Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #101 
cajunamy
Banned

I would never breed a betta with an obvious tumor. Any resulting fry will likely develop one at some point, making it unethical to breed him.

Why would you breed a fish with a tumor? It will put more strain on his system, and possibly kill him from the stress of spawning, no matter how gentle he or the female may be. Not to mention that the resulting fish will likely have the gene for that tumor, resulting in sick fish either for you or whoever you give these fish to.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #102 
Ritingyou

Err.. this is going to end up causing a very bad arguement just like that abortion argument that people get into all the time.. how about we stick to everyone sees things in different ways and has their own opinions on situations and end that small discussion? :)

Sorry... just really dont want people fighting.. I see enough of that as it is in my own neighborhood.
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #103 
vaygirl

Take it from someone who had a fish with a similar tumor. It's not an easy thing to go through and I would urge you to not pass it on even if there's a chance it's inherited. My Whiskey lived with it for about 6 months to a year as it went from small bubbles to the size of two peas and then it burst open and I had to euthanize him. He was in a very bad way for the last month as it was. Another member here had a similar experience with her beloved Vulcan. It was heartbreaking to both of us in the end. My Whiskey's tumor was just about where your boy's is. It's something that seems to be showing up as more common. Yours would be maybe the 5th we've seen? I don't know if it's something that's getting into breeding stock from somewhere or not. It doesn't seem to show up until the fish is mature so maybe people don't even know it's being passed on. But it's a terrible thing to go through. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. And I would hope no one would knowingly breed a fish with it as a possible issue, just in case. I truly hope your boy doesn't end up like my boy did.
Posted via Mobile Device
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #104 
1fish2fish

Halfsun is not a real tail type... at least not one recognized by the IBC. Plus a halfsun is not just an HM x CT, to get a NICE looking fish you have to go at least 2 generations at which point is no longer a pure HM/CT cross but crossing fish who have that heritage.

And I agree with both Amy and Vaygirl.... I would NEVER, EVER, EVER breed a fish with an obvious deformity, especially a tumor... I've seen too may fish die long, painful deaths or be euth'd due to complications from a tumor... I would never risk passing that down in generations or risk some poor soul having to deal with loosing a beloved pet due to something I could have prevented.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #105 
Sena Hansler

That's why I have a question of him in the "betta diseases and emergencies". I mean it has only begun to raise somewhat (looking closer at him, as he absolutely loves me and won't shy away from hand, face, camera, etc LOL) where the ridges are apparent. But I will try anyways - and watch for my fry. Which just means I will just have to keep the fry until they are much older, so that I can see if any of them has the "spot". Plus then their colors will be really cool ^^ He was 6 months when I got him (real small lil' man) and he has the speck spot.

edit: ohh okay, about the halfsun. Although I will admit they do look pretty decent :p

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #106 
cajunamy
Banned

I actually love decent looking halfsuns - but the thing is to get nice looking ones, you'd first cross your CT and HM - those fry wouldn't have great finnage. You'd have to then cross the best from the F1 spawn again, and then you might get the nice finnage, and not the 'I just got in a fight' looking ones.

I get being disappointed if you can't breed him anymore - I have 2 females with deformities - one I planned to breed. Now, I have to find another female for the male I had for her so I can breed him :( I don't want to strain her if it's a tumor (may be dragon scaling gone wild, but that wouldn't be something to pass on either) and I don't want resulting babies having the deformity.

For fry already, this will sound harsh, but I would cull them. Or at least cull them to the point of maybe 10ish, so that you can reasonably keep them all, and you aren't giving someone a fish they may possibly breed at some point (even if they say they won't, doesn't mean they won't. They may just say oh I won't breed to you to get the fish) and keep passing on a gene for tumors/cancer, or to cause someone the heartache of having a fish pass horribly from it :(
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #107 
Sena Hansler

I don't have fry. It was his first time, so he didn't exactly look like he knew what the heck to do and it ended up all the eggs "mysteriously disappeared". But now the female, who chose him, not too sure how to get her to take to another male (like Colors)
Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #108 
Luimeril

in all honesty, knowingly breeding a betta with a defect as bad as a tumor, makes you no better than the farms that produce the bettas walmart gets. you should breed to BETTER the next generation, and do everything you can to make them healthy. breeding a male with a tumor, could pass it on, and you won't be able to see if the fry will develop tumors right away. your male's probably about a year or two old, so you won't be able to see if the babies get tumors until they're about a year or two old, and by then they'll all have new homes and their new owners will have to watch as the tumor gets bigger and bigger.

also, as others have said, breeding him with that tumor could KILL your male. it's stressful, and i've seen accounts where perfectly healthy males have died from things like ick and velvet after spawning, because it lowers their immune systems. while he may be doing well now with the tumor, by spawning him OTHER complications could arise and he could go downhill too fast for you to save him.

i understand that you feel like the pair is a match made in heaven, but the HUMANE thing to do, would be to NOT spawn them at all. find another, healthier pair, and leave your male out of it.

just my $0.02 on this.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #109 
Sena Hansler

I DID NOT KNOW HE HAD A TUMOR UNTIL NOW so it's not my fault!

If I had known, and since I did a bit more research on it and it would be in fact genetic I am not breeding them okay?
There
end of story
So stop comparing me to corporations

and who said I felt they were a match made in heaven? She took to him only. I am saying now I cannot breed her (I would really like to because she is a very nice color combinaiton) because I don't know how to get her to actually display the signs she displayed for him.

I'm not breeding him! I said I wish I could, and I would have really liked to but you know what? I'm just comppletely devastated my favorite betta has a tumor, and the fact I'll never get fry from him.

So why don't we shut it, and vere this back onto the PROPER thread it is supposed to be? aka betta genetics not bashing me for "being no better" then people who sell to corporations.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #110 
1fish2fish

Did you actually try to spawn her with another male or just stick her next to another male, not see any breeding stripes and then decided she'll breed with no other male? Like I said in the other thread there is no way to know if a pair will spawn unless they're in a spawning situation and properly conditioned.

I don't let my pairs see each other UNTIL they're introduced into the spawning tank. Any prior interaction has no bearing on whether or not they'll spawn.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote