Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #21 
wildflowers

No she is not clamping her fins at all or seems depressed..she is very active and maybe a little stressed and scared. She eats every 2 pellets a day I give her. She is really tiny, so I don't feed her too much. Yet, she never lets it sit in the water for a millisecond!

Oh yay! I am so happy I met you tonight! It really is a relief to know she just is pinky gold and that is ok. I will keep a look out for anything unusual. Her little gold head is something maybe that cambodians have in common.

Should I wait a day to put her in the tank though?..I hate making her stay in that cup. I now know to get a bigger hospital tank ASAP.

I am so grateful that you took the time to help me :)

Last edited by wildflowers; 09-07-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: forgot info
wildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #22 
Sakura8

You're welcome, I'm always glad to help a betta friend in need.

I'm glad your girl doesn't have velvet. It's a hard one to treat because there's only one short part of the parasite's life cycle that they are susceptible to treatment. :/ So yay! It sounds like she is a healthy girl. If you want to make absolutely certain, you can wait one more day but if she seems really unhappy in her cup, I think you'll be fine putting her in the tank tomorrow. If she stresses out too much in the cp, her immune system could crash a bit. Just be sure you keep an eye on her for the next few days and watch for clamped fins.

I find 1-2 gallons is a good size for hospital tanks because they can be heated. I have several 1.75g Petco Pet Keepers (I think it is the Medium or Large size) that work great and they aren't SUPER expensive.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #23 
wildflowers

Sounds good! I can't tell you how relieved I am. I have had her for two weeks and determined to give her a nice relaxing life...not doing such a good job of ODing her on B.R!!!

I will wait a day, she is anxious and was very happy in her tank when I first introduced her. I have a little dilemma though..I have one heater (can only afford one of those expensive things right now) and I have her tank sitting there till room temp and then her cup sitting there till room temp. Should I wait till they are the same room temp and then put her in the tank...and then turn on her heater that adjusts the water to 78-80 degrees? Or is that too much a jump in heat?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #24 
Sakura8

What is room temp for you? For me in Cali right now it's around 77* If your room temp is higher than 76* I think letting the temps of both containers equalize at room temp sounds good. The heater should heat the water up slowly enough that she won't be too shocked. You could also get the tank up to 78-80 beforehand and float the cup in the tank for an hour so the temps equalize that way. Either way should work fine.

And I totally understand about the heaters. Why are they so expensive???? But I learned the hard way not to waste money on the cheaper ones because they didn't work and I ended up spending twice as much money getting a second heater. :/
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #25 
MaggieLynn

I was just skimming through this thread and I had the same issue with the directions for ick with the 3 every 12. so what I ended up doing was adding 2 tsp and then 12 hours later adding one more then 12 hours from that 100% change then repeat with the 2 tsp and so on. I even read somewhere that for ich you can take the concentration of salt water like ocean water which is 30ppm i think or its more like 30 tsp per gallon of salt, basically take that and put your fish in a net and just let it hang out in the salt water for a minute or 2 or until the fish rolls on its side then put it back in its tank. I just thought that was interesting, I have never had to deal with velvet and I hope I dont have to.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #26 
MaggieLynn

The link is all about fresh water fish parasites. I found it interesting

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/aqua/parasites.html

on the chart at the bottom it has treatment-ish for velvet, mainly what you can use to treat it.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #27 
wildflowers

Hello Sakura8!

Whew..I am so thankful for this site and knowledgable people like you, none of my friends own Bettas and I feel so alone with the thousands of sites online...who to trust!?

I got her in her new tank now and she seems to be doing better. I put a 1/2 teaspoon of Aq salt in her 2 gallon tank to aid in stress relief. She is still darting to the left to the right quickly, but is not scratching anything. Just swimming straight up and then zooming down...using her mouth like a little vacuum cleaner! I am not sure if this means she is stressed from the water changes or what?!

She swims around fine for awhile and then does a quick swim around, and then stops and then looks at me. I thought Bettas were supposed to be very zen like, she is a little hyper. She is eating every two Hikari gold pellets I give her a day, (she is 1.5 inches, so I don't want to over feed her), she is not breathing abnormally and I got my water tested at Petco today before she went in and here are my levels:

nitrates: 0
nitrates: 0
ammonia: 0
hardness: 150 (from Chicago)
akaline: 20
P.H 6.8

So I guess I have a fresh start here!

Sakura8, you have been so helpful...what should my next plan of action be?

p.s looking at her body and gills, she still has a copper penny streak on each one, however they are identical on each side, so that could be her coloring once again.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Hi wildflowers. I'm glad she made the transition into her new tank okay. She's probably just so excited that she has some new space to explore. In my experience, females are a lot more active than males, probably because they don't have to lug those heavy tails around.

Her darting behavior could be her just looking around or possibly, if she is doing it at the front of the tank and in one place, her "wiggle dance." Most bettas do a funny little wiggle when they see their owners and are happy.

I would only leave the salt in the tank with her for another day. Long term exposure to the salt can reduce its effectiveness if she gets sick and needs a salt treatment later. Your water parameters look good, too.

It sounds like your next plan of action is to watch her for a few days to make sure she settles in okay and then to just enjoy her and try not to get bit by the betta bug. Congratulations!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #29 
wildflowers

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Ok, I will just take the wiggle dance as a happy dance and not a "I have something hanging off my butt and need to shake it off dance" ;P

ALSO...I just thought about it, but females who are ready to mate (she has a bright little oval spot on her underbelly) could they possibly be a little "frisky" or hyper?

How do you take the salt out of the tank, using a turkey baster and taking water out from the bottom?

Thank you again :)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #30 
wildflowers

Thanks for the chart Maggie! It is bookmarked now :)

Tags
betta revive, crowntail female, protozoan, velvet