Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1 
Potential4Evil

2Male bettas- division question

first of all i want to say this is a temporary arrangement seeing as Baldwick's upgrade doesnt ship for a week. And i have no self control when it came to Ra- because he's a yellow and what ive been searching for.

So anyways. Balwick's original tank seen attached is a 1 gal that came with divider. Thing is- the divider was clear so for a couple of minutes they had flaring wars at each other's backs. It is currently covered in wax paper and both have calmed down immensely- especially Ra who I did want too stressed seeing as i just got him today.

So my question is was wax paper a good idea? Or whats something nonharmful I can use to cover so they cant see each other? Just please remember college school budget and its a temporary fix- Ra will eventuall have the whole gallon to himself.
Attached Images

Potential4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #2 
Bresn

If the wax paper was not there,they will get use to each other soon,knowing there is something blocking them.On one side there are too much stuff,you should take the shape plants out because it can hurt them.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
Potential4Evil

Um ive tested the plants and baldwicks had them in there since i got him- theyve never hurt him...inless ur saying in the small amount of room it might stress them out more or get them stuck
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #4 
Bresn

I'm saying there's less space.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 
Potential4Evil

oh, well what if they hide in them from time to time to get away from the sight of each other? Ive been watching them and im worried if i take them out i take away their time out spots...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #6 
Bresn

Just take 1 or 2 it's just that it look very full down there,if you do be sure to check on him once in a while.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #7 
Potential4Evil

oh well that plant is actually a single plant...so i couldnt take it apart.

I ended up just making a temporary tank out of a recently cleaned throughly gallon tea jug. I cut the top so that i could fold it back and put a heater in there along with the plant u were worried about. He made a bubble nest over night and Baldwick is being arrogant but made a bubble nest again as well over night.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #8 
Bresn

Ok.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #9 
Myates

I wouldn't use wax, unsure what chemicals are in it. They will in time get used to each other, but keeping a dose of stress coat in it (refresh for each water change) will help keep them calm.
I'm assuming since it's being shipped, they won't be like that for much longer then a week or so.. so I would say the amount of plants are fine. It helps divert attention from each other, and places to hide in.
It being a shared one gal I would up the water changes a little then what a normal 1gal requires. 2 50% and 1 100% per week, or possibly 50% every other day until you get your new tank set up.
They have lived and survived in worse conditions prior to you bringing them home. With the proper care (temp/water change/conditioner) they shouldn't have much trouble being in there temporarily. If you do notice excess flaring, you can keep them in an area of the room that isn't as bright to help keep them soothed.
Good luck =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #10 
Myates

And ignore what I just said since I reread what you wrote and saw you made another temp tank. Just make sure the heater doesn't weaken the side of the plastic jug. =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
division, male betta