Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #11 
wildflowers

I hear you on the money issue..times are tough! Maybe borrow $3.03 from a friend and get the Betta Revive or the other stuff from Walmart for $2? It will do wonders if you could. I am really seeing a difference already. I think the salt is a good idea, I bought some salt and added it with the Revive. The one thing I am confused about is if I change the water or not soon before the full 7 day treatment or not?

I got my water checked today at Petco and they said the water is under perfect conditions. I have only had her in her new tank for 3 days and it is just her so I am lucky with that.

I have another suggestion too, when you can of course...there is "Nutrafin Cycle" which will allow you to cycle your tank in 3 days when you start fresh again with new water. This will allow for the good bacteria to grow and eat the bad bacteria. it will help the risk of these diseases in the future. I am going to use it. It is expensive and broke my budget at $10, but I figured my fridge is stocked of food and I already paid rent...why not?

So I guess that is the plan..give more drops of Betta Revive tonight, keep the lights off, feed her one pellet to keep ammonia levels down, do a partial change tomorrow and then repeat for 4 more days.

We shall see what happens! I don't want to loose my little Betta girl, she is a total joy to have.

let's keep each other updated!
wildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #12 
Draug Isilme

I'll see if I can get any friends to cough up something for me xD I'm just not sure how likely 'cause pretty much everyone I know is under hard times and looking for jobs, doing college, etc. I'll make something happen, darnit >.<
The 1.5g is really too small to keep a cycle, so that might be one of the reasons why my fish fell prey to illness. I'm getting a 5g soon, though. I'm kinda worried about hte nutrafin cycle stuff, though, 'cause I've heard alot of people on this site say that good bacteria in a bottle is usually not a good idea/a waste of money. Most times, they say that because apparently it needs to be refrigerated to keep the good bacteria alive, and stores usually neglect to do that. Something along those lines, I'm not completely sure. I was hoping to be able to get the 5g and let it cycle before adding the little guy, though.... and use the substrate and one of the caves I have currently to transfer any bacteria that's somewhat built up, but I'm gonna have to see how that goes.. I've never cycled before, so yeah >.>;; But yeah, does the nutrafin cycle stuff seem to be working for your tank? If so and it didn't really have to be refrigerated, I'll see what all my store has and do some research on those a bit more so see whether or not I should go with it or try to let my tank cycle on it's own or get ammonia, or somethin... >.<
But yeha, I'll definitely keep you updated to let you know how Zabimaru (my HM) is doing and I'll wait for vise-versa ^.^ Good luck, I know we both need it
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #13 
Draug Isilme

Also, the heater seems to be working alright. I have it set for 82 right now. The only thing i noticed, though is it doesn't seem to be distributing the head properly. I don't have a filter to turn the current any. I've got two thermometers (one that sticks on the outside, and another glass one inside that sits on the gravel). One was reading 79 while the other glass one was reading 74. I took the glass one out, and noticed the water near the bottom was cooler, so it's not the thermometers xD I've moved the heater down to the bottom now, so it should be good. I'll still keep an eye on it for a couple of house, though, to make sure it doesn't exceed 82 ^.^
Old 09-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #14 
wildflowers

Sounds like a good plan to move him up to a bigger tank. I have my little one in a 2 gallon hexagon filtered tank, since I needed to fit it on a small dresser and don't have much room. Yet, I saw her and wanted to save her from that Petco cup and give her a good life.

I have not used Cycle yet, but I am doing lots of research while it sits next to me to see whether or not to use it. I know in the past, just dumping a fish in water (of course floating the bag) can make a fish sick, so now learning about the cycle process I am willing to give a few days and start a healthy bacteria colony to start this new aquarium off right. I found the Hagen site and I must say, I am not as skeptical because with today's technology as it is 2011...they can find chemicals and buffers to keep live bacteria fresh. I am sure this company has lots of money for their scientist to discover a way. If we tried it out, we would be trying it out together on a new tank :)

Here is the link:
http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/bag.pdf

However, I am desperately hoping this will work because I can not have her wait for 2 weeks in a little bowl while the tank cycles..so she will wait three days while I cycle the tank this way. I am trying to do this right even though, I am a total novice in Betta care. I can't tell you how happy I was when the Petco guy said my water looks good! I was like thank goodness, I have been doing well this far..lol

I actually smiled to myself like a crazy person walking back home! LOL

Last edited by wildflowers; 09-05-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #15 
Draug Isilme

I'd still have to look into the bacteria supplements, honestly. Like I said, I'm not really in a position to spend money as I please, and therefore if I end up getting something that didn't work, it would just be a waste and not fall in my favor. It's not that I don't care about my fish, because I really do (otherwise I wouldn't have squeezed the new tank and accessories into the budget when I was able to), but I need to take care of myself before I can try to care for another, otherwise it ends up hurting both of us in the end. We are more technologically advanced now, but sometimes it can still fail if you're not careful. Like poor quality made things they sell in stores now or days for $40-$50 or more, betta hammocks that still have rusting issues, and more.. plus a lot of people will screw anyone over if the customer doesn't do the needed research- and even then, it still needs to be taken with caution (essentially trial and error).
I do hope the bacteria supplement does work, though, 'cause it would help smaller tanks like yours and mine stay cycled when they are usually too delicate to support their own otherwise ^.^
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #16 
wildflowers

I am learning as fast as I can all about Betta care! The link I gave you is like an Aquarium 101 course. I know Hagen is trying to sell their products, but they also are giving detailed information about the way the way everything works in a closed water system. Check it out and good luck with your fishy :)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #17 
Draug Isilme

Yeah me, too ^.^ I'll be sure to check out the link when I've got better time (trying to do homework xD). I've added it to my favorites so after I get done, I'll be sure to go to it.
This is gonna be off subject, but yeah >.> I figured you'd like to know anyway. I'm not sure if that link talks about sponge filters, but on the off-chance it doesn't or doesn't go into much detail about it, you should check it out ^.^ It lets you know how they work and such. Pretty detailed and lets you know ways of toning down the filter if it's too much for your fish to handle. You can make your own, but even so, the ones they sell are still cheap. If you ever get a big tank, it's a good idea to have a sponge filter with a regular filter 'cause then it picks up the slack on what the other one lacks.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....iltration.html

I've made my own sponge filter for my 5g. It's pretty sweet ^.^ I took one of those dragon statues they sell for fish tanks (the ones that spew out bubbles through its mouth) and modified it to where it will also function as a filter.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #18 
wildflowers

always willing to learn more..thanks for the link! :D
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

This is going to be long but its easier for me to reply to each post instead of trying to remember everything I wanted to comment on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
(It's a Theo that's adjustable and 25w) I'm in the process of changing the water, so I'll see how it goes before putting him in there. TThe reason why I say I don't have money, I know it's around $2, but I've been spending a crap load of money for college (nor do I have a job, so it's coming out of my dad's pocket), so even the smaller things are alot for me at this point... I figured aquarium salt would be best 'cause the stickies on the emergency/disease thread pretty much said it for all the things listed... I was lucky enough to be able to get the salt, really, and since I was at a lack of what to do save for the salt, I figured I better jump on it as soon as possible rather than wait and give the possible velvet more time to attack my fish...
Hydor Theo is a great heater, I have no doubts you'll have any problems with it. And I understand about the budget issue. You can use the salt, just follow the same directions and add 1 tsp of salt per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers View Post
I hear you on the money issue..times are tough! Maybe borrow $3.03 from a friend and get the Betta Revive or the other stuff from Walmart for $2? It will do wonders if you could. The one thing I am confused about is if I change the water or not soon before the full 7 day treatment or not?

I have another suggestion too, when you can of course...there is "Nutrafin Cycle" which will allow you to cycle your tank in 3 days when you start fresh again with new water. This will allow for the good bacteria to grow and eat the bad bacteria. it will help the risk of these diseases in the future. I am going to use it. It is expensive and broke my budget at $10, but I figured my fridge is stocked of food and I already paid rent...why not?
I'm sorry to tell you that most of those "Cycle' things don't work. It's kinda impossible to keep beneficial bacteria alive in a bottle on a shelf and even if it was alive there's no way a good colony of bacteria could establish on the gravel, filter, and decorations in 3 days.

Also Betta Revive isn't really the best medication for velvet. It's really just watered down meth blue and malachite green... which would work great but not in the doses recommended, unless you have a very small tank.

Quote:
The 1.5g is really too small to keep a cycle, so that might be one of the reasons why my fish fell prey to illness. I'm getting a 5g soon, though. ...I was hoping to be able to get the 5g and let it cycle before adding the little guy, though.... and use the substrate and one of the caves I have currently to transfer any bacteria that's somewhat built up, but I'm gonna have to see how that goes.. I've never cycled before, so yeah >.>;;
Most likely (if it is velvet that is) it's probably caused by a temp flucuation from moving the tank to and from the window to help the moss ball grow.

A 5 gallon will be very easy for you to cycle doing it the old-school way with ammonia or fish food (I recommend ammonia though). It'll take about 4 weeks, give or take.

Quote:
Also, the heater seems to be working alright. I have it set for 82 right now. The only thing i noticed, though is it doesn't seem to be distributing the head properly. I don't have a filter to turn the current any. I've got two thermometers (one that sticks on the outside, and another glass one inside that sits on the gravel). One was reading 79 while the other glass one was reading 74. I took the glass one out, and noticed the water near the bottom was cooler, so it's not the thermometers xD I've moved the heater down to the bottom now, so it should be good. I'll still keep an eye on it for a couple of house, though, to make sure it doesn't exceed 82 ^.^
The outside stick thermometers aren't as accurate as the glass ones. How long did you leave the heater in there? It may take an hour or two for the temperature to stabilize but a 25W heater in a 1.5 gallon tank should heat thoroughly. Remember though that 82* to us feels cool.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #20 
Draug Isilme

Thanks for the info ^.^ The heater is working great! Someone on this site recommended it and it had the best reviews out there for a small heater, plus I got it at a good buy ^.^ The only problem is that it's not quite distributing the heat evenly throughout the tank, which is why it's throwing the sticker heater off in comparison to the one that's sitting lower (the sticker is sitting midway and I can stick my hand in it all the way to the bottom and feel the temperature difference. The top half of the water is heated and the bottom half especially near the gravel is much cooler). That's pretty much why they're giving two different readings, otherwise, they've always been one or two degrees off, which I've found to be normal with thermometers in my research. I'm sure if I had a bigger tank and filtered it, it wouldn't be having as much trouble. I know people have said that smaller tanks are harder to heat properly, and this conclusion seems to make sense to me. I've got it set to 83 right now. I hope that doesn't make too much of a difference, but since it's not being heated throughout evenly, I thought it would be best.
Since my tank is a 1.5g should I spring for 1 1/2 tsp of salt, or just the 1 tsp? I've only been adding 1 thus far since I wasn't sure.
I can see it being because of the temperature fluctuation. I've had other bettas that I've never moved (save for water changes) and none of them have ever gotten sick. This is the only one that has, and well.. >.> Yeah, I've been moving it. I was hoping it wasn't going to make much of a difference because I tried to make sure it was when the sun wasn't directly beaming down through the window/indirect sunlight. Ah well, since I don't have the marimo ball in the tank anymore and in it's own cup, I won't have to move the betta while he's being treated save for when I change the water. And when I get the 5g, it'll all be good 'cause then I won't have to move the tank anymore ^.^ (it has a light that should provide enough light for the marimo)