Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #61 
LittleBettas

A good shelter will not bring a puppy (younger han 6 months) to an adoption event since they have a highrchance of getting sick, most rescues wont even bring puppies since they are trying to get the older babes a higher chance of finding FURever homes

Puppies usually end up in shelters due to unwanted litters, normally from people havingtheir dog tied up outside and the dog getting preg. when they find they cant tak careof the litter or find homes for all the puppiesl, they drop them off at a shelter (as was the case with my pitbull,Chai Latte)

Purebred puppies normally end up in shelters arond the holidays, parents ge a spur of the moment pet fo their kid, only to wake up to an accident, nipping, chewed furniture, rather than training, theyditch the problemall together

Another big way purebred puppies end up in sheltes is if a breeder has a left over puppy, once the puppy out grows the cute stage, they loose their 'price value' andits cheaper to ditch the puppy at shelter, a large number end up after a puppymill is shut down, this is normally when you see the largestnumber of pure bred dogs put down,I know my first time helping with a puppymill shut down, we had 164 purebred, german shepherds, boxers, alkitas, Alaski Eskimo Dogs, yorkies, basset hounds, and jack russels, half hadto be put down because of space, all of the other dog (some purebred) that were at the shelter before the puppy mill incident had to be put down, and then moreof the puppymill dogs had to be put down after a parvo outbreak (and most of the boxeswere put down after it turned out they were SEVERLY inbred and all had demotex and heartworms), the Akitas were putdown immediatl for heatstroke, and the 14 four day old puppies they came in with had to be put down

Most poms should live to at least 20 years, remember, poms are normaly 30 pound dogs, Pandora is 10 pounds, my moms pom is 14 pounds
First time runts (average sized parents) can, andoften do live healthy livs, its when breeders want to have 'teacups' and begin inbreeding runt (teacup) to runt (teacup) that they begin having health isues, also, with small dogs, as they breedthem smaller, the dogs begin to have a higher chance of behavioral issues.... something just ges messed up, our neighbor adopted a 6 pound pom after she ws dropped off on the side of the road, the poor thing walks in circles al day long and if she gets loose she chases cars, then spins in circles
(spinning in circles is a common chracteristc of pomeranians, but is also a neroogical sign, ex-puppymill dogs, even puppie who didnt pend a lot of time in the small pens, will spin in endless circles the size of their ol pens, its as if their brains are stuck on skip and they cant getout o the idea of no room to move....)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #62 
HatsuneMiku

=*( that's so sad ..

that's one of my biggest worries is if i get a puppy mill dog .. D= i don't want to support them .. but how will i know if that's where the puppie came from?

some breeders out here seem like they are nice .. have nice places for their puppies .. and have the parent's at their house .. and have papers .. but people keep telling me that .. even if breeders seem nice .. they could still have a puppie mill .. and it just breaks my heart thinking about all those puppies =(
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #63 
LittleBettas

I actually have nothing agains breeders, I refuse to deal with them because I have seen the outcome of where breeders dogs or their offspring, end up.

A good breeder should have both the mother (dam) and father (sire) on site, they should be willing t let you see both of them, and view the property, they should let you view where the puppies are kept, they should ask you questions and for a vet reference.
You should ask them how often they breed a female a year, if its over one year, do NOT buy from them, females who are bred more than once a year have a higher chance of having health issues, if a breeder breeds more than one breed of dog, I usually say stay away, a breede shold focus on one breed.

Also, make sure they test for genetic defects, my mom uses a breeder (border collie breeder) that I do not approve of, while th breeder is active with the dogs, keeps them in great condition, breeds dams only once a year, she does not do genetic tests, BCs have a high chance for sezures, especially if tey lack pigment around their eye (one of my moms BCs has no pigment) she also breeds double merles...
ANY breeder who breeds merle to merle or a merle to a dog known to carry merle gene (genetic testing) STAY AWAY FROM!
Merle to merle breeding leads to deafness, cancer and blindnessin offspring

If you find a breeder selling pups on the side of the road, scratch them off, a good breeder has homes lined up!
My moms BC breeder has a 2 year waiting list for puppies (she, the breeder, has working class and pet class, working usually are herding and disc dogs)
If your lookin for a yorkie breeder,stay away from anyone selling or breeding toys, thats a red flag for people just looking for a quick buck, with smaller dogs, look for someone who has a female and a male and breeds once a year, you may have to get put on a waiting list, but you have a guarantee at getting a better quality dog
If you find someone with just the female and used a stud (payed someone to breed their male to the female) they can be considered, find out if both dogs are papered, genetically tested (small dogshave heart problems!!!)
Also, try to find breedes listed on the AKC website, this does not neccessarily mean they are good, but helps weed out some of the worst (you will still need to do research!)

stay away from petstore puppies, they come from breeder regardless of what the employees say
Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #64 
bettarainbow

I do have a dog as well. It's a white german shepherd mix with wolf. He is a very friendly dog but strangers and bad guys be aware, he bite
He's now almost 4 years old. To me, he is just a regular size but when i take him out for a walk or do some running around my place, people always get scare. They say he is a big dog but most of them say he is very beautiful dog.
He really like to eat ice cream, specially vanilla cause that is my favorite flavor.
He is very smart, sometimes i will give him another kind of flavor and he won't eat it, he want vanilla only. So, since we both like ice cream, each tuesday, we go to baskin robbn and get the $1 scoop and he is so happy .
Attached Images

bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #65 
HatsuneMiku

@littlebettas

wow!! .. tyvm for your advice !! .. there's so many things i didn't even think about .. puppies from breeders out here are very expensive .. over 1k for pure breeds @_@ .. and it makes me wonder if it's because of where i live that there's more of a demand for small dogs .. since i will find breeders online from ohio with puppies for 300 that say they have papers as well ..

so far i've only found one breeder that didn't send out red flags for me .. that i've been e-mailing back and forth from ohio .. and she breed's morkies .. she doesn't have litter's too often .. and she e-mailed me saying she doesn't plan to have another litter for a while but she'll keep me notified if she does ..

i just don't know about getting a puppie from another state .. is that even safe? she says she can ship to california .. but i hate the thought of a puppie being packed up and shipped .. i mean who knows how the handlers will be during transit .. D= ..

i know when i'm puppie ready i'll defiantly need to PM u for more advice =)

@bettarainbow
he's soo pretty !!! .. i can't believe he eats ice cream hehe i bet that's soo cute !! =D .. do u let him lick it from a cone ? or eat it from a cup ? !! if u can please post pictures of him eating ice cream i would love to see that =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #66 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
@littlebettas

wow!! .. tyvm for your advice !! .. there's so many things i didn't even think about .. puppies from breeders out here are very expensive .. over 1k for pure breeds @_@ .. and it makes me wonder if it's because of where i live that there's more of a demand for small dogs .. since i will find breeders online from ohio with puppies for 300 that say they have papers as well ..

so far i've only found one breeder that didn't send out red flags for me .. that i've been e-mailing back and forth from ohio .. and she breed's morkies .. she doesn't have litter's too often .. and she e-mailed me saying she doesn't plan to have another litter for a while but she'll keep me notified if she does ..

i just don't know about getting a puppie from another state .. is that even safe? she says she can ship to california .. but i hate the thought of a puppie being packed up and shipped .. i mean who knows how the handlers will be during transit .. D= ..

i know when i'm puppie ready i'll defiantly need to PM u for more advice =)
When it comes to mixed breed dogs. mutts, I prefer to stay away and direct people in another direction. if you are looking for a mixed breed dog, shelters are full of them.

As for shipping. I say its a big no-no, a family friend "ordered" a Rotty pup from a breeder from another state.... beautiful puppy, but he had ring worm and was missing a lot of hair, he also had a lot of health issues later on that were hereditary.
however, my moms BC breeder lives in another state, her first BC flew in. her second one the breeder is driving in.

When it comes to getting a puppy from a breeder, try to stay local, this way you can go and meet the sire and dam (aggression IS hereditary, if the parents are aggressive or in poor health, more than likely the puppies will be!)
If you, or anyone else, chooses to go to a breeder for mixed dog, that is your decision. but in truth, these breeders are usually going to make a quick buck, a lab poodle mix is NOT going to be an allerginic, anything mixed with a poodle, maltese, or other ''allergenic'' dog will NOT be allerginic, most people are allergic to the dandruff dogs produce, not the actualy hair, and even the 'allergenic' breeds still cause allergies

Questions are welcome, Im happy to help people in matters related to dogs, Im a big dog lover :) I have a lot of conections with purebred rescues, mainly located in NC, but a few throughout the USA, Im not as well knowledge on list of good breeders, but I know the general guidelines and with a breeders webpage link I can usually spot a red flag a mile away (under cover work for the humane Society )
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #67 
Laki

Quote:
@laki

=( awwie i hope your friend finds her chi ..
Well, she lost her chi to old age.. As in she passed away :( She was like 16 years old I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
My silly little dog Annabelle. She was a Christmas gift two years ago. Here she is harassing my cat Tiko.....
Is Annabelle a puggle?!?!? (pug/beagle) I think their dilute wrinkly faces are to die for! She's cute either way :)

Quote:

that's one of my biggest worries is if i get a puppy mill dog .. D= i don't want to support them .. but how will i know if that's where the puppie came from?
You can be sure to know where the puppy came from by visiting the house of the breeder. As mentioned, they will welcome you into their home (spur of the moment visits are usually welcome too bc it proves they have nothing to hide, as a scheduled appt might) and the mom and dad dogs are there and you get a good feeling about the place. They ask you questions and want vet references and in return they provide the same. They welcome all questions and try to make sure you have the feeling they are not BYB/ mills. The worst thing they can do is give you a reason to feel they are byb.

It's not mill you need to be worried about, bc mostly mills provide pups for pet stores. What you need to be aware of are Backyard Breeders (BYB) these are the sketch bags that breed their bitch or stud for money. They plan on puppies but they don't plan on genetics, diet, temperment, etc. . . They might not have both parent dogs around and they sometimes do not go to vet. Vets=money and they would rather have the money for themselves. Some mean well, ex. Accidental litter, but I would avoid them if you're looking for a healthy dog. My sister's neighbor is a BYB both mutt dogs are seniors and she carries about 2 litters a year. The daddy dog has regular seizures but neither he nor pups have seen a vet prior "adoption". Also, the owner is on Social Services. Another flag.

I have a bias towards mutts and love them dearly but my bf really wants a French Mastiff (and now I do too) so we're looking into good breeders. I know there are rescues and there is a local breeder with European parent dogs. But I made a deal, if we buy a pure breed dog we need to support the rescue with a hefty donation :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #68 
1fish2fish

Bella's new collar arrived today! Its her early birthday present.

I got it from www.collarmania.com and I couldn't be more happy with the quality and how fast she shipped it (I bought it last Sunday). I can't wait to buy more!!

Pics!!

Derp Face #1

Derp Face #2

Pretty Face

And I'm so proud of how much weight she's lost! She's looking great!

Excuse my dead plants. The nuclear sun on my front porch fried them.. despite them being "sun loving" and getting watered daily. And yes, that is a fish tank on my front porch. This is "jaw-ja"... we keep our tanks on our front porches and our pick up trucks on blocks :p
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #69 
Laki

Aw the new collar looks great. Actually, should I say- SHE looks great in her new collar!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #70 
doggyhog

This picture basically sums up my dog...

He is a genius, but has no common sense. He walked into a glass door yesterday. LOL
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote