Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 
Jaclyn

Exclamation Walmart Rescues need help!

The first my roommate rescued 2 days ago. He obviously has SBD ans I'm treating with ES.

The Second I rescued tonight. We saw him earlier this week and seriously tonight we had to get him. He has very long CT rays and is a big boy! He's been in the cup for so long though that his rays have bent and grown back on their selves in "V" shapes on some of the rays. He also looks like he has the beginings of fin rot also, but not sure. You couldn't even see him in the cup it was so nasty and I almost got sick from the smell of the water

SO the question is: Can I do anything else for the SBD and is there a way to correct the fin "v's?
Attached Images

Jaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Jaclyn, so great of you to rescue these guys from Wal-Mart. They're lucky fellows and I hope they pull through. Let's see what we can do.

For the SBD fellow: is he showing any signs of bloating? How is his SBD? Does he float on his side at all? What is the dosage of ES? If it's not already at this dosage, I would recommend upping it to 3 tsps per gallon. Have you seen him poop at all and if you have, do the poops look abnormal?

For the little crowntail: So if I'm looking at the pics and reading your description right, the rays of his tail are doubling back so it's almost like they are folded back toward his body? I'm not sure there's anything that can be done specifically for that but I think time will eventually make them unfold. For now, just to make sure he doesn't get a bacterial infection, I'd put him in 1 tsp of AQ salt.

I hope this helps you. Keep us posted and good luck with the little guys.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #3 
Fisherofmen

Thank you for rescuing the betas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fisherofmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #4 
Jaclyn

I hope they make it, I'm going to do everything I can.
The SBD one looks less bloated today and there was a little poop, it was very greenish so it looked abnormal to me. He isn't floating on his side, he stays fins clamped all the time. I will up the ES shortly it's currently at 1 1/2 tsp.

As for the other, it's just like the fins were bent for so long that they connected. Example being a persons elbow staying bent to where the skin on the inside of their arm grew together. it's so sad but he is about 2 1/2 inches. he's a big guy with very long fins. Already treating him with AS.

thank you for your help!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Green? Hmm. Who knows what junk Wal-Mart feeds their bettas. Okay. I was mainly concerned about possible parasites. Sounds like the epsom salt is working so I would hold off on any other treatment unless there's obvious evidence of parasites. I'm so glad he seems less bloated. :)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #6 
Jaclyn

Well...I came in from the Alabama game to find Fireball the SBD guy dead :(
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #7 
Luimeril

i'm sorry about the SBD boy.

as for the crowntail, keep his water extra clean. that, alone, can help if he has any fin rot. as for the V-shaped rays, he could just be holding them close. i don't think they can connect together, but then, my own CT has curly-Q rays. if you can get any, add an Indian Almond Leaf to his tank. the tannins will help relax him(he looks so upset, with those stripes!), and will help any fin issues he may have.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear Fireball didn't make it. You did your best and at least he knew what clean water and love was like before he passed.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #9 
Jaclyn

This is him just now :0 His color is looking nice and he's much more relaxed and eating. Just did a 50% water change. You can really see what I was talking about with the "v"ing in this picture. It's only some rays.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #10 
Luimeril

oh, that's normal in CTs in bad conditions, or water that's not 'perfect'. my water's too hard, or something, so Zidane's rays curled into what i call "Shirly Temple Curls". they may straighten out with good water, or they may stay kinked. if they stay kinked, it just adds to his lovely charm.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote