Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

breeding bettas in tubs..?

Ive hear many people say they do this, i know how to setup a breeding aquarium but how would i set up a breeding tub for bettas such as a rubbermaid container? I have one thats about 30 gallons and i have a heater, now what? I just dont understand how i would be able to monitor the bettas, how are you even able to tell if they spawn if your looking from the surface? any advice would be greatly appreciated lol..
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

I used a 30 gallon clear rubbermaid tub once and I didn't have any trouble. I don't know how you'd check on them if is a solid color tub though. If you want to breed them in a tub, get a clear one....
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't know what a rubbermaid tub is, but I use a dark (mostly black) round tub about 10-13.5g. I fill the water half or 1/3 and use a lot of anacharis in half of the tub. I don't use cups or any nest area. I simply cover the top where I want the nest to be (usually with wood). I could see everything.

This is not my breeding set up. But this is the tub I use and the white square is how I cover (sometimes I cover half of the tub)
Name:  Image049-copy.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  16.9 KBName:  New Picture.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  16.7 KB

If you don't use cups for nest areas, you can see the eggs. Further the female will usually be at the opposite side of the tub.
You can reduce the plants or spread them evenly through out the tub once spawning is complete. You can see fry, gunk, etc. And once you're used to it, you can tell if the fry are having problems. But you can't see the fry eating, nor can you take pictures of them.

Deeper tubs like this 21g icebox is harder to control. You cant see much other than if the spawning is done. I usually don't siphon gunk out when using this tub. And I control my fry at night - when fry usually rest on the surface.
Name:  plant nursery-copy.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  12.1 KB
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I breed almost exclusively in a 5 gallon clear sterilite container. I prefer the plastic containers because with the tight fitting lid you can keep air very moist and humid inside the tank above the water which is essential to good nests and healthy development of the fry.

Personally I would get a smaller bin to spawn and then transfer the fry to a larger bin when they're older. Too big a space can reduce the liklihood that all the fry will find enough food. Essentially the smaller the surface area the higher the food ratio will be which means fatter fry and less waste
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

haha I was looking on google about the tubs... because I have more room for a clear tub, that I can get for 5-10 dollars rather than a 20-50 gallon tank, for 70+ dollars -.- so I much appreciate the ideas here :) I am breeding bettas, so may need large areas for the fry when they get older ^^
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #6 
Mohan85

tubs look hard to keep clean is it to mimic a more natural environment? or is it just for the purpose of cheaper cost? looks cool tho, but i cant imagine doing this lol
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I think I may have to, but then again I may not :p lol. I think it is just easier to contain so many fry lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #8 
Creat

They are just as easy to clean many of mine are kind of opaque you can see the eggs in the nest and fry when they swim close enough and their cheaper then glass. I have yet to find any difference between tubs and aquariums
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #9 
Dragonlady

Speaking of tubs for breeding, I have found clear 2 gallon tubs for $1 each at the dollar store where everything is $1. I They can be useful to have around as temporary housing for young males.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'll have to look there. That sounds like a good deal. Were they longer or tall?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote