Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Wink Princess Mo' with...?

Hey yall, so I have a marble double ray crowtail girly here, with the purple tail that I LOVE. I'm planning on breeding giants next summer but thought I should give it a go with regular betta first =] I am wondering who you think the best match would be for her?

Here is the Mo...

And her two suitors:

Vega - A marble hm. I like him because he's unusual and they would produce some amazing marbling! He's still changing.

Or ...this guy? He's a full mask silver dragon with purple fins, I was thinking him because it'd be great to get more purple into bettas. He also has beautiful scaling and a perfect compact little body. He's younger than Vega, barely bigger than Mo. Only one of these photos denotes his true colors, and I will mark it. The others are so you can see his face and scaling. I don't know if you can tell, but he has the slightest bit of crowning in his tail.

What sort of outcomes do you guys think will be realistic for the first round?

^^^^^ These are his true colors! On a purple book for comparison =]

I think either way the babies would be beautiful, but I love dragons and I love purple so you probably know which way I'm leaning! Thoughts?

Picked me up a 55 gal today for grow- out (so big because I'll use it for the giants as well)
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #2 
Amphibianite

Haha my Prince Poppycock would be the best match XD

Mixing CTs with other types leads to serious fin disfigurements, there will be some who will have great fins but most will be warped fins. From what I have heard of course no person experience.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #3 
GreenTea

You CAN get deformities crossing crowntails with other tails types, but you won't necessarily, and second gen of this line will carry the short tail gene and should be able to be reproduced. I want to add more purple to plakats, hopefully dragons. He has slight ridging to his tail so I think he has some ct in him. If I got crowntails, that'd be OK too! Crowntail is a fairly dominant trait.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #4 
Amphibianite

Sounds great. Honestly I am not sure of everything with genetics and such. I am pretty new at this.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You have your goal set - cross her to your PK. With selective breeding you can come up with CTPK dragons. But it will take you many generations and massive culling - unless you can rehome the ones you don't want/need.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Well, I've changed my mind. I want to breed some dragon hmpks, hopefully with purple or marbled coloring, so I've picked this girl, for the purple and silver dragon above.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shmp1315361406
Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #7 
Amphibianite

She is a stunning girl ^_^.

Speaking of which you wouldn't be willing to part with the CT girl there would you? XD Can't blame a guy for dreaming XD ( I am only joking I know you adore her ^_^)
I can't wait to see the spawns you get from those ^_^
Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Me neither! I have started cycling the big tank and I'm doing fry food research still.

I love that her eyes are different colors, I think it'd be great if that came out in her fry! I am a fan of unusual bettas.

And I don't know that I could part with her, but maybe I could loan her to spawn with your boy? They really ARE a great match. She's a lil feisty one.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

I didn't notice the eyes, that is stunning. I love things We will have to talk about that. Poppycock has a nice blue CT girl right now. This will be his first spawn so I want to see how he does with it. Maybe over my month long winter break or something we can see about you loaning me her for a few days. I would happily give you half the spawn they create :P
Lets see what happens with this spawn first though ^_^
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #10 
Tisia

I was thinking she'd go well with my Tumnus >_> lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote