Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #111 
LittleBettas

^
Sure, but I will never buy unless I can put my hands on a dog and evaluate it myself, otherwise I could just get a shelter dog, thats the only benefit to going to a breeder, in my personal opinion, would be to meeting the parents, I dot believe into going to mass breeders, like with my moms breeder, sh ehas 5 females and 3 males that she owns
(and the male is an offspring to one of her prior litters)'
Champion dog SHOULD have great temperments, but not always, as a rule, I just say people should try to meet the sire and dam, they should be able to view the facility, the breeder should be able to answer any and all questions, and still provide additional information, and the breeder should do vet checks and genetic esting
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #112 
HatsuneMiku

@littlebettas
that's sooo coool =D he has so many dogs that were eyeing the food while he was putting it down it was sooo cute

my girl gets fed twice a day .. once in the morning my dad feeds her .. and at night i feed her .. what is free feeding? .. sometimes she won't eat right away .. like i have to tell her to eat her mum mums and then she won't eat while we're watching her is that bad? .. she's acts like she's embarrassed when we catch her noming and she'll stop and look around and pretend she's not eating .. then when we stop looking at her she'll start noming again

the only time she doesn't know how to wait is when she want's to follow us around .. like i can tell her sit .. wait .. and walk 3-4 steps and she will wait still .. but as soon as i get too far she will come running to me ..

also, she stops eating when one of us is not here for more then a day .. for example when i'm away for the weekend .. she'll stay up waiting for me at the door .. eventhough my parents are home .. and when my parent's go out and i'm home .. she waits for them at the garage door .. waiting for them .. and she won't eat till they come home .. is this bad?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #113 
LittleBettas

Free feeding is when people leave a food bowl on the ground an keep it full 24-7

Sounds like a bit of seperation anxiety, my dads doberman, a rescue, does this, he is in the army so when we first got her we had to hospitialize her a couple times because she stopped eating.
If I go on a vacation or a work thing, I leave my pomeranian with my parents, she wll lay on the stairs in front of the stairs the whole time I am gone and refuse to eat

I know my BFs parents dog wont eat wen people are watching... do you have a husky?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #114 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't say 5 females and 3 males is mass breeding unless she's doing over 2-3 litters a year. The breeder I linked had 5 dogs at one point, one non-bred pet(spayed), one retired breeder female(spayed), one male from a litter, a female from a later litter, and a female from the last litter. I believe she recently sold one of her females and now only has 4 of them. She studs the on-site male but does not/has not bred him to any of her females because they're too closely related (Half-siblings).

It's more than just the number of dogs that determines a BYB/mill from a good breeder. For example there are some dog sled compounds with over 100 dogs in the north that also breed but the owner can tell you each and every dog's name, personality, health, etc. Then again Alaskan Huskies an the dog sled community are a far cry from pure bred dogs and the show world.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #115 
HatsuneMiku

no i don't have a husky .. she was a stray .. that would visit my dad at his work .. for the longest time i thought she was a terrier chihuahua mix .. but with the help of laughing (forum member) he showed me that she could be a deer chihuahua .. and the more research and pictures i look up .. she seems to fit into that very well
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #116 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I wouldn't say 5 females and 3 males is mass breeding unless she's doing over 2-3 litters a year. The breeder I linked had 5 dogs at one point, one non-bred pet(spayed), one retired breeder female(spayed), one male from a litter, a female from a later litter, and a female from the last litter. I believe she recently sold one of her females and now only has 4 of them. She studs the on-site male but does not/has not bred him to any of her females because they're too closely related (Half-siblings).

It's more than just the number of dogs that determines a BYB/mill from a good breeder. For example there are some dog sled compounds with over 100 dogs in the north that also breed but the owner can tell you each and every dog's name, personality, health, etc. Then again Alaskan Huskies an the dog sled community are a far cry from pure bred dogs and the show world.
+1
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #117 
ManInBlack2010

wow i need to come to this thread more often, you guys are having an indepth discussion on training and genetics and i'm missing out, lol! I'm an apprentice master dog trainer and have been training/showing my dogs for the past 10 years, since i was 9.

Just out of curiosity, what methods of training do you use, aka: inducements only, modular training or compulsion only
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #118 
1fish2fish

LOL.. I'm a far cry from and experienced trainer.. I actually have no clue what your talking about :)

I use positive reinforcement and use food rewards. Try to do a training session everyday, end on a good note, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #119 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

She only breeds on litter a year per dog, and only breeds two dogs a year, she does disc dogs and agility (and herding) with the rest of her dogs
The breeder my mom uses also has two fixed "pet dogs" one of which is a resced BC, she just rehomed a 6 month old puppy, she has homes lined up, but his owner fell through last secnd and she took her time finding him an appropriate home.
None of her females are related, and the males she ha on site are not either, so when she "borrowed" a dog from a past litter to stud, she bred him to a different female.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #120 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
wow i need to come to this thread more often, you guys are having an indepth discussion on training and genetics and i'm missing out, lol! I'm an apprentice master dog trainer and have been training/showing my dogs for the past 10 years, since i was 9.

Just out of curiosity, what methods of training do you use, aka: inducements only, modular training or compulsion only
Positive reinforcement only :) Im not a professonal, but working at shelters and fostering plus my own dogs, I have an insane amount of practise. So far, pitbulls are by far my favoite dog to train, the are easy, smart, and are motivated just by praise.

One of my favorite dog trainers out there is Kikopup...
you can find her on youtube, great videos to get ideas from, her dog sare in in a lot of comercials

http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup