Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Inflamed Gills

I just brought home a beautiful new crowntail from my LFS. He has been sitting in his little plastic bag from the store for a few hours because I was preparing his tank (I wasn't expecting a new guy, so the tank wasn't set up!). Anyways, he looked very healthy otherwise, but now I notice that he is breathing kinda heavy and it appears that he might have inflamed gills. My other betta just passed away yesterday morning and he had inflamed gills and I really don't want to lose this guy. He is just laying on the bottom breathing heavily. He isn't exploring his new home at all exept for the odd time when he will move a bit. I am really worried. The water temp. is about 80 and I added some stress coat. Should I add salt? Oh he is in a 2 gallon tank right now. It is also the tank that my other guy passed away in, but I made sure to clean it. I also have all new decor so that isnt a problem. Could he be just stressed from moving into this tank? Or is it more serious like ammonia burn from that stupid dirty cup? Thanks for your answers. And sorry for all the emergencies lately!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
BlackberryBetta

Im not sure if you can tell from this pic or not? Thanks for looking, by the way!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Good news. Blaze is starting to swim around and isn't just laying on the bottom. We'll see how long that lasts! Hopefully he was just scared and now is warming up to his new home. Still concerned about the heavy breathing though...

Last edited by BlackberryBetta; 09-04-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

If his gills are inflamed and he isn't moving too much, I'd lower the water level to make getting air easier and clean the water a little more often. 1 tsp/gal of aq salt should help out too, but you'll have to change the water 100% daily for maximum effectiveness.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

Well he looks a lot better today. He isn't breathing as heavily and he is exploring more. I think I will go ahead with the salt treatment though. Just to make sure!