Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #11 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... Sakura8, I have just dubbed you epically awesome because of how you ended that.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #12 
Sakura8

I have a special fondness for the original Star Wars trilogy and all who love it too. :D

Although, for Star Trek fans, I have been known to tell them Live Long and Prosper.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

I wouldn't recommend the pea method since I've read such bad reviews on it. If it's constipation, epsom salt should work just fine though. 1tsp/gal premixed should do the trick along with warmer water when you're able to do that. So you'd need 1/2 a teaspoon for each tank. Combine the salt with the recommended water changes and you should be good.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #14 
Kaoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesofheaven74 View Post
i just got doen gluging in the sections of fiberglass like material (small holes drilled in for circulation) with waterproof glueing and plan on trying to move all three living fish into them tomorrow. (after the water heats up to the right level)
The glue that you used, I realize is waterproof, but is it aquarium sealant? If not, it could very well be the stuff people use for water pipes and most of the time those have chemicals that will kill your fish. That glue will hold things up but will end up leaching out regardless of the glue being dry or not. Since you didnt specify exactly what glue you used other than that it is waterproof, I will assume that it isn't aquarium safe. I highly advise you to check the tube to see if it is safe to use for aquariums.
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #15 
patchesofheaven74

ok so i'm in the process of changing the water and wipeing all the rocks off in all my tanks.
how i change my tanks is a use little sandwich bags and gently scoop the fish. then i set the bags (open so they have air) into little cups to keep the sides up and so it doesn't roll away or anything.
then i clean the tank, bla bla bla, drop in a water fixing tablet thingy (it says it's a water conditioner or something like that, for betta fish) then i place the fish (in the baggy still) in and let it sit for a while before gently placing the fish into the new water.

right now they are all in the baggies and adjusting to water temp.

for the glue, I used quick fix glue. it says nothing of being, or not being, able to use for aquariums. :/ it just says things like use for everything indoors and out, water and weather proof. so i've emailed the help center.
i can't believe i didn't check that before using it. i pray that it's safe for them cause if not, then i'm going to have to scrape all that dried glue out.. and dad's going to be poed cause he's the one who helped with it.
patchesofheaven74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Okay, sounds like a good method. Basically, you just want to scoop and not net. Keep us posted on how things go.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #17 
patchesofheaven74

Sadly starscreen just died. he seemed like he was perking up a little in the fresher water then he went inside the shark cave and literally fell over dead.

Lea seems a tad shy still but she's otherwise a bit better i got her to eat a pellet

Nothing has seemed to change for Hansolo. he swam for a bit when i did get him in the fresh water, but now he's just floating in one spot once more, inactive, and not eating.

i just remembered a little detail that i'm unsure if it has anythign to do with all this.

just before Skywalker got sick (and mom just bought lea) i wasn't home and she plopped little lea into the tank with him.
she was only in there for about 30 mins before i got home and quickly got her out. She was unharmed and the two were just resting at the bottom of the tnk next to each other. then the next day is when he started his 'depression' and later died.

I opened the lids to both my tanks (hansolo's and lea's) but had to leave a minuet or two to get the food. he ended up jumping into her tank (it was a pretty big leap ) and i think he was courting her?..cause he did the 'hugging' and 'butting' stuff but i put him back into his tank. that was two days before he got sick. i doubt it has aything to do with all this since star screen was never near any of the others and he'd just died.

would it help if i posted before and after he got sick picks of Hansolo? he used to be such a vibrant blue.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #18 
Myates

That glue will harm/kill your fish =( Needs to be the aquarium sealant to be safe.
Would recommend using the liquid form of water treatment such as Prime or any of the tetra brands. Can't get the proper amount of medication from the tablets, especially since most medication base off of gallons+.
Sorry for all your troubles, I know you are trying. Just let your mom know of what is needed, recommend this site to her so she can see and learn with you. And hopefully that will be incentive enough for her to realize they aren't something to just pick up and not be prepared for and will buy you better tanks ;)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #19 
patchesofheaven74

Above is the tank set up i made. (minus water and decor of course!) to the right at the back is a black blob (the filter) and laying on the floor t the left is the heater i'll be using.

this was Hansolo before he got sick, and about a week after being in my care. (after i took this i removed the fake plant and put in a different one that wouldn't shred his fins as you see above)

and below is hansolo today :( (taken with the same exact lighting as before so you can see how dule his colors have grown)
Below is Lea before and after (though she hasn't changed much look wise and seems much more hardy than the boys.)
she's always been a tad see through with you have back lighting and she has a lovely strip down her side that isn't easy to see in these..

please ignore the floating food debree she spat it out before posing for this then ate it after i took the pic

Last edited by patchesofheaven74; 09-04-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #20 
Myates

I believe it's the ammonia that is getting them. .5 gal please do 100% every other day at the least. The 10 gal will be less often. But! I still worry since you used a human super glue which most likely will harm/kill your fish =( Otherwise it's a good set up!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deing fish, inactive fish, male depressed, new betta owner