Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #21 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPanthersgurl View Post
So I got curious about the blue water myself; it's actually a disease preventative. Some pet store's will continue to add it after the fish arrive, some will slowly phase it out.
hey - thanks for finding out - its good to know :D
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #22 
roadplug

That's terribly upsetting that you lost him, but I'm positive you did all you could for him. Sad things happen sometimes. It is wonderful how you try hard for each one - and for the time Hiro had left - you improved his comfort. I'll look for your pictures.

I'd say Sandy has improved some. Her color is brighter, she eats well and is active, but she still spends most of her time at least a little on her side.

I'm not sure if Draco's tank has an actual LED light. I ordered two more of the same tank that should be here tomorrow so I'll check the box for what kind it is.

I smelled something really stinky last weekend after I brought home a new light hood for the 10 gal tank that Sid lives in. I thought it was just normal smell like happens the first time you plug in something with a lot of new plastic close to a bulb. But still after a couple of hours the smell was actually worse. I kept checking the plugs wires and surge protector and they were all fine.

I followed my nose to the bulbs under the hood. One of the 25 watt bulbs burned the glass all the way around the middle of the bulb - but the bulb never burned out - it was still on, and had started smoking.
the hood and the bulb were brand new out of the box, bought separately at petsmart. I didn't know a bulb could do that!

I dont think it could have caused a fire, but it could have melted something icky into the water or shocked Sid if it really came apart, i think. Now I don't leave their lights on when i leave the house!
Guess no matter how hard you try to keep them safe, you know. :D

I get my Java moss from my favorite pet shop in Rapid City SD they wad up a big chunk in a fish bag for a dollar. I'll ship you a wad free if you cant find it locally. I put the big wad in my 50 gallon tank a year ago, and just pull chunks off for the bettas homes. it came with snails and duck weed, that they sell too - separately. [lol free bonus]

I had a yellow betta once [years ago], back when i thought it was okay to keep them in those little cute bowls. At least i changed the water every day. I had other tanks and even then didn't really understand how any fish could live like that - but that's what i was told to put them in.

I love the yellows and orange colors. I haven't found any locally again, but one of the pet shops said they would try to get me a boy, girl or both of the yellow/mustard gas.

Don't forget to take as good care of you as you do your little pals
Mia
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #23 
NCPanthersgurl

That orange you posted looks a lot like my Xavier!!!

:D
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #24 
jskate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadplug View Post
That's terribly upsetting that you lost him, but I'm positive you did all you could for him. Sad things happen sometimes. It is wonderful how you try hard for each one - and for the time Hiro had left - you improved his comfort. I'll look for your pictures.

I'd say Sandy has improved some. Her color is brighter, she eats well and is active, but she still spends most of her time at least a little on her side.

I'm not sure if Draco's tank has an actual LED light. I ordered two more of the same tank that should be here tomorrow so I'll check the box for what kind it is.

I smelled something really stinky last weekend after I brought home a new light hood for the 10 gal tank that Sid lives in. I thought it was just normal smell like happens the first time you plug in something with a lot of new plastic close to a bulb. But still after a couple of hours the smell was actually worse. I kept checking the plugs wires and surge protector and they were all fine.

I followed my nose to the bulbs under the hood. One of the 25 watt bulbs burned the glass all the way around the middle of the bulb - but the bulb never burned out - it was still on, and had started smoking.
the hood and the bulb were brand new out of the box, bought separately at petsmart. I didn't know a bulb could do that!

I dont think it could have caused a fire, but it could have melted something icky into the water or shocked Sid if it really came apart, i think. Now I don't leave their lights on when i leave the house!
Guess no matter how hard you try to keep them safe, you know. :D

I get my Java moss from my favorite pet shop in Rapid City SD they wad up a big chunk in a fish bag for a dollar. I'll ship you a wad free if you cant find it locally. I put the big wad in my 50 gallon tank a year ago, and just pull chunks off for the bettas homes. it came with snails and duck weed, that they sell too - separately. [lol free bonus]

I had a yellow betta once [years ago], back when i thought it was okay to keep them in those little cute bowls. At least i changed the water every day. I had other tanks and even then didn't really understand how any fish could live like that - but that's what i was told to put them in.

I love the yellows and orange colors. I haven't found any locally again, but one of the pet shops said they would try to get me a boy, girl or both of the yellow/mustard gas.

Don't forget to take as good care of you as you do your little pals
Mia

yes, the one thing that i am happy about is that he didn't pass in those filthy cups. and it does make it a little easier knowing that he wasn't in as much pain, and that he was in a clean, safe environment and was happy :)

and okay! what tank is it, do you know? i'm quite interested in them now that you mention them.!

and oh my! that's crazy! i didn't know they could do that either. that would have been awful if it would have shattered from over heating. how strange of it to melt the middle but not go out! never seen or heard of anything like that. was the watt's of the bulb higher than the recommendation that came with the tank? (not sure if that has anything to to do with what happened, but seems like that could possibly be a suspect.) and yes! lol it's always something that's one step ahead of you or something you'd never suspect that gets ya! we gotta keep our babies safe :P

and alright! :D i'm going to a petland a little farther out to see if they have anything the local stores don't. if they don't have it, i will certainly take you up on that offer! thank you! :D

and he's beautiful! :D i hope they do get some in for you! and i don't know if my Sherbert is up to your color standards, but if i ever breed him (which im not sure if i will or not) i will gladly give you a set of the fry if they turn out orange! :D

@NCPanthergurl - he's a lovely fish! :D i love the butterfly coloring on his tail!!
jskate94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #25 
roadplug

Quote:
That orange you posted looks a lot like my Xavier!!!
:D
OOOOoo! Xavier is beautiful! Are his fins white or clear? I think if i ever do breed them, I'd like to breed Bettas colored like Xavier, do the spots on his side make him a dragon?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #26 
roadplug

Hi jskate94

I found the order from my email ^.^)
they are PETCO Hex Freshwater Aquarium
https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1343840
These are 2 gals and come with a funny little filter. When i first turned it on it blew barney to the bottom. so i lowered it, so the water running out was the same or just under the water level. Now it gently moves the surface. Not sure how efficient it is except for getting large chunks out of the water [like duckweed] o.O)

The bulbs are the highest recommended. the manual said 10 or 25 Watts. I got the 25. It was just the one bulb. the blue and the clear one thats in there now are fine. In my experience using higher than recommended would have melted and burnt the hood. In this case the hood and socket are still undamaged. I'm glad it was just the bulb, and i didnt go off and leave it on. This hood warms up the water too. It keeps it at 79 in there. I watch the temp carefully and will change to the smaller watts if too hot. It went up to 86 one day, and i turned it off, but see from the FAQ here that it is still in the range of their comfy temps. :D

I have those sticky thermometers on the outside of each betta home, and rotate a floating thermometer between the tanks to be sure they are showing the correct temp.

I love the Java moss. When i lived in AZ i couldnt find it anywhere and had to have it shipped. Its and now the duckweed that came in it, are the only plants i don't kill regularly.

That's a wonderful offer if you do breed Sherbert :D I would happily accept with gratitude :D

There was a site that i thought was betafish.com that had pairs for sale and a huge database of information. I was looking for it, when i found this site. That site didn't have a forum that i remember. It had a cartoony betta fish for the logo. I think it had pictures of the pairs they sold so you could see the male and female of any color. I bet the yellow/orange girls are cute too.

When i first found this site, I didn't see why it was important to some to breed 'like to like', but I've seen where people think they're mutts. I'm not so gung-ho to breed, but i did put Sid and Eunice together in the 10 gal about 5 days ago. He stopped making his bubble-nests, but there has been no fin biting, just the educational dance. She stands on her head and doesn't run from him. Maybe i should change their names to Will and Grace.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #27 
NCPanthersgurl

The spots on his side are usually found in the pineapple lines, but I'm not sure if he still counts being orange. The "clear" parts on his fins are really cool and strange; in some lights they look clear, some they look like a shimmery white, and some an iridescent pinky purple. It's awesome. :)

My Richtofen is a dragon:

Usually dragon's just have lighter colored body scales, and in my experience they're more pronounced than regular scales.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #28 
roadplug

Quote:
The spots on his side are usually found in the pineapple lines, but I'm not sure if he still counts being orange. The "clear" parts on his fins are really cool and strange; in some lights they look clear, some they look like a shimmery white, and some an iridescent pinky purple. It's awesome. :)

My Richtofen is a dragon:

Usually dragon's just have lighter colored body scales, and in my experience they're more pronounced than regular scales.
Hehe, Pineapple? Cool :D changing their lighting a little can make some look like they're a different color :) I have seen dragons then, like the body color is one color, and the scales are lighter and look like armor - 'scale shaped'. I have checked out the dragon pics online and some are very clearly dragons, like you're Richtofen.

Thanks for the info and sharing the picture :D
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #29 
jskate94

blurry, but him flaring!

showing how his tail was healing :)

blurry again, but showing how pretty his color shined under light!

semi-flaring :P showing his fin growth!

anal fin regrowth

rest easy little guy!
jskate94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #30 
roadplug

You can see how his fins were healing and he was a pretty color. I don't think I've seen one that color before. On my screen he looks turquoise with blue or purple in his fins - is that about correct? Thanks for sharing the pictures of him.
And yes may he rest easy . . .