Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #1 
FireKidomaru

Question 30 gallon questions

So I have a 30 gallon that is now free... ( we gave the 3 MASSIVE fish away to a place that takes very big fish and re homes them ) and my family wanted small fish...like balloon belly mollies, and glo fish and tetras and mollies and basic community fish...is there anyway to add like 4 female bettas with these fish...idk how many of each fish I'm going to get but I'm just wanting to know if females would work with these fishes :) thanks
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #2 
FireKidomaru

No opinions??.....
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #3 
Sakura8

You could. I would add the community fish in first, I think the betta girls would be less likely to be territorial and beat up the other fish. I'm somewhat concerned about the balloon mollies, though. If the betta girls decide to be aggressive, the balloon mollies might have a harder time getting away from them because of their awkward shape.

For stocking, I would actually suggest you narrow it down to one type of fish per level. For example, you could get 8 rasboras who swim at the top, 4 mollies who swim in the middle, and then some bottom dwellers like 4 cories. All of the fish you named like being in groups so it's best to get more of one type than a few of this and a few of that. You'll find the fish act more normally than they would if there were only a few of them.

I hope this helps you. Good luck! :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #4 
diablo13

Erm, not to be rude, fireKidomaru, but all the fish you listed pretty much can't go with a Sorority. Glofish are genetically modified Danios, which are hyperactive and nip, so they stress bettas out. Mollies, Balloon and other, are Brackish fish, they can survive in freshwater but only thrive in Brackish. And they get pretty big and might beat up on bettas. Tetras also nip, the only kind you can keep bettas with is Neon Tetras. Good fish to keep with bettas are Corydoras Catfish, Harlequin Rasboras, the formerly mentioned Neon Tetras, 2-3 guppies( 2 if it's only male or only female), and 2-3 platies( same as the guppies)
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #5 
FireKidomaru

Hmmmm alright I thinking will add the community fish in first...the ones I listed and then put 1 female in ( aura who I already have in a separate tank upstairs) and see what happens...I will watch her very very very carefully and see if she interacts alright with the fish...if all goes well I will add the others....I will be very watchful over this tank...and don't worry I wont over crowd the tank and I will put the fish I choose in groups just the way they like to be
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Sounds like a good plan, FireKidomaru. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

Deffinatley!! I'm rele excited...the tank is cycling and we will get the fishes next weekend..I love the look of the tank too :) it's so clear and new looking :)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #8 
Sakura8

New tanks are so much fun. And getting to stock new tanks is even more fun. You're so lucky.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #9 
FireKidomaru

Well our old fish were WAY too much maintenance...like they pooped so much my filter wouldn't filter it out and they were so big that if we added new fish, the new fish wouldn't survive...they were huge!! So we sold them to a petstore that specializes in big fish
Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I'm glad you were able to find a pet store that would take them. :) What kind of fish were they?