Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #91 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

So if your looking for a well bred puppy and you see that they're going for $1800 don't be surprised... thats what it's worth to get a WELL bred dog. (That example was a highly recommended GSD breeder's price for a puppy).
thank you very much 1f2f for sharing your insight and advice with me .. there's a lot of mis-information out there on the web .. and i'm really grateful for you guys for taking the time out to give me advice (on a fish forum hehe who knew that would happen) =D .. i know these are long reads .. and i really do appreciate all the advice .. warnings .. and the info <3

and i'm glad to have found you guys to help me shuffle through all the confusions and questions .. and mistakes that i've probably made already along the way @_@!!

the reason i had mentioned about getting a mixed dog would be cheeper then a pure bread is because .. out here where i live (near los angeles).. pure bread dogs have a 3500-7000 price tag on them ..

*side story*(one lady breeder even told me that she has "designer yorkies" .. i was so curious about what that meant .. so i made an appointment and ended up going to her house to see them .. and i couldn't believe that she told me the puppie i had picked up was 8000 normally but she could go as low as 6500 .. then she told me it's ok if you don't buy her cus she has someone else lined up ready to go right after me .. i was so appalled that i just said thanks but no thanks and bye .. D= ..)

.. and mix dogs have a 700-1200

*side story* (this morkie i had seen was priced at 700 but only had 1st shots .. and then the store owner said he will recommend a vet that has a puppy package and i can pay him 200 to get the rest of the puppie shots and vet certification in a package deal .. it was then i was like in my head omg red flags went up and i didn't get the puppie)

.. there is a huge difference when i look at other states that do have pure breads being sold for 700-1000 .. which is why i ended up being really confused about the whole thing .. i mean it can't just be where i live that commands such a price .. maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places .. and shelters around me seem to only have bigger dogs (which won't be suitable for our small place) or only some really tiny chi's (that wouldn't fit into our lifestyle)

the most frustrating thing right now for me is probably because i don't know what to look for when i come across a breeder's website (i feel like i'm being tricked or .. being "sold" .. something and i don't think buying a puppie should feel that way) .. or newspaper ad .. and i don't know what the right questions are to ask (i mean what i do ask .. if they have a health guarantee .. if they have their shots .. if they have a family tree .. but i don't even know if those are the right questions to be asking to get the right responses that i'm suppose to be getting) .. and i also don't know what kind of answers they could give me that is the correct answer .. @_@ and i want to do as much research and get as much info and advice as i can .. before i get a new puppie .. since this is the first time i'll be buying a puppie .. my puppy now was a stray that we took in ..

if there were a pure bread breeder near me that had a puppie that would fit my family and lifestyle for 1800 .. i'd defiantly be interested .. since compared to the prices i've seen and have been quoted .. 1800 would be reasonable

sorrie for the long read .. and sorrie for the thread steal .. and sorrie for all the noob questions .. i know this thread is suppose to be for dog pictures .. but i've been looking for a puppie for almost 9 months now .. and i've got more questions now and am more confused now .. then when i first started ..

and i'm sure there isn't a site that's like aquabid that's for puppies .. cus then that would make life too easy

oh and PS about the dogs eating hairballs thing
.. i don't know if it's real hairballs they eat .. if i take my eyes off of my dog she will hide in a corner and lick everything off the floor .. and i don't let her get away with it .. especially in the kitchen where the floor is tile and she's trying to lick up things from the floor .. which will include dust or hairs .. and i don't know how to get her to stop this habit .. i mean when i see her doing it .. i tell her no .. and then pick her up .. and take her out of the kitchen .. but she keeps doing it anyway x_x and sometimes she'll eat her own hair and lick her paws and hair on her legs .. and then start coughing .. then drink water .. and do it again .. i also can't break this habit and i don't know why she keeps doing it when it makes her cough ..

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-11-2011 at 04:25 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #92 
Laki

Telling your dog "no" then picking her up is teaching her nothing though. Sweep all that stuff up and either ignore the behaviour or correct it. Do this be distracting her with a toy (before the licking happens). By "licking her paws" do you mean, like in an obsessed way? She might be suffering from boredom or anxiety. Try to find out when she is licking. After someone yells? When she's alone? When there are visitors? etc. . . Try to evaluate the cause. She might also be allergic to her food. Hard to tell though,.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #93 
Tikibirds

I sometimes wonder about mr bubble's breeders. They seemed like a nice old couple but has got to be the most neurotic ball of need I have ever met! he has like a mix of doggie ADD and autism...

Quote:
if i take my eyes off of my dog she will hide in a corner and lick everything off the floor
bubbles will do it too, lick the floor but also the door, the tv, ect...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-11-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #94 
1fish2fish

There is a dog forum I'm on that you should really join Mistress, they'll give you all the information you need and help you figure out a good breeder from a bad breeder... I can't link it here but if you google Dog Forums you should find it. Just don't get overwhemled because they can be a little straight forward at times, not lovey dovey.

Here's a couple breeder red flags-
-listing in a newspaper... breeders will have homes lined up before the breeding even takes place
-selling out of a box in a parking lot- breeders don't just give their dogs to anyone
-putting signs out like "AKC Reg Boxer Puppies for sale"- again breeders don't go looking for homes, homes come looking for them

I know your not interested in this breed but here is the website of a pretty reputable breeder I know... you can get a feel for what the site looks like for somone who is a RESPONSIBLE breeder.

www.redyre.com
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #95 
CrowntailTwitchy57

here is a better shot of Neige!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #96 
caitic10

Too cute!

My back gate was left open this afternoon and guess who went on an adventure! Wylie wandered out of the backyard, down the road (no sidewalk!!) and somehow ended up at the park.

We found him. :) I was so scared though......I was crying..:(
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #97 
CrowntailTwitchy57

my dog does that too... o.O WHY do they always end up at the park!?!?
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #98 
caitic10

Lol, Wylie was playing with a man and his dog when I saw him. :)
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #99 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Telling your dog "no" then picking her up is teaching her nothing though. Sweep all that stuff up and either ignore the behaviour or correct it. Do this be distracting her with a toy (before the licking happens). By "licking her paws" do you mean, like in an obsessed way? She might be suffering from boredom or anxiety. Try to find out when she is licking. After someone yells? When she's alone? When there are visitors? etc. . . Try to evaluate the cause. She might also be allergic to her food. Hard to tell though,.
well .. after i tell her "no" and then i have to pick her up to put her in time out (which is her kennel carrier thing) .. she looks sad after i tell her "no" so that's why i assume she understands ..

the thing is that the floor is clean and swept .. she goes to lick the floor where there's no visible hairs and then i'll find her in the corner licking something then she'll cough .. so i assume it's a missed dust bunnie or a hair ball

sorrie about my explanation .. i don't think i explained the paw licking thing correctly .. i mean like when she's cuddling with us on the couch watching tv .. she'll lick the bottom part of her paw .. like the part that makes the paw prints on the floor .. and then i'll look to see if there's something there .. but there's nothing .. and she'll lick it for like 10-15 minutes at a time .. watch tv .. and start licking again .. she also does it before she sleeps too

@1f2f
a lot of the breeder sites i go to look well very done like that too .. but usually it shows all these pictures of past sales .. an that kind of turns me off ..
but not that site you linked.. i love it .. especially the pet training article on there =D .. that looks like a lot of fun to do and i'm gonna try it ^_^

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-13-2011 at 02:46 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #100 
1fish2fish

Don't put your dog in "time out" they don't have the ability to understand that concept. When she does something bad either 1 ignore the behavior if its something to get your attention (ie jumping up, barking etc) or 2 say NO or "ah ah" in a loud voice then redirect the behavior.

For instance yesterday I was doing dishes and since my sink won't stop up for some reason I have to soak my dishes in my trash can. Well I had a partial bag of trash sitting on the floor and Bella started to try to mess with it. I said Ah Ah! Then told her to sit and gave her praise, then I went and got a toy for her and moved the trash to a less tempting spot. That way she learned trash = BAD sit= TOY.

Always try to use positive reinforcement and not negative adversives.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote