Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 
Fleetwood

So, I have a five gallon tank to be delivered on my birthday...African Dwarf Frogs?

I'm upgrading from a 2.5 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank and I've been looking into African Dwarf Frogs because from what I understand they are basically housed in tiny, cramped spaces as well and marketed as something you don't need to pay attention to, much like Betta fish are.
I was looking into buying some because I've heard that they are excellent tank mates and my fish is young enough to adjust to them accordingly and I loveee frogs. :3
I would like to know if a five gallon would be enough space for them? When would be the best time to purchase them? Now, with the new tank or at the end of the month?
Bloodworms? Shrimp? A plate in place for the frog?

Let me know.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
ds2009

I think most people on the forum would not recommend getting ADFs for a five gallon tank since it is a little small for a betta and a frog (or 2). Also ADF's are very sensitive to many things including changes in water parameters, dirty water, medicines as well as other stuff. They are not as easy to take care of as many people think. Also betta fish are tricky; some may not mind having a friend while others will be aggressive towards others. Even though your fish is young, it still may be aggressive (I had tetras in with my 3.5 month old betta and it terrorized them).
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 
Alex09

I hear they can be a pain to feed... The betta will most likely get to the food before the frogs and you'll have to separate them to feed them and it just seems like alot of trouble.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 
Fleetwood

Alright. Thanks for your input guys. I won't be getting them after all. I know that they're a pain to feed, but that's mainly because they're nearly blind-so research tells me.

Are their any fish that I could possibly pair him with?
I'd like to add something if there's room, I'd enjoy more movement in the tank.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 
Gizmothefreaky

You could do one frog and a betta in a five gallon... But i would only think that a female betta and frog pair would be good (because females are smaller)

My frogs were never a pain to feed, most people are ill informed and think they need to target feed frogs, when really they enjoy looking for their food. My frogs really loved looking for food actually.

I fed them frozen thawed bloodworms and frog pellets. Yes the betta occasionally got a pellet, but the frogs always got enough food.

If you have any questions about ADFs just pm me, ill tell you everything you ever wanted to know.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #6 
Fleetwood

That sounds great, thank you. I'll do that.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #7 
xXbrokencrownXx

Dont judge, ive learned from it, but when I just started I had my betta and frog in a 1 gallon together, and they LOVED eachother. I gave the frog away because he needed more room, and he also didnt get enough to eat. But he's still living with a betta. So they're pretty compatible! I think it just takes patience to own a little froggie :) I used to have them in a tank when I was little and just loved to watch them play haha :)
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

IMO best companion for a betta in a 5 gal- a snail (or three). Or you could divide the tank and get another betta :)

Anything that could be housed well with a betta (Cories, Tetras, Platys...) need groups of 4-6.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, frog, tank