I think small, such as a 2.5 gallon or go for a 5-10 gallon tank?

Thanks for your help!
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #2 
Kaoru

Just because you lived in an apartment all your life, doesnt mean you wouldn't enjoy a home. Its always nicer to have more room especially if it was a 1 gallon you had him in. Bettas are usually happier with something around 2.5 gallons, but I personally suggest a 5 gallon if you are planning on only keeping one betta. If you plan to keep around 2-3 bettas, then a 10 gallon would be better. As for the moving, it would only stress him out if the water quality is bad(ammonia, cold, chemicals), but since he is an old betta, I assume you know how to take care of him properly water wise. Just make sure that the water in the new tank you decide to get is similiar to his current to prevent shock. Other than that, I'm sure he would love to have a bigger home :)
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
roubidoux

Thanks so much! 5 (or 10) gallon it is!
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote