Showbiz

Emergency: Betta hopped the divider

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 bettas in one divided 5 gallon

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day with one pellet every day, except twice a week with 1 freeze dried bloodworm and one fasting day
How often do you feed your betta fish? ^ depends

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

(figured I'd just explain here)

So, I went up to Rochester NY this weekend, leaving early on Sunday morning and returning home at about 5 pm (I'm in NJ). When I left on Sunday, both fish were fine and both were on their sides of the tank.
When I got back I went to feed them, and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw both swimming towards me from the same side of the divider (which has only about a cm gap between the top of it and the lid).

My crowntail (who's the stupid one that jumped) was the worst off. He has a few scales missing across his body, and a giant, open wound on the side of his head, along with some chunks of his tail and fins taken out.

My halfmoon is missing about 1/3 of his fins and tail total, and has a few scales missing but nothing nearly as serious as my crowntail.

I put them in their little petsmart cups and I'm floating them in the main 5 gallon tank (I have them attached with unbent paper clips to the side of the tank so that there is no way for the cups to go below the water level) with aquarium salt. I put water in the cups with the recommended dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Their behavior has not changed at all- this is a good sign, right? And is there anything else I can do, except wait? This is so awful and I feel so guilty about it. :(
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Have you figured out how he got to the other side? A cm gap doesn't sound likely unless it bends. Perhaps he went through the sides? What type of divider is it? It's a good idea to figure out how he did it so you can prevent it happening again.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
Have you figured out how he got to the other side? A cm gap doesn't sound likely unless it bends. Perhaps he went through the sides? What type of divider is it? It's a good idea to figure out how he did it so you can prevent it happening again.
here's a picture of it:

It's one of the diy dividers, and no it's not glued in at all. I didn't want anything permanently dividing the tank, in case I got another tank and moved one betta to that and let one have the whole 5 gal.

Its tight on the sides, so I doubt he got through there. I'm kind of assuming he made an extremely lucky jump across the sides at the one spot that the lid doesn't cover. :( I'm planning on taking another plastic sheet and sewing it to the top of the one that's currently the divider (making a T shape) so there's absolutely no way to get across again.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #4 
Vaughan06

I've made two DIY dividers and you NEED to glue it or get another tank. The sides can easily slide enough for a fish to swim through (usually near the top), and with a filter in there the current could push it slightly enough to make an opening.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 
Showbiz

Okay, I'll do that then. Is aquarium sealant permanent? Or can I scrape it off at some point if I decide to change my mind about a divided tank?

Do you think my crowntail will make it? He was my first betta :(
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm sorry this happened. I have a DIY divider just like that. I noticed if I'm not careful placing it in, one male invariably finds a way to the other side.

For your crowntail, you need to up the dosage of salt to 1 tsp. 1/2 tsp won't help him. If you have it, use Stress Coat. If you don't have it, I would recommend that or Kordon Fish Protector. Can you take a pic of the wound your guy has?

Keep the water super duper insanely clean. With a wound as big as you are describing, I am very worried about secondary infections of a bacterial/fungal nature. Change the water as often as you can.

I hope this helps you and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm sorry this happened. I have a DIY divider just like that. I noticed if I'm not careful placing it in, one male invariably finds a way to the other side.

For your crowntail, you need to up the dosage of salt to 1 tsp. 1/2 tsp won't help him. If you have it, use Stress Coat. If you don't have it, I would recommend that or Kordon Fish Protector. Can you take a pic of the wound your guy has?

Keep the water super duper insanely clean. With a wound as big as you are describing, I am very worried about secondary infections of a bacterial/fungal nature. Change the water as often as you can.

I hope this helps you and keep us posted.
Thanks for the suggestion Sakura, they're now in the 1 tsp/gal salt. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to get the water conditioner right now so as soon as I get a chance I'll get some Stress Coat.

My CT isn't as zippy as he was, I'm hoping that it's only because he's confined in the cup long-term. :(

Here are some pictures

I can honestly say that the open wound on the side of his head has gotten smaller. Fast healing, hopefully it continues at that speed

Just found that he has a wound on the side of his head too. Not nearly as bad as the CT's though

Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 
Sakura8

They're both handsome guys. Since your crowntail's wound is shrinking, I would guess he's not as active because he has no room to be active in. Hopefully when he's healed and out of QT, he'll perk back up. Are they both eating and acting normally otherwise?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

Hey Showbiz! If you don't want to glue the dividers you can use a paper clip to hold them in place from the top. I have a similar divider and thats what I've done, you just have to make sure the clip is on securely. Saves you a tank.
And your T idea is great, it should prevent jumping. :)
Your HM looks soo much like my Onishiki!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
They're both handsome guys. Since your crowntail's wound is shrinking, I would guess he's not as active because he has no room to be active in. Hopefully when he's healed and out of QT, he'll perk back up. Are they both eating and acting normally otherwise?
Thank you! :) My HM's body color is normally similar to the one in your avatar, but all this stress has dulled him a little bit.

I hope that's the case. And yes, I just fed them a few pellets and they gobbled it up like they usually do.