Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #11 
Mars788

I used to love watching figure skating. Kristi Yamaguchi was a big part of my childhood.
Now...I may or may not have a bit of a speedskating-related obsession. *cough*
I'll still watch figure skating every once in a while tho!
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #12 
Comet1993

Lol. There's a man at the rink who either does hockey or speed skating. Probably hockey, but he was still going really fast! He almost ran into me, and he was not a small man. o.o He and his little son go there sometimes. :) By the way, I'm an alpha now!!! =]! I have my certificate and patch for it! :D SO happy!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In reviewing this thread, I realize I forgot to answer your question.

The guys have it easier; just use shoe polish. White skates do take a little more. Back then, the gals just used cheap liquid shoe polish with a sponge applicator. But these are better suggestions:

How can I clean my ice boots? +BQ? - Yahoo! Answers

How to Remove Scuff Marks From Figure Skates | eHow.com

I also like Yagudin, especially his head-to-head matchups with Evgeny Pleshenko around the beginning of the century. Pleshenko only got really good after Yagudin retired.

Kulic was the Men's Olympic champ in '96, just before Yagudin. His graceful 'easy' style and versatility is unmatched, imho. Yagudin skates macho, but like a cat in his balance and jumps. Pleshenko is a little too 'rock star' for my taste.

Any of these guys would skate circles around Evan Lysachek except for last year. I also like Johny Weir for his creativity and individuality.

I was so disappointed in Tanith and Ben; they missed their year. But the Canadian kids deserved it.

The Chinese still have a stranglehold on pairs, I guess.

I haven't followed the ladies closely since Sasha went pro (Stars on Ice) and Michelle retired. Really not much there, anymore. Of course the new points/judging system does little to foster creativity or originality in a routine.

Oh, and congratulations on taking your first step.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I watch figure skating once in awhile.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #15 
Comet1993

My next lesson is Thursday, and I'm super-excited to start learning my crossovers! =] I bought some skate guards and soakers. I think the skate guards need to be cut to size, though, so I should probably get that done Thursday, as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #16 
Comet1993

Update! I hurt myself. xD Doing stroking, of all things! I hurt my knees and almost passed out on the ice, which was really embarrassing. I went to the ER, and I'm fine. I even did one crossover. I don't get to do my lessons for another week, because I don't have the money yet; my last check was totally pathetic. I'm starting to think that I hurt my back when I fell, too. It's around my iliac spine; I fell last week. I was thinking about going to see my doctor so I'll know if I've hurt anything. It's most likely a muscle strain or something, but it really hurts! =[ I'm so excited about my class, though. It's time for evaluation now! (Which was actually last week, but I fell and had to sit out for the class.. =[ )
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it's a good idea to get checked by a doctor. If it IS a back injury you don't want to risk doing further damage to it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #18 
Comet1993

My crossovers are making real progress; my instructor says she's very, very impressed. =) Once I nail my crossovers, I can be a beta! Which I find kind of funny.. Betta... Beta.... xD Maybe, I'm just tired.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think it's a good idea to get checked by a doctor. If it IS a back injury you don't want to risk doing further damage to it.
So true. I once damaged my back doing a backbend, then went to dance class the next week. Doing something as innocuous as a stretch, I tore and bulged a lumbar disc. That stopped me from dancing, doing martial arts, walking any great distance or even just sitting down for more than half an hour for 9 months. When in doubt, get ye to a doctor.

I'll stop preaching now. :p I'm just paranoid since then.

I love ice-skating. I think figure-skating is one of the most beautiful things on earth. Like ballet, but even more so. I wanted desperately to skate when I was younger. I did pretty well at staying up and all that and could go quite fast, but sadly I got a blister the size of an Australian $2 coin from some not-so-great skating boots. The resultant scarring has left me with a slight bump that unfortunately causes me a fair amount of pain when I try to skate now. Doesn't stop me when I get the chance, though. :p It's just too fun. I wish I could have proper lessons but there aren't enough days in the week.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #20 
Comet1993

I never saw a doctor, but the pain's been improving some. I know that the man who fitted me with my skates was talking about those blisters. They actually grow into bone. o.o I knew that, but it still sounds creepy. He says they had a skater there who needed a hole cut into her skate because her "bone bump" had gotten so big. >.< I found this amazing tool for tightening laces! =] They don't sell it, though, but they said I could get my own online. It helps a lot. I just have so much trouble getting my skates to fit properly...still! Either they're too tightly laced and hurt..or they're too loose and allow my foot to move around too much while I'm skating. It's super-annoying. -_- But I am really excited about my next few classes. I'm hoping to advance to Beta in the next two weeks. =D