Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
xXbrokencrownXx

Exclamation Suzu's suddenly become really lethargic....

Hey all. So, my heart is kind of breaking at the sight of my dear Suzu right now. I had to leave him at a friends (who has just become a betta owner) because I had to go home for the weekend. She of course, kept me posted with him, and when I left him, he had become extremely lethargic in her care. i left him last friday, and have just gotten him back. He seems to be gasping for air, and literally throws himself out with a huge gulp, as if he's nervous he wont make it. He won't eat, and is just sitting at the top of his tank...

I tested his pH and it was at 7.6 so I IMMEDIATELY did a water change to get it back to normal. He seems slightly better, but not by much.... His pastel color has gone away and is just a pale beige color now. I thought it might have been the melafix ive been giving him for his tail rot... but now looking at it since ive left him, it seems worse! I'm super worried! PLEASE help!

he's in a one gallon, non filtered or heated tank right now, but i JUST got a 14 gallon specifically for him, and i dont want him to die right before getting into a nice big new home.... im so worried!!
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

For now, lower the water level so he can get air easily.

What is the temp of his tank? How many water changes did your friend do while you were gone? 1 50% and 1 100% per week are needed to at least maintain water quality and health.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
For now, lower the water level so he can get air easily.

What is the temp of his tank? How many water changes did your friend do while you were gone? 1 50% and 1 100% per week are needed to at least maintain water quality and health.
right now the temp is 78. She didn't do any water changes since it was only for 3 days. I did a 50% right before giving him to her though.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Does he have any bloating issues? Are the edges of his fins red or black? Is he willing to eat anything?

If you are able to get a clear picture of him, that should help as well as your feeding schedule for him. He does have plants in his tank, right?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Does he have any bloating issues? Are the edges of his fins red or black? Is he willing to eat anything?

If you are able to get a clear picture of him, that should help as well as your feeding schedule for him. He does have plants in his tank, right?
Bloating, he did when i first got him, then he never had any again. The edges of his tail are black, which is why i was giving him melafix. He didnt eat any of the bloodworms i gave him, he looked like he really wanted them, but didn't have the energy. I can try to get a picture of him, it might take a bit. I feed him 2 pellets everyday, sometimes i switch off and give him a few bloodworms. I just threw away the marimo ball he had because it smelled horrible and it was making his tank really cloudy.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

If he's still bloated, premix 1 tsp/gal of EPSOM salt and add it to his tank after doing another 50% change. It's best to treat with the cleanest water available.

Stop any melefix or medications you are using on him. Melefix has an ingredient that is easy to overdose a betta on and cause more harm that good.

change his water 100% every day with the epsom salt for 10 day or until bloating issues are completely gone. The clean water should at the very least slow down any sort of rot he has. If it isn't already gone by the time bloating is, give him a day or two of just fresh, clean water without salt. Afterwards, change his water 100% and add 1 tsp/gal of AQUARIUM salt premixed. Use this salt for a max of 10 days with 100% changes.

Offer him food if he's willing to eat while he's on the epsom salt, but don't worry if he doesn't eat if he's too bloated. another method you could use if his bloating isn't too bad would be to fast him for a day or two. It's a good habit to get into once a week to fast him for one day just to let everything run through his systems before adding some more.

And for marimo moss balls, I believe you can clean them out by rinsing and squeezing debris out in clean tank water. That will keep them healthy and keep your water from clouding.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #7 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
If he's still bloated, premix 1 tsp/gal of EPSOM salt and add it to his tank after doing another 50% change. It's best to treat with the cleanest water available.

Stop any melefix or medications you are using on him. Melefix has an ingredient that is easy to overdose a betta on and cause more harm that good.

change his water 100% every day with the epsom salt for 10 day or until bloating issues are completely gone. The clean water should at the very least slow down any sort of rot he has. If it isn't already gone by the time bloating is, give him a day or two of just fresh, clean water without salt. Afterwards, change his water 100% and add 1 tsp/gal of AQUARIUM salt premixed. Use this salt for a max of 10 days with 100% changes.

Offer him food if he's willing to eat while he's on the epsom salt, but don't worry if he doesn't eat if he's too bloated. another method you could use if his bloating isn't too bad would be to fast him for a day or two. It's a good habit to get into once a week to fast him for one day just to let everything run through his systems before adding some more.

And for marimo moss balls, I believe you can clean them out by rinsing and squeezing debris out in clean tank water. That will keep them healthy and keep your water from clouding.
Ill stop Melafix. But he isnt bloated. He's just acting really lethargic.... should I put the marimoball back in after cleaning it then?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

It probably won't hurt him at all to put it back in, but i'd advise waiting if you're going to treat with any salts since they can be sensitive to it and die. Just keep it in some tank water in a cup or tupperware and roll it around every once and a while to keep it healthy.

I hope Suzu perks up with the fresh water. Can you get a picture of him in his tank? It might help identify anything that could be causing the problem.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #9 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
It probably won't hurt him at all to put it back in, but i'd advise waiting if you're going to treat with any salts since they can be sensitive to it and die. Just keep it in some tank water in a cup or tupperware and roll it around every once and a while to keep it healthy.

I hope Suzu perks up with the fresh water. Can you get a picture of him in his tank? It might help identify anything that could be causing the problem.
ok, ill do that salt treatment tomorrow, i dont have any salts except for aquarium salt. I got pictures, theyre kinda blurry so i dont know if it'll help. heres the album http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...nXx/?start=all .
Sorry for the quality!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Aquarium salt will help any fin damage he has and will hopefully perk him up a bit.

You said you just got him back, which i'm totally stupid for not remembering earlier, but he might just be getting used to his "new" surroundings again.

Tags
sick help lethargic