Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #21 
patchesofheaven74

Ok i'll be sure to do 100% every day fpr the .5 tanks.
as for the glue i'm waitng on an email from the help center. i'm going to go crazy if i end up having to scrape all that out. or do you think i could just spend more $ and get aquarium sealant and place it over all the glue?

man i can't get anything right. of all the 'fragile' fish breeds i've owned they all lived long and happy lives but this more 'hardy' breed seems a million times more fragile. it's rather frustrating and once again i thank every one of you for takign the time to help me become a better betta owner.

Last edited by patchesofheaven74; 09-04-2011 at 10:27 AM.
patchesofheaven74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #22 
Myates

It can be frustrating, but you are learning and willing to try whatever it takes which is great. In no time you'll know all that needs to be known and you'll have healthy, happy bettas =)

I would scrape as much of the glue off as you can, unsure how it would be to cover the old with the new glue that you weren't able to get off..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #23 
patchesofheaven74

i have the large tank set up now and just waiting for the water to heat up, bla bla bla. parents wouldn't allow me to scrape out the glue and get the aquarium specialized stuff.
and dad told me i had to use that tank today and set it up cause he helped put it together and wants me to use it instead of scrape all the stuff out and start over.

'if they're dieing anyways then putting them in shouldnt hurt.' was my mom's reply. dont get me wrong they are animal lovers but they're sick of me stressen over these fishies.

Mom went out and bought my baby bro a new red betta so he never found out star screen 1 died. -_-' he seems super healthy so i hope i don't screw him up too.

i felt the glue aftrer it'd been in the water a while and it doesn't seem to be any softer (i know that doesn't mean squat really) the water in my little tanks is freezing cold for some reason though, and i think maybe part of their inactiveness is the temp..

Hansolo (the worst off) hasn't had any more tips of his tail come off and he swims a little, but he won't eat still.

Lea swims a bit and rests a bit. her water seems colder than the other two.

Star Screen 2 is healthy and all.. no signs of anything bad happening to him in the pet shop or in shiping. not a scratch on that fish.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #24 
Kaoru

Okay, so if it sounds like I'm mad and ranting. I am sorry because I dont mean to come off that way. I'm just trying to help without beating around the bush and being as direct as possible so that the problem can be fixed. So here goes.

"'if they're dieing anyways then putting them in shouldnt hurt.' was my mom's reply. dont get me wrong they are animal lovers but they're sick of me stressen over these fishies."

Thats like saying, "Oh that dog is sick anyways, putting him in the pound wont change anything, he may even get adopted!" I really think you should spend the money to have things right, than have to see them worsen in condition and replacing them like your mom has been doing. Honestly, money will be spent either way, you decide where you want it to go. I also think that you should get a different water conditioner than those tablets. Something like Aquasafe(doesn't need to be the kind specifically for bettas) would probably be better because I dont trust things that are simply labeled to "correct water", but thats just my opinion. As for Hansolo, I may be wrong, but I dont know any type of sickness that can't be healed with some heat, salt, and clean water; dont over do it though with the salt/heat. Feeding good quality pellets will also be good and encourages health/recovery. I use New Life Spectrum and it seems even my pickiest of bettas will eat it so try that before buying all sorts of food only to have them reject it. Doing things right the first time will save you money, time, and grief. Also, one last thing, what is the actual temperature of the water you are keeping them in(telling me somewhat cold wont help)? If you dont know, get one of those glass thermometers and place them in each of their current homes to see the temperature.
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #25 
patchesofheaven74

i've done all i can. if they live, great. if they don't then it sucks that i spent all the money i have to try and fix them up.

it had been down to either leving them in the .5 gal with cold water or puting the two sick ones into the 5 gal with the heater, filter, and some epsom salt.

my mom is kinda right. they are already down hill putting them in the larger tank with the set up is the best thing i can do for them and if the glue ends up killing them, they won't be suffering any more. i don't want them to die but i doubt the glue will be a problem.

no glass thermos but the heat says it keeps things at 78-80f
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #26 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I dont know any type of sickness that can't be healed with some heat, salt, and clean water;
Fin rot but I don't really consider that a disease...

Quote:
they are already down hill putting them in the larger tank with the set up is the best thing i can do for them and if the glue ends up killing them, they won't be suffering any more. i don't want them to die but i doubt the glue will be a problem.
I don't agree with your statement but if you are still a minor, which I am guessing that you are??, there is only so much you can do.

If you can get the glue out, you can make removable dividers that don't need to be glued in place using stuff you can easily find a walmart.
If you have enough gravel, that will hold he divider in place.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #27 
Kaoru

@Tikibirds, Finrot is kind of a disease but its bacterial and if it happens, something is definitely wrong with the water quality and most of the time, its too late to fix if the fins are shredded by the feeding bacteria :(

@patches, 78-80 is a good temperature to be at. How have Hansolo, Lea, and Starscreen 2 been? Any updates on their health? Has the water changes helped them? :)
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Fin rot is often misdiagnosed. Just losing tips and bits of fins isn't fin rot. True fin rot is accompanied by blackened edges and the fin will fall/melt off in big chunks. You will often see bits of fin the tank. As the bacterial infection progresses, the fin may get septicemia and you will see reddened streaks going up the fins. Fortunately, it is a slow moving disease and thus easy to treat.

patches, probably the best thing you CAN do is tell your mom not to get any more bettas if you feel you can't properly take care of them. If you are feeling overwhelmed, don't be afraid to tell them. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it would be better for everyone, human and fish. Also, your parents need to understand that fish require the same level of care that any pet requires. Just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they are disposable. You are a good person to be stressing over their well-being the way you are so don't let them get you down. They should be proud of you for caring so much, not annoyed.

Hang in there, patches.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #29 
patchesofheaven74

starscreen 2 is perfectly fine , just not used to me feeding him yet..hell freak for a bit then eat when i leave.

the other two wont eat, but they swim some. been doing the epsom salt thing and i got so paranoid with the glue warnings i put them back in the .5 gal tanks at 4 am XD
what also worries me is becauseof lack of food intake, theyt aren't pooping.
i seriously think they will die soon.

as for getting star 2, if my bro found out the 1st died, he'd cry his heart out for the next week, that's the only reason we got a 2nd one to try. plus the 1st ws never healthy, having fin rot when we got him and a little 'tumor' like thing on his side..i got th erot to go away but the lump never did he seemed healthy other than that till he died
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #30 
patchesofheaven74

Lea died which shocks the heck outta me. and i cried. she was my 2nd fave only to Luke, i 1st betta that died of constipation. I wish i had known of the epsom salt treatment. the only thing i could find to fix it was the halved pea, but he would never eat it and so he died.
Lea became very active late yesterday and this morning. she seemed to be getting strong but still wouldn't eat. I came home from band to find her dead.

I got Hansolo (the one fist i though would have died 1st is turning out to be the 'last fish standing' out of the three that were sick..) to nibble a blood worm and i think he eat half of it after i left. he swims a tiny bit but mostly lays on the bottom or floats at the top. his colors seem to be a tad bit bluer (like his original coloring) but it might just be me. still no poopy.

Tags
deing fish, inactive fish, male depressed, new betta owner