Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Unhappy Velvet?

Okay, so I've been having to move my tank back and forth from my shelf to the window so my marimo can get good lighting (it's not direct). I never noticed at first, but when I was admiring my fish from above, I noticed his dorsal fin at the base seemed glittery, a golden color, but only in certain lighting. I skimmed the emergency stickies a while ago, and seeing this on my fish triggered back to what I had read..
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to identifying certain things like diseases, so I was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is velvet or not. Right now I am treating my betta with aqua salt (1 tsp every 12 hours 3 times and then a 100% change of water. My tank is a 1.5g) and I'm going to treat it no longer than 14 days like it said... One of the reasons why I'm treating it now, even though it might not be velvet, is because the end of his fins were shredded, and I figured even if it wasn't a disease, it'd still be a good opportunity to use something to help my fishes fins heal... I also took the marimo ball out for now and put it in its own cup so the salt water wouldn't effect it..
So yeah, please let me know if this is indeed velvet.. I'm worried about my fish, and I don't want to possibly kill him on the off-chance that I'm wrong or end up building up an immunity for aqua salt for later treatments... I'll try to get pictures of it, but there aren't any real guarantees at the moment...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Can you get a picture of him?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

My sister just brought her camera in, so I should be able to use it. Although I'm not sure if it'll show up too well, but I'll try it real quick.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a4...e/PICT1158.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a4...e/PICT1150.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a4...PICT1148-1.jpg

These are the only decent ones I could take.. I promise you the water isn't dirty, I just did a 100% change a couple of days ago that was room temperature and dechlorinated before added to the tank..
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Hmm.. the photos are a little blurry so it's hard to tell. If you think he has velvet it's easy enough to treat and they usually do really well with the treatment.

Darken the tank (no light or as little light as possible)
Slowly raise the temp to about 84*F

You can use aquarium salt but I prefer to use QuICK cure. You can get it at Walmart and other fish stores. Just follow the directions on the bottle and treat for 14 days. Do the water changes as recommended, which I think is every 3 days.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, I figured... It was near impossible focusing the camera to where it would take a picture of him, and even so, I couldn't really get close enough to where it was able to show off the golden parts... -.- Is velvet supposed to be seen by the naked eye no matter the lighting, or is it one of those things where you can take a light and shine it on your fish and see it? 'Cause the only time I can really see it is when I shine a light on him..
I thought about getting something else, but I wasn't sure what to get except for aqua salt. I'm kinda low on budget, so I can't really get anything else at the moment.. so long as it works, and he does well with treatments, then I don't think I'll have anything to worry about. Thanks for the advice ^.^
If anything, his tail needed a boost of growth anyway, since it was a little shredded..
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Aquarium salt doesn't really boost growth. It just inhibits bacterial fin rot from taking over, which allows new growth.

Quick cure is very cheap.. maybe $2. I always have it on hand because it's very gentle, even fry can use it.

It sounds like velvet. Sometimes you can see it in any light but its very noticeable when you shine a light on it.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #8 
wildflowers

Hi there! I just discovered Velvet on my fishy as well. I have only had her for 2 weeks and never seen the iridescent peachy gold color on her until I put her in a brand new bigger tank! Talk about timing...anyways, let me tell you what I can see on her and compare it to mine.

When I look at her with a flashlight in a darkened room, her gills have a shiny rose gold rust color on them and then by her neck or chin area there is a soft light yellow iridescence. It is nowhere on her fins or back, simply the head.

As you can see in the photo, she is a light pink cambodian betta so it was incredibly hard to see the peach gold shine. Yet, I caught it and now she is in a darkened tank with Betta Revive, which is actually reducing the surface area of the "shimmer" on her neck and gills! Try to get some of this..it is safe and will not harm her (unlike coopersafe) if you are wrong in your diagnoses. It is used for prevention as well.

Let me know, your update and I will too :)
wildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #9 
wildflowers

oh yes, I forgot I also (as suggested above) have:

1. put in a small heater and the temp is a constant 82 degrees for the treatment days

2. put a bit of Aquarium salt to help aid the fight

3. put up dark binders around her tank to shut out the natural light since it is how the protozoan (velvet parasite) grows

4. unplugged the filter and taken out the power filter cartridge because it absorbs the medications and dilutes it.

5. AND got a water sample tested today at Petco and the water levels are perfect conditions..whew!!

I have been a worried Betta mommy checking on her and saying hello to make sure she knows I didn't leave her in a big tank alone. Her activity level is still high, she is:

1.swimming fast and doing tricks, but not scratching against anything any longer

2.eating her one Hikari gold pellet a day while on meds, she is eager for food and has not lost an appetite yet.

3.seems to be responsive to her environment and curious about what goes on around her.

I think I am catching the Velvet early because she has not become "sickly" yet as I heard is what happens towards the advanced stages. It sounds like you are too, if he is not exhibiting any strange behavior and that you only could catch the gold shimmer of the disease.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by wildflowers; 09-05-2011 at 01:35 PM.
wildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

I haven't really been needing a heater up until now, but luckily last month I bought one at a good price with some other stuff over the internet. This'll be a good opportunity to test it >.> (It's a Theo that's adjustable and 25w) I'm in the process of changing the water, so I'll see how it goes before putting him in there. The shelf I have has two night lights rigged into it so I just turned off one for now. By "boost of growth" I was more or less meaning that it'll keep anything from attacking him while it's growing, especially if it is velvet (sorry for being ambiguous ^.^;) The reason why I say I don't have money, I know it's around $2, but I've been spending a crap load of money for college (nor do I have a job, so it's coming out of my dad's pocket), so even the smaller things are alot for me at this point... I figured aquarium salt would be best 'cause the stickies on the emergency/disease thread pretty much said it for all the things listed... I was lucky enough to be able to get the salt, really, and since I was at a lack of what to do save for the salt, I figured I better jump on it as soon as possible rather than wait and give the possible velvet more time to attack my fish... If it doesn't seem to be working, though, I'll push for anything else I might need for him. But yeah, he isn't showing any signs of being sickly, so I just might've gotten lucky and caught it in the early stages. It's mainly around the base of his dorsal fin, but the more I look at it, I see bits of gold on his other fins (like the long bottom one looks just fine on one side, but on the other, I saw gold). It seems like theres a bit of gold on the back part of his body, too, but it's hard to tell if that's just his scales or not (he's mainly red and white, but the white has a shiny pearlescent gleam with different colors). Also the top fo his head on the red stripe, it seems to be showing a bit of discoloration with a yellowish hue. I've never seen it before, but it doesn't look good whatever it may be... and I don't need a flash light to see that, either x.x