Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #81 
Sena Hansler

Yeah, I think I was shown that square.. The "xx, xy, yy" kind of thing lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #82 
1fish2fish

A CT is a CT. A fish can't look like a CT but be a VT. The mark of a CT is significant web reduction and VTs typically have no web reduction on the caudal or dorsal fins and very little if any on the anal fin.

If you want a certain look you go with a sib pair. That's the most reliable way to ensure you'll get something close to what you want. For instance I'm getting a blue marble pair of HMPK that are siblings because the fins and the color of the pair are what I want to see in the fry.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #83 
Sena Hansler

Spartan is a HM cross (from what I see). I know he doesn't look like a full HM, but I'll still breed him if I can :p wouldn't mind knowing what Madame is... Or the two youngsters. The lil' ones look the same as her so perhaps from the same parents...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #84 
1fish2fish

What does an HM cross mean? Either he is or he isn't HM. If he doesn't have the full spread and 4 or more ray branches he's not an HM.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #85 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Spartan is a HM cross (from what I see). I know he doesn't look like a full HM, but I'll still breed him if I can :p wouldn't mind knowing what Madame is... Or the two youngsters. The lil' ones look the same as her so perhaps from the same parents...
what's an HM cross?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #86 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd also like to know what a halfmoon cross is. What was the HM parent crossed with?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #87 
Sena Hansler

For Colors, I see he is a Halfmoon, but he has short spikey ends on his fins? Plus his tail is much longer than any other betta I own. Forget what he could be... Spartan I have no idea. All I know is he is not a complete halfmoon, but he looks like one.

remember here we only have a pet store. One store. The bettas are unknown, but visibly most you can tell are Veiltails. Once they had a complete Halfmoon betta, except that they were asking 30 dollars for them each, rather than the 6 dollars for the mix breeds. They didn't sell very well ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What does an HM cross mean? Either he is or he isn't HM. If he doesn't have the full spread and 4 or more ray branches he's not an HM.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well then YOU tell me what he is ... I've got enough pictures in my albums of him He does not look like a veiltail however. Someone I think mentioned he could be "Dalmation" but I have no idea what that means because to me a dalmation = spots ><

Actually, look for a post that's probably labelled "What is Spartan and Colors?" Maybe then more people could answer with what they think... Also, since my ADF mucnhed on Spartan's fins, when they are growing back they are going slightly spiked o.o is that normal?

Last edited by vaygirl; 09-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #88 
Creat

There is no such thing, at least to my knowledge, of a HM cross.. HM are just an explanation of how the 180* spread, thats why 2 delta's can make a HM genetically they have the same symmetrical style and even rays that can lead to a HM with good breeding. VT are different because their rays are uneven and asymmetrical. Your boy is still a VT because of his rays, he might have had some kind of delta in his past because of how wide his tail is but he is still a VT and babies produced would carry no trait of anything delta/HM related unless the female was a proven breeder of HM's and deltas and even then it would take a few generations.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #89 
indjo
TFK Moderator

To my knowledge HM were created from VT - years of breeding hundreds of them - VT with wider caudals....
IME many VT start of looking like oval or even delta with round end - something like your guy - Later when they get older and their fins fully develop. the caudal will bend/curve down wards..... so how old is your guy?

On the other hand, since people are cross breeding excessively, he could be a cross between a HM/delta to a VT. Nevertheless he would still be classified as a VT. .... again age can determine what he is - if he is fully grown, and has such fins - then you can consider him to be a cross breed. Other wise, he is a VT.

Either way, as creat mentioned, you will unlikely produce HM by spawning him to a non HM. Even with a good HM female you will produce deltas. But you can eventually get HM if you selectively breed the offspring - many generations.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #90 
nochoramet

Colors have nothing to do with the tail type, that's a whole new range of genetics. A half moon tail and a veil tail can have the exact same color, but it's still a half moon, and still a veil tail.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote