Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #131 
HatsuneMiku

oooo !! ok .. thank you very much for the advice .. i'm going to have to teach her how to do down first =D ..

when will i know when she knows it well enough to start teaching her play dead?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #132 
1fish2fish

When she hits the floor as soon as you say down, every single time you say down.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #133 
HatsuneMiku

by then i don't have to reward that with a treat anymore right ? just with petting and praise ?

then reward with treats when she does the play dead?

i've been trying to get her to do down .. but she's too excited that we're playing a new game that she sticks her butt up in the air as i'm putting the treat on the floor .. hehe it's kinda cute .. but how do i get her to stay down all the way?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #134 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
by then i don't have to reward that with a treat anymore right ? just with petting and praise ?

then reward with treats when she does the play dead?

i've been trying to get her to do down .. but she's too excited that we're playing a new game that she sticks her butt up in the air as i'm putting the treat on the floor .. hehe it's kinda cute .. but how do i get her to stay down all the way?
guide her down with your right hand and have the left hand ready to lightly touch her but down :) i have dogs do that to me all the time, if you're really good you can squeeze the shoulders and use your elbow to bump the butt down
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #135 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Penny View Post
ManInBlack2010, I'm just curious where in Indiana you live/where do you train? I'm in Indy and I just have two shelter mutts so I've never done conformation shows but recently got into AKC Rally (Penny has two legs towards the Novice title, hoping to get that RN at a show in Lebanon this weekend!) and just started an agility class. I haven't done much with my other dog since he's a bit harder for me to work with. I hope to do Rally with him too at some point, but I doubt he'll ever have the confidence for Agility other than just for fun. Anyways, I'm rambling now haha but I'm always curious about training and pretty much anything related to dogs especially from people nearby who might have suggestions! :)
Good luck at your show this weekend! i was considering going to that one but i have a horrible time taking off work so i decided it wasn't worth the trouble lol.

i live in NW Indiana, about 4 hrs from Indy, kinda around Crown Point/Valparaiso - the facility i apprentice at is in Dyer (landheim training center) and i also go to mock shows/trials at Paw Power Blues Dog Club in Lowell.

I've recently been getting into agility too :) i've been trying it out with my dobe and the shepherd you see in my avi. they both love it but my dobe is afraid of everything and i doubt i could ever show him, my shep is actually a foster from my boss who breeds shepherds so i'd have to ask his permission before i were to show her but i would definitely love to

and don't worry bout rambling, i can talk bout dogs for hours lol
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #136 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
guide her down with your right hand and have the left hand ready to lightly touch her but down :) i have dogs do that to me all the time, if you're really good you can squeeze the shoulders and use your elbow to bump the butt down
do i repeat saying down when i do this ? .. and i don't give her the treat till she does it fully right ?

oh .. and do i say "noooe" when she doesn't do it ?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #137 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
do i repeat saying down when i do this ? .. and i don't give her the treat till she does it fully right ?

oh .. and do i say "noooe" when she doesn't do it ?
just say down once and guide her down then verbal praise and food reward - avoid saying down multiple times because we want her to respond on one command so if you start from the beginning only saying it once, she'll understand that's what you expect. saying no isn't exactly necessary but you can, if you do - say it more as a soft scolding instead of a rough tone
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #138 
caitic10

I use the word no for when dogs do something bad...like eating out f the garbage. Use another word like Oops or Wrong to correct your dog ten ask again. Never punish during training as it can make your dg scared to continue in fear that she will disapoint you.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #139 
beat2020

Hey all you dog keepers,
Any of you guys own/have owned boxers? I've been doing LOTS of research on the breed but will like to get some stories from people who have owned/own them.

We should be getting a boxer puppy soon; Just looking for good breeders in my area.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #140 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat2020 View Post
Hey all you dog keepers,
Any of you guys own/have owned boxers? I've been doing LOTS of research on the breed but will like to get some stories from people who have owned/own them.

We should be getting a boxer puppy soon; Just looking for good breeders in my area.
I have never personally owned one but i work with a lot of them. they can be very high energy dogs and need some kind of outlet for their energy (via daily strenuous play, runs etc) they can be great family pets but be sure to socialize your puppy with plenty of friendly dogs and people at a young age and through out his life