Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #1 
LadyCrimson

Exclamation NEW TANK- several questions concerns

backround- Gallon size tank, one male betta :)

I purchased a small tank which requires me to change the water on a daily basis, with this i was also recommended to purchase a betta care kit containing tablets- the directions state that each tablet is to be used on a new bowl, during reg. water changes, or adding new fish to a tank less than 2 gallons. These are the only directions, and seem to imply that you may add these to the tank with the fish present, is this correct? ( states that removes chlorine and heavy metals, and promotes slme coat, and reduce stress.

My new beta seems rather subdued, he has healthy color, and doesnt yet show any signs of physical disease, however he is very timid. often wedges into the bottom by the rocks behind decor

any comments appreciated!
LadyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

I'd ditch the tablet conditioner and go for liquid that you can properly dose. Also take a gander at this thread

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

I'm with ForbiddenSecrets - ditch that tablet. Prime by Seachem is a highly reccomended water conditioner for bettas. The link provided is the way to go. Is your little guy brand new? He sounds like he's a little stressed because he's working so hard to stay hidden. Would it be possible to upgrade him to a 2gal or 2.5gal? A one gal is pretty small and doesn't allow a lot of space for decorations or exploring. The smallest reccomended size on this forum is a 2 gal. Then you could add some other items to help him be more comfortable. Perhaps a betta log or a couple of caves to hide in. Silk plants are good too. Bettas need hiding places. If they have a convenient, safe place to retreat, he'll venture out more. However, this all takes time. One of my females hid in her log for almost 14 days and wouldn't eat when I first brought her home.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 
LadyCrimson

this message really helps. At the pet store the personel i talked to that the galon was more then enough, he is new, he enjoys the decoration i have observed him twiring around it, and its openings are lard enough that he "spins and jets" around them (thought about naming him jetstream for this reason- waiting to see more on his personality.)

I feel that this small tank is neglecting him :( and i have already consitered after his first 12 hours in the tank about upgrading to a tank that look around 2.5, and adding a living water plant to help with the cleaning, and with some real roots for him to hide.
My previouse tank was only a one gallon (as a child) with only a living plant, no heater or any of the other equipment, that one lived for almost 4 years with my family, and to be honest i dont think my parents changed the water even once a week :( at the pet store i saw tanks for .3 gal, that one really got me angry- these were avertised as beta homes :(

Food sourse also concerns me, i have read some directions that say feed 3 times a week, and others that say twice daily. i have the floating pellets as well as bloodworm (a snack i understand) he doesnt seem to yet like venturing to the top for the floating pellets
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Most folks feed their bettas 2x a day. Usually 2 pellets at each feeding and then a bloodworm or two once a week. I feed my guys bloodworms too much, but they really hate those pellets. I've tried wingless fruitflies and brine shrimp too. They liked all of it. Although the fruitflies grossed me out - yucko! A varied diet 2x day in small quantities is best. A lot of folks even fast their bettas one day a week. All of my bettas did really well in 2.5 gals. Room to roam, room for variety of decorations and room for a heater. If a betta is cold they won't be as active. They're a tropical fish and thrive between 78-80 degrees. So many pet store folks mis-direct betta owners. You found a great forum to steer you in the right direction. :)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
LadyCrimson

I really appreciate this :) and so will my little guy. He might have to hold out in this gallon for a week or so :( i live an hour away from any petstore, so i hope he can be patient with me. The feeding information also helps, i will make sure i brows some of these forums, and keep asking queations. Now i feel bad for just the gallon habitat, my friend has one in a container thats maybe a half gal, taken up mostly by one big statue, i feel that that poor fella bearly swims in a circle, maybe i will have to fishnap him :0
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #7 
flowerslegacy

He'll be fine for now. Many of our bettas have to cupped and isolated from time to time due to health issues and med treatments. His one gallon home will be just fine, especially with your excellent husbandry. Make sure you post pics of his new home. Look forward to seeing it!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #8 
LadyCrimson

i am working on that now :) thanks again!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

As long as he gets his water changes as needed his one gallon will be fine until you can upgrade. Some users have 1 gal perm homes that work rather well though I'd suggest bigger just because its a lot less work and its my personal preference to have more space. Then again I also have only 2 bettas and they are in 14 gallons alone each ha ha ^^;; So... I over do it on the space thing. I think 2.5 / 3 gallon makes a good base standard.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote