Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
SKA123

Question Betta tank question :/

I'm having a rough time deciding what type of tank to get my betta. I looked at the tetra ones, and they are way too expensive for me as a college student to afford one. here's a tank i'm looking at now, but i dont know if it's good enough...

http://www.petco.com/product/114818/...m%20Kit-114818

if you guys can help me find a 2.5 gallon tank that is good but also in a college student budget range that would be so helpful
SKA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
SKA123

I was also thinking about this tank as well....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #3 
teasell

SKA123, I would say both would work but the 5 gallon Hawleye would be your best choiice as it already has hood and filter and a nice light. Then all'd you need is a thermometer and heater. Then you can decorate it out over time.

I'm even thinking of ordering one as I just purchased a new Betta yesterday.

Also suggest you get some Prime conditioner and good pelleted food.
The other tank would also be okay though a little on the small side......Lynn
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #4 
Bellaluna

I used to have the Aquaeon tank in the 1 gallon model, and after about 3-4 months of use, it sprung a leak. So I replaced it with the Hawkeye, and I really like it so far. My betta loves it, too, he's very active in this tank. I think he loves all the room.
Bellaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

I'd go for the Hawkeye. 5 gallons really isn't that big of a footprint and it will give your fish more room and make maintenance easier on you c:
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #6 
DragonFish

I have a suggestion...
Have you looked into Kritter Keepers? Like from the reptile/rodent section? They're great on a budget, are very light and easy for water changes, come with a top to prevent jumping, and can be safely heated. They may not come with a light, but its easy enough to rig up something with a lamp(provided said lamp doesn't give off heat enough to affect the temp of the water)or other small LED light made for other tanks if you REALLY want a light.

The Medium KKs are about 2.5 gallons I believe....and the Larges are around 5 gallons.

Just something to think about ;) A neat, cheap tank alternative.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #7 
Princess Penny

Here are some cheap critter keepers!

2.5gal for $6
and 4.5gal for $15!

Like Dragon Fish said, you don't REALLY need a hood with a light, as long as it's covered, you can always put it on a desk or night stand near a lamp or something :) This way you'll have plenty of money for a good heater, which is probably the most important equipment you'll need for the tank.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #8 
SKA123

Thank you all for your advice. I went out and bought him a 2.5 gallon tank from hawkeye. it has a hood and everything, but now i need a filter -_- sigh lol. I got water conditioner which de-chlorinates the water and that's from tetra, and i also got him a net so i can scoop him out of the bowl and into the tank. i put about two drops of the stuff into his tank. i'm thinking i'll wait till tomorrow to put him in so the water is room temperature and is okay for him?

What do you guys think?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #9 
SKA123

Also could any of you suggest a mini filter to put in a 2.5 gallon tank?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #10 
audjree

most people don't suggest a filter in tanks that are less than 5 gallons, because i've heard that even with one, you'll still need to make 2 weekly water changes. filters are recommended more for tanks that are 5+ gal and that are usually cycled.

you can get one if you want though, it's your choice. (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote