Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 
laughing

Building your own CO2 System?

I have some live plants in my 10 gallon, and I just adore them. My moneywort completely died off now, but I don't mind, I think my pH levels and temperature were off for them to strive.

Anyways, my little bitty wendtii babies are just doing great! They started off teeny, melted all their leaves when I took them from the store to my tank, and within a couple months are now a 'decent' size I would say! Will try and snag pics.. Of course, I'd like them to grow quicker than the rate they are now. Don't get me wrong, their progress is great for their species, I'm just... impatient.

I'm looking at making my own CO2 system, but would like some instruction and cost estimations? I'm also needing to upgrade my lighting, but what kind of light bulb size am I looking at for a 10 gallon hood with 2 light bulbs? I know I should get 15 watts per bulb and a spectrum of 6500k+ on each as well. Just don't know the size I am looking at?

Thanks!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I know you're looking for DIY and stuffs, but I've been told that DIY ones are actually almost too efficient for 10g (for the size)...

Hagen makes a fermentation cO2 system for only $30, all you need is sugar and yeast and it does it :< They sell them at petsmart and petco.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 
Alex09

Co2: Do a search for diy co2, lots of info and tutorials will pop up. You can also find instructional vids on YouTube. Good thing about bettas is that they are labyrinth fish and breathe directly from the air so you dont have to worry about gassing your fish with too much co2 (so long as its nothing extreme)

Lighting: Lights: 10-15 w 6500k bulbs should work fine. CFL's right? You can get the spiral kind that you can find at just about any hardware store. Just make sure they are 6500k, often marketed as "Daylight"[Example]. However some people have problems with these since they may be to big to fit in the hood. This is usually only a problem with the higher wattage bulbs though. Bulbs of 15watts & less should be fine. You could also get something like this [Example]. Little more expensive but of smaller girth.

Crypts are slow growers. They are root feeders so you should have root tabs under the plants for best results. I have recently set up a NPT tank (soil based) and transfered soem crypts from my 28g to the 5g. The crypts are growing so much more faster than they ever did in the 28g (only pea gravel). A little over a month in the dirt tank and they are now about twice as large! so a good source of nutrients for their roots IS important.

Quote:
Hagen makes a fermentation cO2 system for only $30, all you need is sugar and yeast and it does it :< They sell them at petsmart and petco.
This is essentially the same thing as DIY. You could control how much co2 comes out by the levels of sugar and yeast used. less yeast = less co2, longer lasting.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-03-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #4 
laughing

Well the point of it being DIY is because I might be switching everything to my 20 gallon. It's not for sure or anything because my wendtii are sensitive things and I don't really want them to melt their leaves again! :/

I think the second example bulb may fit my hood.. I really like it!! Not too bad of a price, either. I currently have a total of 30 watts, but the spectrum is just so poor and it's INCADESCENT! *GASP* Such poor lighting!!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 
Alex09

yeah, Incadescent lighting hardly does anything for your plants. Just heats up your water. Get fluorescent ASAP!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
laughing

Well I did but then I reliezed the wattage was too large for my hood and it could cause "dangers". *sigh*

I have quickly noticed that in my 2.5 gallons... Turn on the light, within an hour my tanks will be up 2+ degrees! YIKES! I'm switching those 2 babies into 5 gallons and will be getting nice lighting as well for them so not too worried now..

I'll run over to PetCo soon and grab those up! My wendtii don't need too much CO2, it'll be my future plants. I add root tabs to the wendtii and add in some liquid ferts that help supplement iron so they have lovely, thick leaves on them anyhow. Just hoping to amp up the growth amount... I'm wanting higher lighting to make my leaves a richer color and hopefully broaden out more.

I'm researching that CO2 system now... How does that sugar work??
Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #7 
Alex09

Yeast "eats" the sugar. And it then outputs co2. So the less yeast you use the less co2 is produced. Since there is less yeast, it also lasts longer (since it will take longer for that yeast to consume the sugar). The more yeast you have the more co2 will be output. But this also means that your sugar supply will run out quicker. At least thats how I think it goes. I researched all this stuff quite a while ago when I decided to give diy co2 a try. May take that project up again.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #8 
laughing

Does the Hagen come with the yeast? Is that what the '90 days of activator' is?

Hmm.. seems simple enough. Does it work? It's compact, cheap, and seems very basic that I could even work it! Ha ha! If it works I'd love to get it.