Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 
Jorjor2

My betta's suddenly VERY bloated! Please help!

My red veiltale male whom I've had for a month now is extremely bloated. I'm a bit in shock right now because I could have sworn he looked normal when I walked into the kitchen first thing this morning. I gave him his normal morning feeding of two hikari baby-sized pellets(which I soak in water for 2-3 minutes prior). (he gets soaked pellets in the morning and one large or two small freeze dried bloodworms which I also pre soak in the evenings).

Then I did daily 50% water change, added to the new water his regular conditioner(aquasafe), and a drop of hikari betta revive and a pinch of sea salt, both of which I use once a week. I come in half an hour later and it looks like he just swallowed a marble! He's swimming really awkwardly, he's not sideways but he is somewhat tilted. Right now he's resting on a lucky bamboo leaf near the surface of the water. I'm scared out of my mind right now because this happened so suddenly. I'm already planning on fasting him for 3 days and seeing if that helps any. Any other tips?

I'll try to post pictures when I get a chance.
Jorjor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #2 
audjree

do you always feed him freeze-dried bloodworms daily? if fed regularly, they're known to cause bloating. also, do you always use sea salt? salt isn't needed unless he has fin rot, or ripped fins. salt is also known to harm bettas, if used too often.

i believe you can use epsom salt to reduce his bloat, though i'm not sure of the amount. i think it's 1 tsp per gallon, but let someone else tell you the exact amount. i hope he gets better. (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #3 
Jorjor2

Quote:
Originally Posted by audjree View Post
do you always feed him freeze-dried bloodworms daily? if fed regularly, they're known to cause bloating. also, do you always use sea salt? salt isn't needed unless he has fin rot, or ripped fins. salt is also known to harm bettas, if used too often.

i believe you can use epsom salt to reduce his bloat, though i'm not sure of the amount. i think it's 1 tsp per gallon, but let someone else tell you the exact amount. i hope he gets better. (:
God, yes I do feed them daily. Guilty as charged Almost always give him a soaked bloodworm in the evenings. Obviously I'm going to have to cut back on that. I use the sea salt once a week so no not regularly but not sparingly either....
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
audjree

it's okay, you didn't know. it's best to give them freeze-dried bloodworms only once a week, twice at most. try buying some frozen bloodworms, they're much more nutritious, and you can feed them 4-6 days a week. also, try regularly fasting him one day each week. this can prevent bloating.

i think for now, you should stop the salt. is it regular table salt with no additives? or marine salt? table salt is fine to use for fin rot and ripped fins, but marine salt is a no-no. the safest bet is aquarium salt. but for now, if he doesn't have fin rot or ripped fins, he shouldn't need it.

for now, just fast him for a few days, and try to buy some epsom salt.
okay, i found the measurements. 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon, 100% daily water changes. to make it easier, do you have a quarantine tank? if not, do you have the cup he came in? you can QT him in his cup, to make the daily water changes easier. try this for about 3 or 4 days, if there are still no changes up the dose to 2 tsp per gallon. try it for a week to 10 days at most. pre-mix the water and epsom salt in an empty milk or water gallon jug.

Last edited by audjree; 09-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #5 
Jorjor2

thanks for all your help so far, I'll ask my parents If they can take me to CVS sometime within the next couple days to pick some up.

In the meantime I'm just going to stop feeding him for 2-3 days, maybe start feed him one or two pellets a day if he starts getting better. I think I'll fast my healthy guy for a day too just out of paranoia. lol

Last edited by Jorjor2; 09-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #6 
audjree

no problem. keep us updated, i hope he gets well. (:
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #7 
Jorjor2

Ok my mom got a bag of it, adding it now... Still not looking too good, ill see if this helps him at all.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #8 
Jorjor2

Thankfully he's doing alot better than he was earlier. For a while he was just floating(on his side) at the top and I was sure he was a goner. Now a few hours after adding the E-salt he is upright again, he occasionally starts to turn on his side but is able to catch himself. I'm hoping for the best bracing for the worst here.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 
BettaGirl290

hes not gonna quit on my watch! imma help you through this! :D
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #10 
BettaGirl290

Also, please fill this out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote