Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 
Jodi1274

Why did my betta die?

I'm a fish owner, fish was 3 wks old since purchase, seemed happy and even built 2 bubble nests over last 2 weeks. 3 gal tank, heated, water changed at least 1 x week, 100%. Kids may have overfed him a bit. I researched care here and thought we were doing a pretty good job of caring for him, with the exception of possibly overfeeding a bit (both kids thought it was their turn to feed him so he got fed twice most days)Seemed to get what I think was fin rot, then got suddenly sick and died withing 24 hrs of noticing fin rot. I had changed the water, added 1 tsp salt and stress care 12 hrs after I noticed his fin rot. He died hours later. Only other thing different was he had been on betta food that looked like dried worms, but jar said betta food, not blood worms, and I tried him on 2 betta pellets when I did the water change. He was already declining at that point though. Did I do something wrong?
Jodi1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
Jodi1274

oops

Meant to say, I'm a new fish owner, first fish.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 
Bresn

Everything seem so ok.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #4 
DragonFish

It sounds like you have an ideal settup going on....its very likely he could have had something before you even purchased him.

Can you tell us a little more about the symptoms he exhibited? Any heavy breathing, lethargy, loss of color, fuzzy/white spots, bloating, anything else unusual? How did you come to the conclusion of Finrot?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
Jodi1274

Thumbs down

I noticed his tail was suddenly much shorter and ragged looking two nights ago and in the morning light I could see that the edges were dark looking, so I assumed finrot after I did a little research. He seemed to be acting fine the night before though so I just changed the water before I went to bed and bought the salt and stress care in the morning and added them around lunch time. Then that afternoon, he seemed very lethargic, resting on the plant leaves and then a little while later down on the bottom of the tank. Also, it seemed he was gasping for breath under the water. I could tell he was sick but didn't know what else to do for him. We went out for a few hours and he was gone when we came home :(
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
ashleyy

did you use aquarium salt?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi Jodi and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you lost your guy. Sadly, it happens a lot because many pet store bettas are sick already due to the conditions they're kept in at the store. :/ Your setup sounds good and your water change schedule sounds pretty good too. Did you use water conditioner? I'm sure you did but I thought I'd ask just to cover all the bases.

Do you think you could take a pic of the worm like food you were feeding? I'm curious to know what it might be. And did you notice any bloating before your guy passed away? It sounds like the most likely cause of death was overfeeding but that almost invariably causes bloating too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #8 
Jodi1274

Thanks for the replies everyone. The kids want another fish so I want to know I'm not murdering them accidentally. I did use aquarium salt and water conditioner. I took another look at the food and it is "Nutrafin betta food" which it says on the bottle provides a complete diet for bettas, but on the back it says "freeze dried grubs". Is that the same as blood worms? I read that blood worms are supposed to just be a treat so I hope not.
I don't know for sure but I don't think he was nloated, I took a good look at him after he died and I didn't think so but I'm inexperienced with fish, so maybe I don't know what to look for?
We are moving this month so I'm going to wait till we get settled before getting another betta but I'm interested in any suggestions to help my next guy.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Freeze-dried grubs sounds . . . suspicious. I would definitely switch to a different food. I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets, or New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm pellets.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 
iloveengl

I would suggest purchasing small, floating pellets by New Life Spectrum or Omega One. Those are both high quality brands, and pellets should be the staple diet for your betta.

To reduce over-feeding, you may want to get one of those weekly pill box things. http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...izer-11355.jpg

Measure out the daily food (which is only a few pellets, btw) and label each day with one othe kids' name. Then there's no doubt whose day it is to feed, and the betta can't stuff itself silly. Plus overfeeding can cause serious water quality issues. Just keep the main food container somewhere out of the kids' reach.

Otherwise, it really does sound like you're doing everything right. As the above poster said, many bettas are raised and then kept in poor conditions before they arrive in our homes, and sometimes the new owner can do everything right, but the betta is just too weak to make it.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote