Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Someone thinks we breed "mutts" for money?

"I'm so confused as to why so many people want to breed betta. There are literally half a dozen betta breeding questions on here an hour. Betta aren't even worth breeding unless they're true to colour, meaning one solid colour that doesn't change in the light or a specific colour design and if they're anything but veiltails. There are so many people on here that say they went to a pet store and got their betta, betta from petstores are through and through mutts. Plus, the fry are really hard to feed.

Unless you've gotten betta from a breeder that sold you a mating pair. It's just not worth it. A mating pair will be easy to breed cos they already know each other. Plus, you'll get $2 a pop for your pretty males when you can be making $50+ for every single fry that came from a mating pair. Some can even be worth $300-$5000."

was someone's reply to a person asking about betta breeding. Why do people think breeding bettas are for money? Personally, I just wanted to see if I could... so far... I can. Even if I couldn't at first, I would try until I could. I have people lined up for my batch, because they can see how I care for them, know they are cared for, and know what general cross their bettas are (halfmoon and crowntail)... just because my fish are mutts, doesn't make them worthless :(

Who on here, breeds bettas for "300-5000" dollars? and who on here, breeds because: they can, they wanted to, learning experience, advancing in breeding ability...?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #2 
Amphibianite

I am breeding because I love my fish, I love their looks and I want more of them. Yes I will be selling the fry, but that is because I want them to go to homes not rot in a pet store cup. I will sell to my LFS because they do daily water changes and care for their bettas.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Amph I love your answer :) Yeah that person burned me right up... My fish, are not mutts. They are fish. Just because my DOG happens to be a beagle basset (heh heh baggle...) doesn't make her a mutt, makes her...unique. I wouldn't want some designer teacup dog that'll die on me any year :( so why would I buy a fish for 100$ or more, to maybe have her killed by a male? or vice versa? :o lol
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 
Amphibianite

Thanks Sena. Exactly, in my opinion "mutts" are always better. You get more personality and love from those who you love. Oh look my 1000 dollar betta is swimming, how pretty....wait he may strain a fin I can't let him do that.
Oh look my beautiful 2 dollar boy is swimming great, maybe I should feed him and take pictures. He loves to dance for me XD

Anyway, yeah as I said I breed because I love my boys. Yes I will make a couple bucks off of it so what it helps support the addiction and helps to buy more mistreated bettas to give them a loving home.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 
sjbettas

nah not all bettas from pet stores are mutts
if u know what u want to get at the end i say go for it
Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

bahahaha at the comparison.... XDDDDD yes, mustn't let that expensive fish strain his poor fin. Must medicate the heck out of him so he stays in the utmost perfect condition...

My Spartan survived a mystery poisoning leaking from a tank's walls. Guess what... bet you a "breeder's perfect betta" would have died in seconds. He survived, with only the edges of his gills blackened but NO side effects, plus he chose Madame as his spawn buddy... What special fish does that? surely the more-expensive-than-you-can-afford fish are chosen for... I let mine choose for themselves :)

and "mutt" is such a stupid word lol. Everything nowadays is a mutt... people, dogs, cats, fish... doesn't matter anymore to anyone who uses that word lol
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

haha sjbettas... I stood there for half an hour, looking at the pet store bettas, because I wanted them to choose me :p then I got Dusk Falls and Crayola Colors lol. However the only betta I did not have choose me was Admiral, but he needed me so I felt bad and got him.

I bred my bettas to show that the "1 month conditioning" did not matter... I used complete natural stuff for them. right down to letting nature do it's things :p And Spartan is a dad!!! lol. I have people lined up for my bettas, because they know me :p and know about how my fish are lol.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #8 
sjbettas

now its easy to find a ok quality betta in petstores. for me might as well breed the fish with a plan.... like an artist. u can mix colors and make the fins look pretty. b a artist my friends
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

sjbettas, you got a point :) Yeah, my betta pair chose each other... it was cute ^^ my female is a ebony black crowntail cross with mettalic blue specks on her back and fins, the male is a halfmoon cross with: orange, peach, pink, light purple, black, dark navy blue... lol. Whatever fry comes out of THAT pair is definitely the Spartan Generation :p
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #10 
Amphibianite

Here I am going to pic spam you all for a minute to show you what I have found in petstores, these guys are beyond decent IMO got him at my LFS
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78773

These next two are of my DTHM boy Thoth he was a Petsmart boy and will be the first one I am breeding (while I hunt for the perfect girl for Poppycock)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78315
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....217#post806217

The next is of a walmart boy I have to get. He had bad curlfin but just called out to me
Meet Curly Joe
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78759
Now look at him he has become stunning
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....2545&page=1333

last is my little girl I got just the other day from my LFS she is going to be bred to Thoth
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....oth#post811652

They adore each other he shows off for her and she just stares and wiggles.

Now you can not tell me that these boys are not stunning and almost surprisingly petstore boys. So I challange anyone who says petstore bettas are not as gorgeous as those expensive breeder buys
Closed Thread