Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
GrellxUndertaker

Size of a betta tank.

I'd like to know about what size tank i should get for both of my betta's as an upgrade from their small 1 gallon tanks. I live in an apartment and have limited space so i'm wondering. Should i get a 5 gallon Or a 2.5 gallon tank. And how often should i change said tanks. I also want to know if using real plants are better then using plastic plants.
GrellxUndertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 
SKA123

Red face

I'm pretty new to taking care of bettas, but i live in a dorm, even little space lol. i think 5 gallons is good. but my tank is 2.5 gallons. i think you should change a 2.5 gallon tank once or twice a week. make sure to give him or her only 2-3 pellets if that's the food you have for them. keep the temperature in the tank in the 70s, preferably 78 i believe. and if you put any decorations in the tank make sure you wash them with warm water. :) Oh and using real live plants are better, cause i think the fake ones tend to hurt their fins, maybe? but yea bettas like to hid behind things, and make sure you have a cover on the tank because they can jump ^^
SKA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #3 
GrellxUndertaker

Thanks for the insight, I'm thinking personally of getting a 2.5 tank because i think a five gallon tank would be too big for where i put them. Although a five gallon would be nice.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #4 
SKA123

I think that's a good idea, just make sure you have the tank you want to put them in prepared a head of time before you put them in there. the water needs to adjust to room temp, and the water conditioner has to be put in. i just got my betta a 2.5 gallon tank today, and i'll be putting him in his tank tomorrow. lol but it's always good to get others opinions on this. :)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #5 
GrellxUndertaker

I think thats a good idea to set them up beforehand, and because i have two fish, i might get the tanks at different times, or set them up at different times. I only have so many water containers and places to put them.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 
SKA123

If you have the chance you could probably go to Wal-Mart *like i did* and get this tank, which is 2.5 gallons at priced at 24 bucks, from hawkeye. it comes with a divider, but i wouldn't use it, because then the bettas really have no room to spread out. Also it has a light and hood, and the light can help with heating it's tank, just don't leave it on all the time. So, yea if you have the chance go to Wal-mart sometime this week, set up the tanks, leave them in the tanks they're in now and then a day after the tanks are set up just plop them in there. don't forget water conditioner lol
Old 09-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 
GrellxUndertaker

I actually want to get a tank from petco, the same brand as my one gallon tanks because i really enjoy the hood. Unfortunately walmart doesn't carry the same brand. If they did i would so buy from them. And i never forget the conditoner. I keep my water in one gallon jugs. (water or milk, if milk I make sure its completely clean, no soap of course) And i condition it a day before i use it.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #8 
SKA123

That's a pretty good idea ^^
Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #9 
GrellxUndertaker

I thought it might be. Even though just for a 2.5 gallon tank its like 45 bucks at my local pet store. The quality is worth it.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #10 
SKA123

Yep. true. i think it makes the betta's happier. so what made you decide to upgrade to a bigger tank(s)?