Old 09-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #81 
Sams Bettas

Poor guy.
Sams Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #82 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
thank you very much littlebettas and laki for sharing your experiences with me ..

the only reason i started looking into mixed dogs vs. pure bread .. is because maybe it's cus where i live .. pure bread dogs here are way overly expensive .. more then i believe a pure bread puppie should cost .. and mixed bread's usually aren't wanted as much and are more reasonably priced ..

but when it comes down to it .. i just want a puppie that's gonna fit into our lifestyle and that i'll be able to take care of .. then going for specific breeds ..

i am looking for a smaller breed though because we're not going to have a backyard or a lot of space for running around when we move ..

also the reason i'd prefer a breed that's considered hypoallergenic is because (from all the breeders that i've visited) they tell me they don't have the undercoat .. and i'm told that because of that they don't shed as much .. and won't end up eating their own hair balls causing digestive problems @_@ .. i duno .. i'm sure i'm fed a lot of mis-information out there .. but it would be nice if there wasn't fluffs of hair that had shed all over the place
Believe it or not, the smaller dogs require more exercise than many large breed dogs. Great Danes, Greyhounds, Mastiffs- they all can live in an apartment fine with a walk a day. The smaller dogs, especially terriers, require a couple hours of physical and mental exercise a day. Yorkies, maltese, toy poodles, and west highland white terriers are all hypoallergenic (to the best of my knowledge) but are terriers and while they can live in apartments, they need to be run in a field and allowed to express themselves.
o.o Eating hairball?? Are you sure these people aren't cat breeders?!? lol I have yet to see a dog eat a hairball! They can eat their own vomit and feces... but...
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #83 
1fish2fish

@Sams Bettas.. That's odd. All the bully people I know love Lisa's collars. Bellas not allowed to pull and I keep a backup chain on her during walks so I'm not too worried.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #84 
Tikibirds

I have yet to have a dog EAT a hairball....

Isn;t it the stuff on their skin that people are allergic too and not their hair??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #85 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
thank you very much littlebettas and laki for sharing your experiences with me ..

the only reason i started looking into mixed dogs vs. pure bread .. is because maybe it's cus where i live .. pure bread dogs here are way overly expensive .. more then i believe a pure bread puppie should cost .. and mixed bread's usually aren't wanted as much and are more reasonably priced ..

but when it comes down to it .. i just want a puppie that's gonna fit into our lifestyle and that i'll be able to take care of .. then going for specific breeds ..

i am looking for a smaller breed though because we're not going to have a backyard or a lot of space for running around when we move ..

also the reason i'd prefer a breed that's considered hypoallergenic is because (from all the breeders that i've visited) they tell me they don't have the undercoat .. and i'm told that because of that they don't shed as much .. and won't end up eating their own hair balls causing digestive problems @_@ .. i duno .. i'm sure i'm fed a lot of mis-information out there .. but it would be nice if there wasn't fluffs of hair that had shed all over the place
Sadly a lot of breeder of "hypo-allerginic" dogs dont realize the TRUE root of allergies, I am allergic to dogs, but all three dogs (now four!) I have are high shedding, I take allergy meds, but I still have to deal with some stuff, including the occasional rash

Poodle and maltese do not have under coats, but what maked them 'allerginic' i the fact the have REAL hair, not fur, their hair continues to grow and must be cut

Ask around at some local shelter, you ma be urprised that one of them has a young small dog, and if not, you can ask them to call you if one ever come in, most shelters (all I have seen) are willing to call people if a breed of their choice comes in (lately there have been a lot of chihuahuas and poms in shelters)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #86 
LittleBettas

Interesting news, lol

So I went up to see my mom lat night (and so I could meet her new puppy who came in)
ended up stayig there till 4am
Well, I got to meet Patriot my moms beautiful Border Collie puppy
and I got to meet hi 6 brothers and sister (and 3 puppies from another litter)

Well, apparently one of Patriot's sister, the runt, was/is deformed, because of this they couldnt find her a home (he tail is slightly deformed) its not a huge noticable thing, but its not show quality and could be considered hazerdious if he does sheep herding, agility or flyball.... possiblity her tail could get caught
and break

Well, the breeder offered for me to have this little girl for free, if not she would go bck to the breeders ranch and stay there till a home was found...
I couldnt do it, I have a soft spot for the deformed (first foster dog hada deformed leg)

This is her, calling her Fae.... sill need a full name (trying to work in spaz)
Breeder pics... Ill have good ones later, she is staying with my mom for now since there is NO way I can socialize her in the dumb itty bitty down I live in

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #87 
HatsuneMiku

awwwwwww she is sooo cute !!! those puppie eyes .. i wouldn't have let her go either hehe =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #88 
Sams Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
@Sams Bettas.. That's odd. All the bully people I know love Lisa's collars. Bellas not allowed to pull and I keep a backup chain on her during walks so I'm not too worried.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't say thats odd per say, more of a personal preference because of past experience. Don't get me wrong, I like her products, but I ran across someone who makes heavy duty durable collars for cheap, that don't fall apart, and that I trust to hold and keep my dogs safe.
Sams Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #89 
1fish2fish

Ok.. I've been on my phone a lot lately so I haven't been able to read all the posts so I'm going to go back and read them but here's what I have so far.

Mixed breed puppies....

Don't pay someone for a mixed breed puppy unless you are adopting it from a rescue. 99.99% of people who breed different breeds of dogs together are doing it for NO REASON but to make money. They don't care about the health or temperament of their dogs and usually don't offer any sort of guarantee. The dogs are usually not even registered through AKC, CKC, or UKC nor have they ever been shown in conformation or been proven to be a valuable working dog (for those breeds that are bred to work). MAKE SURE they speak on the temperaments of their dogs and make sure you are educated enough to see if the dogs exhibit the temperament normal for the breed.

Do NOT support "Back Yard Breeders'. If you are getting a dog from a breeder do your research! Look for health testing through OFA, etc for any genetic issues. KNOW what the genetic issues are for the breed you are looking for. The first step in being a responsible dog owner is knowing about your breed! Look for titled and preferably finished parents and look through the pedigree for tested parents as well. ASK people in dog shows, dog forums, etc about breeders.... they'll give you an honest opinion.

OFA and most other health screens can not be done until 2 years old. Look for a breeder who provides at least a 2 year money back guarantee. An ethical breeder will take a dog he or she breeds back at ANY point in its life for ANY reason. Look for spay and neuter contracts in pet only dogs.

I think I saw a comment about pure bred dogs being more expensive than mixes.....

Look at how much WELL bred fish are... the reason behind this is because of all the work that goes into taking care of and raising a beautiful, healthy fish. The same goes for dogs. Most ETHICAL dog breeders do not make money off their breedings... the profits are used to pay vet bills, health testing, show fees, etc. So if your looking for a well bred puppy and you see that they're going for $1800 don't be surprised... thats what it's worth to get a WELL bred dog. (That example was a highly recommended GSD breeder's price for a puppy).

If your not willing to pay to support ethical hobby breeders than go through a breed rescue or shelter... adopt a dog there. Just don't support the breeders who are the cause of so many dogs being in shelters... because believe me.. the breeders I described in the paragraphs above are NOT the reason dogs are in shelters.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #90 
1fish2fish

Sorry for the double post... re-read everything and wanted to finish responding to everything I wanted to respond to. Plus both of these posts are long so I don't want it to be just one MASSIVE post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post

A good breeder should have both the mother (dam) and father (sire) on site, they should be willing t let you see both of them, and view the property, they should let you view where the puppies are kept, they should ask you questions and for a vet reference.
You should ask them how often they breed a female a year, if its over one year, do NOT buy from them, females who are bred more than once a year have a higher chance of having health issues, if a breeder breeds more than one breed of dog, I usually say stay away, a breede shold focus on one breed.
Not always the case. Many breeders to other sources for the sire... I would actually be more fearful of someone who ONLY breeds the dogs they have on campus and not branching out to other lines. I do agree about the rest, you should be able to see all aspects of where the dogs are kept and raised. And.. some breeders DO focus on more than one breed. I know someone who breeds Weimeraners (sp?) and English Bulldogs and she is DEFINITELY not a mill or a BYB.
Quote:
Also, make sure they test for genetic defects, my mom uses a breeder (border collie breeder) that I do not approve of, while th breeder is active with the dogs, keeps them in great condition, breeds dams only once a year, she does not do genetic tests, BCs have a high chance for sezures, especially if tey lack pigment around their eye (one of my moms BCs has no pigment) she also breeds double merles...
ANY breeder who breeds merle to merle or a merle to a dog known to carry merle gene (genetic testing) STAY AWAY FROM!
Merle to merle breeding leads to deafness, cancer and blindnessin offspring
YES YES YES to this. And to clarify... saying they were checked out by a vet DOES NOT mean they were health tested. Health tests must be done by an accredited OFA, etc vet, cardiologist, etc.
Quote:
If you find a breeder selling pups on the side of the road, scratch them off, a good breeder has homes lined up!
My moms BC breeder has a 2 year waiting list for puppies (she, the breeder, has working class and pet class, working usually are herding and disc dogs)
If your lookin for a yorkie breeder,stay away from anyone selling or breeding toys, thats a red flag for people just looking for a quick buck, with smaller dogs, look for someone who has a female and a male and breeds once a year, you may have to get put on a waiting list, but you have a guarantee at getting a better quality dog
If you find someone with just the female and used a stud (payed someone to breed their male to the female) they can be considered, find out if both dogs are papered, genetically tested (small dogshave heart problems!!!)
Also, try to find breedes listed on the AKC website, this does not neccessarily mean they are good, but helps weed out some of the worst (you will still need to do research!)

stay away from petstore puppies, they come from breeder regardless of what the employees say
I don't know what you mean by some one breeding Toys.. toy breeds? There's tons of AKC recognized toy breeds... finding a good breeder is the same regardless if it's a small dog or a giant dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettarainbow View Post
I do have a dog as well. It's a white german shepherd mix with wolf. .
Sorry but I'm almost positive there is no wolf in your dog. Two of my friends are BIG into Wolfdogs and they post pics all the time on our dog group... If there's any wolf in your dog it's very very very low content. Still a pretty dog. A friend of my family does SAR with White shepherds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
As for shipping. I say its a big no-no, a family friend "ordered" a Rotty pup from a breeder from another state.... beautiful puppy, but he had ring worm and was missing a lot of hair, he also had a lot of health issues later on that were hereditary.
however, my moms BC breeder lives in another state, her first BC flew in. her second one the breeder is driving in.
not necessarily true. If you have a good relationship with the breeder and know that they are a reputable one with good dogs then there is no reason not to have a puppy shipped in. For instance another friend got her GSD puppy shipped from a breeder across the country and she couldn't be happier with her dog or the breeder she chose.

Quote:
When it comes to getting a puppy from a breeder, try to stay local, this way you can go and meet the sire and dam (aggression IS hereditary, if the parents are aggressive or in poor health, more than likely the puppies will be!)
If you, or anyone else, chooses to go to a breeder for mixed dog, that is your decision. but in truth, these breeders are usually going to make a quick buck, a lab poodle mix is NOT going to be an allerginic, anything mixed with a poodle, maltese, or other ''allergenic'' dog will NOT be allerginic, most people are allergic to the dandruff dogs produce, not the actualy hair, and even the 'allergenic' breeds still cause allergies
It is preferable to go locally but it's not likely that an amazing, ethical breeder of the breed you so happen to want is just sitting right around the corner. Dont' be afraid to branch out in your search for the perfect breeder.

And no, "Doodles' are not hypo allergenic. Haired dogs like poodles are but labs are notorious shedders and there's no way to tell which way the dogs coat will go.